09-28-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
Im wondering if there is a preferred blade for a modern SE's, the Feather Pro or Kai Titan. I recently signed up for batch #2 of the Mongoose, which Im looking forward to. When using a DE I normally go with my Merkur 34c, Parker 94r, Gillette adjustable set at 5 or 6 all using a feather blade. On SE's I use personna gem's. Based on the aggressiveness and current blade choices which in your opinions would best suit me?

6 589
 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
By a slim margin I go with Feather Pro but the Kai blades are excellent. Too be honest what ever blade I can get a better deal on. For me the final verdict will be when I try each in a Mongoose.

119 13,011
 09-28-2014, 11:23 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I find the Kai Titan Mild blades to be a bit smoother than the Feather Pro blades but...YMMV.

46 18,074
 09-28-2014, 11:35 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would try both for comparison. I primarily use the Kai Mild and it won out over the Feather Pro by its initial smoothness. I could use the Feathers however it took about 2-3 shaves to tame it down.

59 4,382
 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM
User Info
I use the Feather Pros in my King Cobra as I think they are sharper than the Kai's & give me 6 shaves vs 4 from the Kai.You can't go wrong with either!

20 441
 09-28-2014, 11:52 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I use both blades stacked in my Cobra so I can simulate Sensor 2 blade wonderment....hoping to try 3 blades next week.

6 1,994
 09-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I tried both in the Cobra and found I could get (at most) 4-5 shaves from each blade. I found the Kai to be smoother, but the Feather Pro to be sharper. Again...YMMV. Get both and try for yourself.

47 1,901
 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I'm happy with both blades, they give me a good 15 shaves.

28 1,433
 09-28-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
Feather Pros by far in my mind, at least when compared to the Kai Milds. I've not tried the regular Kai's.

31 8,055
 09-28-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
(09-28-2014, 11:54 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I tried both in the Cobra and found I could get (at most) 4-5 shaves from each blade. I found the Kai to be smoother, but the Feather Pro to be sharper. Again...YMMV. Get both and try for yourself.
I like sharper (feather) but I've found I have to use astra in all my open combs or I tend to get a little razor burn. I'll just have to wait to test each when I get my Mongoose.

Is the Mongoose considered an agressive or mild razor?

6 589
 09-30-2014, 06:40 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I can't tell you about the Mongoose yet as I'm on batch 2 waiting list. But I finally received my order of Kai Titan Milds and I have to say its exceptionally smooth shaving blade.

I use the King Cobra and have been using the Feather Pro's it came with and its incredibly sharp blade but it takes maybe 2 shaves before the 'aggressiveness' tones down and I begin to get awesome shaves with it. 1st shave out of the pack the Milds are very very smooth and still sharp, I can't answer the longevity question but I was skeptical of the Kai's at first as the DE Kai's for me aren't anything special.

From my understanding the blade in the Feather system determines the aggressiveness by the blade exposure set by the 'locking holes' on the blade itself, so the Pro and Super are aggressive and even more aggressive b/c its longer. I saw a chart somewhere that outlined the blade width (back of blade to cutting edge) from Feather, I think, that explained how it was more/less aggressive in its use.

35 1,329
 09-30-2014, 07:04 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 06:40 AM)refles Wrote: I can't tell you about the Mongoose yet as I'm on batch 2 waiting list. But I finally received my order of Kai Titan Milds and I have to say its exceptionally smooth shaving blade.

I use the King Cobra and have been using the Feather Pro's it came with and its incredibly sharp blade but it takes maybe 2 shaves before the 'aggressiveness' tones down and I begin to get awesome shaves with it. 1st shave out of the pack the Milds are very very smooth and still sharp, I can't answer the longevity question but I was skeptical of the Kai's at first as the DE Kai's for me aren't anything special.

From my understanding the blade in the Feather system determines the aggressiveness by the blade exposure set by the 'locking holes' on the blade itself, so the Pro and Super are aggressive and even more aggressive b/c its longer. I saw a chart somewhere that outlined the blade width (back of blade to cutting edge) from Feather, I think, that explained how it was more/less aggressive in its use.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may begin with the Kai Titan first & if I'm not satisfied I'll move on to the Feathers.

6 589
 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Found it.. this should help illustrate what my 'ramble' meant above lol.. Plus forgot to mention that there appears to be blade thickness change as well....
Phil's got a special ending today on Titan Mild's (check his facebook page), I just grabbed a few packs since the first one performed so well and left a real bbs feel for me yesterday I got more to hedge it in anticipation of the mongoose... but at least I know its great on the KC right now.

[Image: z7KyQ56.jpg]

Good luck

35 1,329
 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM
User Info
I just found the Feather Pros to be the best of the bunch for me, but I still didn't like them as they were just too unpredictable. Blush
Maybe, they will improve in the Mongoose or the Hunt/Lee. Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I agree, from a few videos that popped up recently it may have to do with the blade holding process the Mongoose and eventual Hunt/Lee employs to hold the blades securely which may eventually tell each of us which blade we really end up with.

35 1,329
 09-30-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 07:50 AM)refles Wrote: Found it.. this should help illustrate what my 'ramble' meant above lol.. Plus forgot to mention that there appears to be blade thickness change as well....
Phil's got a special ending today on Titan Mild's (check his facebook page), I just grabbed a few packs since the first one performed so well and left a real bbs feel for me yesterday I got more to hedge it in anticipation of the mongoose... but at least I know its great on the KC right now.

[Image: z7KyQ56.jpg]

Good luck
Thanks for the pic.It does make it easier to understand but have many choices to choose from feather not even counting Kai.Huh

6 589
 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
very true, but at a certain point when conversation isn't enough... the acquisition part takes over. If the answers aren't exactly what your looking for then its only natural to try it out.

but if you understand the chart you can only simply assume that's how the others work, I did the same and ended up liking the Kai on first try since it was an immediate impact

35 1,329
 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 11:51 AM)refles Wrote: very true, but at a certain point when conversation isn't enough... the acquisition part takes over. If the answers aren't exactly what your looking for then its only natural to try it out.

but if you understand the chart you can only simply assume that's how the others work, I did the same and ended up liking the Kai on first try since it was an immediate impact

With YMMV there's always an uncertainty in my mind. I'll eventually try all the blades, if for nothing else to end my curiosity.

6 589
 10-05-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
(10-01-2014, 08:56 AM)captain caveman Wrote: With YMMV there's always an uncertainty in my mind. I'll eventually try all the blades, if for nothing else to end my curiosity.

I think I own almost every type of blade that fits in the Mongoose, with the exception of the Kai blade with guards. If I were to put together a one-time "blade sampler" offering would it be of interest to you or others? I have done it for individual members over the years, but might be convinced to sacrifice a pack of each type to help people make an informed decision.

61 484
 10-06-2014, 03:29 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
(10-05-2014, 11:53 AM)poonjaji Wrote: I think I own almost every type of blade that fits in the Mongoose, with the exception of the Kai blade with guards. If I were to put together a one-time "blade sampler" offering would it be of interest to you or others? I have done it for individual members over the years, but might be convinced to sacrifice a pack of each type to help people make an informed decision.

Michael, Your generosity just bowls me over. This will be a very helpful idea for many.

81 557