09-28-2014, 10:32 AM
User Info
Hello all,

I have been more sensitive to scritch lately and realized that my only dense scritchless brushes are of the two band/Manchurian type. These include:

Simpson recent two band
Wiborg two band
WSP Mountain Manchurian

Does anyone have any recommendations of a non-custom dense three band that is scritch free? Some scrub is OK, but I am not really looking for a scrubby brush. I can take scritch sometimes but hate prickle. Thanks for any recommendations!

Regards,

Ntrnwu

I haven't had good luck with Simpson super, BTW. All have been prickly for me.

1 255
 09-29-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
Is current Rooney Heritage three band what I'm looking for? Or Shavemac Silvertip D01? Thanks for any advice on this.

1 255
 09-29-2014, 12:05 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Sounds like a Simpson Super would be right up your alley...

143 1,984
 09-29-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
+1 Something in Super from Simpson would get my vote. I've got 4 Simpsons in Best, and all of them except for one have just a bit of scritch. My most recent was a Commodore X1 and it has ALMOST no scritch at all. Face feel and performance, it was a steal at $60!

21 555
 09-29-2014, 03:32 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
For scritchless 3 band I would recommend Thater brushes. Simpson brushes are denser obviously, but Thater is epitome of super soft.

I am not personally a fan of the Thater brand, but their brushes are the softest.

13 141
 09-29-2014, 05:27 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies. I am not risking Simpson Super again as I have been stuck twice with prickly brushes. Thater worries me for lack of density/backbone.

I am curious about the newer Rooney three bands....

1 255
 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(09-29-2014, 05:27 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Thanks for all the replies. I am not risking Simpson Super again as I have been stuck twice with prickly brushes. Thater worries me for lack of density/backbone.

I am curious about the newer Rooney three bands....

I have no experience with newer script print Rooney or the "Heritage" as seen at Handlebar Supply. I would, however, not give up on Simpson Super and there are always the awesome older block print Rooney Super Badgers around on occasion. Look for some earlier Truefitt and Hill with "Made in England" stamps as they were Rooney made as well.

143 1,984
 09-30-2014, 02:21 AM
User Info
I own two Rooney Heritage Stubbys in 3-band. The tips are nice and soft with fair backbone. Overall I have been pleased with them...but it seems I use one of my two band brushes at about the rate of 20 to 1. Not sure why this is though...I'm going to use one of the Rooneys this morning!

74 2,272
 09-30-2014, 05:10 AM
User Info
I would recommend the Shavemac D01 3-band. Dense but not as much backbone as the 2-band.

10 2,062
 09-30-2014, 05:17 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 02:21 AM)merkur man Wrote: I own two Rooney Heritage Stubbys in 3-band. The tips are nice and soft with fair backbone. Overall I have been pleased with them...but it seems I use one of my two band brushes at about the rate of 20 to 1. Not sure why this is though...I'm going to use one of the Rooneys this morning!
After using my Rooney stubby 2 heritage three band (wow that's a mouthful!)this morning I think I would have to concur with the Shavemac 3-band recommendation. I can detect just a slight amount of scritch using circular motions but none using painting strokes. If your criteria is no scritch I am not sure the Rooney is the brush for you.
The Shavemac 3-Band is beautiful though nice soft face feel and no scritch on my brush.

74 2,272
 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
^^^ Lots of great advice above.

I must respectfully disagree with the Shavemac three band DO1 recommendation though, every single one I have used has had a degree of scritch or really heavy scrub. That is the nature of the DO1 series both two and three band. However, the brand new two band silvertip from Shavemac is right up your alley! Super soft tips, no scritch or any real scrub, great backbone/flowthru/density. Simpson two band would also be a great choice but it is not as dense as the Shavemac two band silvertip.

69 2,185
 09-30-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 07:35 AM)cessnabird Wrote: ^^^ Lots of great advice above.

I must respectfully disagree with the Shavemac three band DO1 recommendation though, every single one I have used has had a degree of scritch or really heavy scrub. That is the nature of the DO1 series both two and three band. However, the brand new two band silvertip from Shavemac is right up your alley! Super soft tips, no scritch or any real scrub, great backbone/flowthru/density. Simpson two band would also be a great choice but it is not as dense as the Shavemac two band silvertip.

That's my experience with the D01 3-band too. Tips are soft, but there is certainly some scritch do it. Also, this post re-assures me that I was sent the wrong knot by Shavemac last week. Because the 2-band I got (and have since mailed back) was absolutely more scrubby AND scritchy than my D01 3-band and doesn't match your experience in any way. Thanks for sharing your comparison.

0 83
 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 07:35 AM)cessnabird Wrote: ^^^ Lots of great advice above.

+1 I also find this with the M&F Heritage 3-Band, but less so and even less with the Simpsons Super.

83 21,077
 09-30-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
Cool--thanks much! I will look further at the Shavemac lineup. I have my heart set on a three band though to change things up....

1 255
 09-30-2014, 08:54 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
As I mentioned in your other thread the Da Vinci will blow your mind! Sure it isn't as prestigious as a Simpson or Rooney, but I haven't found any three-band brush that matches the density, backbone and softness combined.

144 2,746
 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM
User Info
Hmmm....I didn't have another thread on this topic or on Da Vinci brushes. Huh

I took the plunge and ordered my first brush from Lee Sabini. I kept the order simple (medium sized three band brush). It sounds like I will be getting a "Stubby" of some type of about 24/51 dimensions. Sounds like a nice brush, hopefully like a miniaturized version of a Somerset CH2 Best that is one of my favorites. If the scritch of that brush can be dialed back a bit in this M&F, I may be really thrilled. I will post when the brush is received.

1 255
 10-13-2014, 09:29 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to scritch, even the slightest amount. Thanks heavens their are now XL sized, very soft synthetics that perform extremely well. Biggrin

38 5,107
 10-14-2014, 12:25 AM
User Info
When It comes SOFT DENSITY & BACKBONE, look no further than sHavemac D01 3band S/Tip.

The quality is outstanding, so to is the fit & Finish.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 10-14-2014, 07:24 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(10-13-2014, 08:08 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Hmmm....I didn't have another thread on this topic or on Da Vinci brushes. Huh

I took the plunge and ordered my first brush from Lee Sabini. I kept the order simple (medium sized three band brush). It sounds like I will be getting a "Stubby" of some type of about 24/51 dimensions. Sounds like a nice brush, hopefully like a miniaturized version of a Somerset CH2 Best that is one of my favorites. If the scritch of that brush can be dialed back a bit in this M&F, I may be really thrilled. I will post when the brush is received.

I apologize, I mistakenly made a bad assumption. There was another identical thread started at another forum and I know now it was just a coincidence. I look forward to reading your opinion on your three-band M&F!

144 2,746
 10-14-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
Thanks, Dave--I did investigate the Da Vinci's following your recommendation and it sounded like the density might not be there. The hair is of a very nice quality, it seems, and we certainly know the knot receives quite a bit of handmade attention. I've read mixed things about the handles, however.

I will post back on this. I did nudge Lee to give it the Rooney-style "Super Badger" nomenclature rather than "Blonde Badger." We shall see....

1 255