09-28-2014, 05:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
For years, my favorite after shave/cologne scent has been St. John's West Indian Lime. After I was married, I backed off using it for a few decades, because the effect that it had -- back in the day -- on gorgeous babes would not be appreciated by my life's partner.

But my bride and I now are "mature," and I would love to have a shave soap or a shave cream with that scent.

I have used KMF Key Lime shave cream. It's good. But if St. John's West Indian Lime is Paul Robeson, or William Warfield, singing "Old Man River," KMF is Tiny Tim in falsetto singing, "Tiptoe through the Tulips." Mike's Natural Lime shave soap, of which I have a sample, is very much on the Tiny Tim side of Lime.

I know that Trufitt & Hill makes a Lime shave soap with the magic modifier, "West Indian." But it is pricey to take a flyer on. Does it sing BASS? Are there other "serious" (non-soprano) Lime options out there?

0 1,048
 09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Castle Forbes

17 437
 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
User Info
Best lime is Castle Forbes. Truefitt and Hill cream is nice also, but I haven't heard too many positive things about their soap. GFT Lime is OK, smells kinda soapy to me, but has excellent performance. I have TOBS on its way but have not received it yet.

61 1,710
 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-30-2014, 04:04 PM)NSmalls Wrote: Best lime is Castle Forbes. Truefitt and Hill cream is nice also, but I haven't heard too many positive things about their soap. GFT Lime is OK, smells kinda soapy to me, but has excellent performance. I have TOBS on its way but have not received it yet.

Thank you; I appreciate the pointers to Castle Forbes. I never have experienced Castle Forbes Lime, and -- at ~$40/jar -- it is not likely that ever I shall be a Castle Forbes user. I would be open to trying it, but apparently Castle Forbes does not have sample sizes, and there are no local brick and mortar retailers where I could hold a jar in my hands, so it is too much like a step off a high cliff for my cautious personality.

Moreover, the (very positive) reviews of Castle Forbes Lime on Amazon.com are replete with phrases like "grove of lime trees" and (worse) "lime candy": a far cry from the scent that I seek. As I tried to state in my original post, what I am seeking is not "a" lime scent, but a particular kind of lime scent, one that sings deep bass notes.

Reading up a bit on what I regard to be the examplar of the "basso profundo" kind of lime that I am looking for, St. John's West Indian Lime, I find that it is "spiced" with Vetiver, the earthy, musty scent that often dominates on its own, plus a bit of bergamot. When those notes are added to the predominant lime of the St. John's West Indian aftershave or cologne, lime remains the melody, but it is ever so much different from the scent that fills the nostrils when simply squeezing a lime for a kicker to a gin drink or letting a lime-flavor hard candy melt in one's mouth.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I need to commission Al of Al's shaving creams to make me a custom clone of the St. John's scent, but, not having worked with Al before, I have only his generic online word that he can match custom scents. Has anyone here asked Al to make a custom scent? How was your experience?

0 1,048
 10-04-2014, 07:55 PM
User Info
Two things I would suggest:

1) Go to the Washington Square Mall and check out Crabtree & Evelynn. They have a West Indian Limes cream that has some nice performance and a great scent that is musky and complex, and not at all sweet or citrusy-heavy. They do demos there, and the staff is quite nice (although they have no idea how to portion out the right amount of cream, the girl I was helped by squeezed a full ounce out of the tub and tried to lather it!) I think the store manager's name is Maliah? I can't recall exactly!

2) If C&E is a no-go, Al's cream is certainly one of the best creams you can get. He does do custom scents and does a lot of work with his fragrances. I ordered a custom scent from him, and I would strongly suggest you take as much direction as you can in the scent design process. For me, since I was not comfortable describing what ratios of oils and scent profiles, I let him tweak the scent towards his preferences. His preferences sometimes are divisive! For me the final result was nice, but not quite what I was looking for, but it also was not a straight-up clone and was a "Vetiver, Leather, Rose" thing that just ended up a little muddled for my taste.

16 249
 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM
User Info
FWIW, Castle Forbes will not be your kind of lime.

T&H West Indian Limes is nice in the cream form. You can order samples of all their creams for a very affordable price online. Then you can try it for about 3-4 shaves before deciding to spend the money on a full tub or tube.

I love PURE lime scent, too, so I will put in a plug for Mystic Water Soap's Lime shaving soap, but if you want a spicy lime, this one will also not fill the bill. However, the scent strength is perfect and it lasts all the way to the end of the puck.

2 1,387
 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-04-2014, 07:55 PM)explodyii Wrote: Two things I would suggest:

1) Go to the Washington Square Mall and check out Crabtree & Evelynn. They have a West Indian Limes cream that has some nice performance and a great scent that is musky and complex, and not at all sweet or citrusy-heavy. They do demos there, and the staff is quite nice (although they have no idea how to portion out the right amount of cream, the girl I was helped by squeezed a full ounce out of the tub and tried to lather it!) I think the store manager's name is Maliah? I can't recall exactly!

I did go to C&E Washington Square today. That outlet had no Lime shaving cream, but did have some Lime shaving soap in a tub. Unfortunately, as a hard puck, the soap had barely any scent at all; I'm sure it would open up if lathered up, but that was not an option. The shop did have a sampler bottle of Lime cologne, which did smell lime-y (unlike the shaving soap tub), and I sprayed some on both wrists to see of my body warmth would open it up. Definitely, it differs from the Lime Life Saver candy smell of most lime scents, but it degraded in seconds to a dominant corriander scent, and now there is no hint of the lime where I sprayed my wrists.

Quote: 2) If C&E is a no-go, Al's cream is certainly one of the best creams you can get. He does do custom scents and does a lot of work with his fragrances. I ordered a custom scent from him, and I would strongly suggest you take as much direction as you can in the scent design process. For me, since I was not comfortable describing what ratios of oils and scent profiles, I let him tweak the scent towards his preferences. His preferences sometimes are divisive! For me the final result was nice, but not quite what I was looking for, but it also was not a straight-up clone and was a "Vetiver, Leather, Rose" thing that just ended up a little muddled for my taste.

Thanks for the encouragement to engage in a mini joint venture with Al through his custom door. How did you explain the scent you were seeking to Al? Did you send him actual samples, or merely verbal descriptions?

In the meantime, I am thinking that perhaps what draws me to the St. John's West Indian Lime is the vetiver component, which is not separately identifiable on the nose (at least not for my nose), but may be what steers the dominant lime note away from the cheap lime candy smell.

(10-06-2014, 01:19 PM)kingfisher Wrote: FWIW, Castle Forbes will not be your kind of lime.

I was beginning to come to that conclusion from reading the numerous reviews on Amazon.com. Most of the reviews there are effusive about the quality of the cream for shaving, but those who were descriptive of the scent in particular used descriptions like, "lime candy wonderland."

Quote:T&H West Indian Limes is nice in the cream form. You can order samples of all their creams for a very affordable price online. Then you can try it for about 3-4 shaves before deciding to spend the money on a full tub or tube.

That sounds like a course worth pursuing. Where did you see the samples online?

Quote:I love PURE lime scent, too, so I will put in a plug for Mystic Water Soap's Lime shaving soap, but if you want a spicy lime, this one will also not fill the bill. However, the scent strength is perfect and it lasts all the way to the end of the puck.

I'll check that out, too.

0 1,048
 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM
User Info
(10-07-2014, 03:43 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: I did go to C&E Washington Square today. That outlet had no Lime shaving cream, but did have some Lime shaving soap in a tub. Unfortunately, as a hard puck, the soap had barely any scent at all; I'm sure it would open up if lathered up, but that was not an option. The shop did have a sampler bottle of Lime cologne, which did smell lime-y (unlike the shaving soap tub), and I sprayed some on both wrists to see of my body warmth would open it up. Definitely, it differs from the Lime Life Saver candy smell of most lime scents, but it degraded in seconds to a dominant corriander scent, and now there is no hint of the lime where I sprayed my wrists.

Thanks for the encouragement to engage in a mini joint venture with Al through his custom door. How did you explain the scent you were seeking to Al? Did you send him actual samples, or merely verbal descriptions?

In the meantime, I am thinking that perhaps what draws me to the St. John's West Indian Lime is the vetiver component, which is not separately identifiable on the nose (at least not for my nose), but may be what steers the dominant lime note away from the cheap lime candy smell.

Yeah definitely stay away from the C&E hard soaps. They don't do much at all but foam like bubble bath. The creams are decent, and the scents are stronger with it. For what it's worth, the cologne scents weren't really on the mark for what the creams smell like.

With regards to Al, I had just done a verbal back and forth asking about a vetiver blend. I asked him what his thoughts were and reached out to Will from B&M to get a sense of what sorts of pairings work well. Al suggested Ylang-ylang as the major counterpoint to the vetiver with some sort of leathery mid-notes to round it out. I found that the scent was a bit too heavy on the ylang-ylang for my tastes, but was otherwise fantastic. Vetiver oils actually promote some VERY creamy lather.

I would definitely ask Al if he's done some work with Lime scents because he does so many "scent of the month" things that I lose track. His products will last a good 4-6 months so it's not a situation where it's feasible to pick up all his new releases.

16 249
 10-08-2014, 05:58 AM
User Info
You should be able to find it from here:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/sample-packs/

2 1,387
 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-04-2014, 07:11 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 04:04 PM)NSmalls Wrote: Best lime is Castle Forbes. Truefitt and Hill cream is nice also, but I haven't heard too many positive things about their soap. GFT Lime is OK, smells kinda soapy to me, but has excellent performance. I have TOBS on its way but have not received it yet.

Thank you; I appreciate the pointers to Castle Forbes. I never have experienced Castle Forbes Lime, and -- at ~$40/jar -- it is not likely that ever I shall be a Castle Forbes user. I would be open to trying it, but apparently Castle Forbes does not have sample sizes, and there are no local brick and mortar retailers where I could hold a jar in my hands, so it is too much like a step off a high cliff for my cautious personality.

Moreover, the (very positive) reviews of Castle Forbes Lime on Amazon.com are replete with phrases like "grove of lime trees" and (worse) "lime candy": a far cry from the scent that I seek. As I tried to state in my original post, what I am seeking is not "a" lime scent, but a particular kind of lime scent, one that sings deep bass notes.

Reading up a bit on what I regard to be the examplar of the "basso profundo" kind of lime that I am looking for, St. John's West Indian Lime, I find that it is "spiced" with Vetiver, the earthy, musty scent that often dominates on its own, plus a bit of bergamot. When those notes are added to the predominant lime of the St. John's West Indian aftershave or cologne, lime remains the melody, but it is ever so much different from the scent that fills the nostrils when simply squeezing a lime for a kicker to a gin drink or letting a lime-flavor hard candy melt in one's mouth.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I need to commission Al of Al's shaving creams to make me a custom clone of the St. John's scent, but, not having worked with Al before, I have only his generic online word that he can match custom scents. Has anyone here asked Al to make a custom scent? How was your experience?
You can get a sample here
http://shavenook.com/thread-the-wet-shav...ple-shoppe

(10-07-2014, 06:21 PM)explodyii Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 03:43 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: I did go to C&E Washington Square today. That outlet had no Lime shaving cream, but did have some Lime shaving soap in a tub. Unfortunately, as a hard puck, the soap had barely any scent at all; I'm sure it would open up if lathered up, but that was not an option. The shop did have a sampler bottle of Lime cologne, which did smell lime-y (unlike the shaving soap tub), and I sprayed some on both wrists to see of my body warmth would open it up. Definitely, it differs from the Lime Life Saver candy smell of most lime scents, but it degraded in seconds to a dominant corriander scent, and now there is no hint of the lime where I sprayed my wrists.

Yeah definitely stay away from the C&E hard soaps. They don't do much at all but foam like bubble bath. The creams are decent, and the scents are stronger with it. For what it's worth, the cologne scents weren't really on the mark for what the creams smell like.

With regards to Al, I had just done a verbal back and forth asking about a vetiver blend. I asked him what his thoughts were and reached out to Will from B&M to get a sense of what sorts of pairings work well. Al suggested Ylang-ylang as the major counterpoint to the vetiver with some sort of leathery mid-notes to round it out. I found that the scent was a bit too heavy on the ylang-ylang for my tastes, but was otherwise fantastic. Vetiver oils actually promote some VERY creamy lather.

I would definitely ask Al if he's done some work with Lime scents because he does so many "scent of the month" things that I lose track. His products will last a good 4-6 months so it's not a situation where it's feasible to pick up all his new releases.
Hmmm, I have two C&E soaps, a vintage Mysore Sandlewood and a Nomad and they both perform top notch for me.

7 2,279
 10-09-2014, 04:33 AM
User Info
(10-08-2014, 01:50 PM)Mouser Wrote: Hmmm, I have two C&E soaps, a vintage Mysore Sandlewood and a Nomad and they both perform top notch for me.

They reformulated early this year, but older pucks should be fine of course. I tried the Indian Sandalwood and it was horrific. Got a demo of the others in the store, same deal. Sad times, since I really like the West Indian Limes and the Sandalwood in particular.

16 249
 10-09-2014, 05:01 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-09-2014, 04:33 AM)explodyii Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 01:50 PM)Mouser Wrote: Hmmm, I have two C&E soaps, a vintage Mysore Sandlewood and a Nomad and they both perform top notch for me.

They reformulated early this year, but older pucks should be fine of course. I tried the Indian Sandalwood and it was horrific. Got a demo of the others in the store, same deal. Sad times, since I really like the West Indian Limes and the Sandalwood in particular.
Why do they do that? Why do they always have to try and fix something that ain't broke, to be colloquial.

7 2,279