09-28-2014, 05:50 PM
User Info
My "daily driver" blades are Personna Lab Blues. I like them, but have not experimented much with others. My wife surprised me with a sampler pack, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where I should start. I'll likely use them in my '50s Super Speed. I keep gravitating back to it.

Anyhow, here's what's in the pack:

Sharp Durablade
Dorco ST-301
Shark Super Chrome
BiC Super Platinum
Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Dorco ST300
7 am Hi Platinum Durablade
Treet Classic

Thanks for your input.

0 1,055
 09-28-2014, 08:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'Life is like a box of razorblades. You never know what you're going to get.' It's a sample pack, you will be trying them all so just grab one.

2 3,171
 09-28-2014, 09:00 PM
User Info
A nice spread - including both one of my favourites and one I avoid Tongue

Start at one end, but keep notes so it's easier to compare and contrast the blades at the end of it all... lessons learned and all that Undecided

3 4,373
 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
What a lovely spouse! Plus she makes shaving soaps...you hit a home run...as for the blades I'd say out of that group just go randomly and try to keep your other shaving variables as consistent as possible. Same prep, cream, and razor, then evaluate the post shave feel prior to A/S if you use one. I'd say the Personna labs your using are likely to be in the top three for both sharpness and irritation free smoothness, compared to the sampler blades you listed. IMHO I would (if you haven't already) also try Feather blades as they are consistently at the very top of the "sharp" scale...just use a light touch and you'll have no worries. Also Permasharps and Super Iridiums are a tad less sharp than the feathers, but tend to provide very smooth shaves and are favored by many. It also couldn't hurt to try some Gillette blades too, my personal favorite are the platinum black packs, and stainless green packs. LORD platinum class and Treet platinum are my go to inexpensive blades, both definitely worth a try.

Unfortunately blades are hard to recommend without knowing at least a few things about your face and beard. How thick are your whiskers?, say on a scale from 1-5(5 being very thick), and how sensitive is your skin to the whole shaving process?, again 1-5 (5 being highly sensitive, cant go against grain ever, or very frequent easy razor burn)...knowing these two things along with skill level, definitely will help Gent's to recommend blades that stand a better chance of working for you. My recommendations are based on my thick beard growth around 4ish and reasonably sensitive skin 3ish. Have fun exploring!

4 794
 09-29-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info. I do like the Personnas a lot. I think I can get Feathers locally, so I might try them too.

I would say that my beard is pretty thick - probably a 4 at least, and my skin is fairly sensitive - maybe a 3 or 4.

Yes, I am quite lucky to have a wife that makes soap and buys me shaving goodies. I should thank her more often. I suppose that I could temper my gratitude a bit by reminding her that she called me crazy when I suggested she try soap making - Don't want her getting a big head. Smile

0 1,055
 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
User Info
Brian, this is going to very subjective, but I really like the Perma Sharp Supers and the original Super Iridiums. Many gents say that the Polsilver Super Iridiums are equal to the original ones, but I don't find it. Regardless, both, or all three mentioned here might work well for you. In addition, they are still being produced. Biggrin

There really are just so many blades that you might find work well for you and you'll just have to experiment.
By the way, I didn't like any of the blades you have in your pack, but, who knows, you may just find a keeper or two! Biggrin
Good luck and have fun.

82 21,056
 09-30-2014, 05:45 AM
User Info
You have a wide selection of blades from unusable (IMO) to OK blades in the lineup you already have. Now you need to get some sharp and smooth blades in it. Celestino beat me to it by suggesting what he did.

You might also try Gillette 7 O'clock yellows, Supermax blades and the Personna Med Preps (hospital use). I have found them to be different as compared to some of the Labs that I've purchased in the past.

32 6,445
 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM
User Info
I started with the BiCs.. I wondered if they shaved the way I remember the BiC disposables I once "borrowed" from my dad shaving, i.e., super dull and tuggy.

So far, I'd say they do, but I'll finish out the week, probably trying another one a bit later this week.

This could take a while...

0 1,055
 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM
User Info
just ordered two of your soaps and am looking forward to them. I am veering from a cream fetish to try something new. actually pulled out my only boar today.

73 1,263
 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 05:10 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: I started with the BiCs.. I wondered if they shaved the way I remember the BiC disposables I once "borrowed" from my dad shaving, i.e., super dull and tuggy.

So far, I'd say they do, but I'll finish out the week, probably trying another one a bit later this week.

That's my experience with the BiC blades too... good thing it's not just me who find them that way, although I'm sure someone finds them to be their ideal blade Smile

3 4,373
 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 05:10 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: I started with the BiCs.. I wondered if they shaved the way I remember the BiC disposables I once "borrowed" from my dad shaving, i.e., super dull and tuggy.

Yup. I was testing blades for 1 1/2 years. At the end of it I was burnt and just wanted to enjoy my shaves - no testing.

But I did learn a lot about what I liked in a blade. I tested somewhere near 35 blades (guesstimate, I'm not going to count them right now) and found maybe 8 that were found acceptable. BICs weren't in that few, but they weren't the worst.

Just be sure to keep notes. The more the observations the better when you go back to them later on.

32 6,445
 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 06:04 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: just ordered two of your soaps and am looking forward to them. I am veering from a cream fetish to try something new. actually pulled out my only boar today.

Thanks for your support! Let us know what you think - email, PM, whatever.

I've got an entry-level Omega boar that I've been itching to try, but I thought I'd experiment with blades first.

Good to know I'm not the only one that finds these dull. Maybe I'll skip trying a second one. My face does not seem to like them.

I will be sure to take notes.

0 1,055
 10-03-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
I was lucky I guess I only tried a handful of blades and found what I needed, personna reds, derby and astra

0 98
 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
From the blades in your sampler, I've tried Treet and Astra in a 50s Super Speed. Treet was good. Astra was noticeably better.

2 286
 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
User Info
Make sure you save a few for later. I've had blades that I didn't like at first but worked great in a different razor and as my technique improved.

Hated Feathers due to poor technique. Then they became my favorite, especially using a slant. That was until I started using the R41. Feathers were a little too much in that razor. Astra SPs were my favorite but I found them to be too dull compared to others as my technique improved. Now they're perfect in the R41.

4 355
 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM
User Info
(10-09-2014, 10:08 AM)Karlo Wrote: From the blades in your sampler, I've tried Treet and Astra in a 50s Super Speed. Treet was good. Astra was noticeably better.

I will be getting back to my blade experimentation shortly. I'll try those next.

(10-09-2014, 01:52 PM)Shakamoto Wrote: Make sure you save a few for later. I've had blades that I didn't like at first but worked great in a different razor and as my technique improved.

Hated Feathers due to poor technique. Then they became my favorite, especially using a slant. That was until I started using the R41. Feathers were a little too much in that razor. Astra SPs were my favorite but I found them to be too dull compared to others as my technique improved. Now they're perfect in the R41.

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping some. I think my technique is pretty good. I stuck with the Lab Blues for a while to make sure I got to a decent level of proficiency before I tried to experiment.

I figure I'll try the ones that don't seem to work out in the Super Speed in other razors. I'm going to have to get myself a special blades notebook!

0 1,055
 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
Astra SP's are still at the top of my list.

1 108
 10-10-2014, 06:39 PM
User Info
You gotta try them to see what works best. For me...Feather and a slant gives me BBS shave every time.

1 214
 10-14-2014, 03:55 AM
User Info
My daughter picked the Astras for me to try next. Two shaves in (including one with 4 day's growth), and I have to say I like them a lot. They're sharp enough to cut through my tough beard, but my sensitive skin doesn't seem irritated at all. No cuts either. I'm definitely happy with these.

0 1,055
 10-20-2014, 02:24 PM
User Info
I used the Treet Classics today. I've not read good things, but the first shave was pretty darn good in the Super Speed. Under my chin was a little challenging, but over all, pretty good. We'll see how a second shave goes.

Are these carbon steel? Any idea how many shaves I might get out of them?

0 1,055