09-28-2014, 07:15 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Both Ravi and Ben have given excellent reviews of their experience with synthetics, which doesn't need to be repeated. As far as I know, no one has reviewed the Edwin Jagger XL brush, although Johnny has highly recommended the 23mm EJ.

I've included a photo to compare the EJ XL with the others that are now popular. From left to right, (1) Grooming Co., (2) Plisson, (3) Mühle STF 2.0 25mm, (4) Edwin Jagger XL 25mm (sorry, the EJ label is on the opposite side).

[Image: xQ22q3F.jpg]

I first became excited about synthetics after trying the Plisson. It lathered like crazy, and had wonderfully soft tips that I had not experienced with a badger. Although it performed well, it felt a little floppy when face lathering. I was eager to try the Grooming Co. brush, as it uses the same fiber as the Plisson, but with a shorter loft and a larger knot (25mm). However, it feels "stubby" to me, with little splay, and I tend to enjoy large handles and a larger bloom to the knot. My next purchase, after reading Ravi's reviews, was the Mühle 25mm, which I immediately felt was the best brush that I had used in the past 52 years. The handle fit my large hands, it had the large knot that I prefer, the tips were soft, and it was great for either face or bowl lathering. The one in the photo was Ben's, as he complained that it held then released water that would run down his arm. For some reason, I was able to shake out the right amount of water before loading, then slowly add water while lathering, and avoid that situation. Or it could be that the water in Oregon is different than the water in Australia. I've been happy with my three Mühle's, one of each color, but still kept hearing Johnny praise the Edwin Jagger, even though the knot was the same as the Mühle. I finally gave in and ordered an XL from England. For those of you with large hands like I have, the handle is a dream to hold. When lathering, I'd swear the the knot was larger than the Mühle, but my measurements agreed that they were the same, and they look similar in the photo. For whatever reason, perhaps the EJ is denser than the Mühle, the difference feels like the difference between a 24mm badger and a 28mm extra dense badger brush. And it doesn't have a tendency to suddenly release water when splayed during face lathering (you should have gotten this one, Ben). I think I've found my perfect brush. I've started rotating every other day with my Simpsons, Shavemacs, and Thäter brushes, but so far, I still prefer the EJ XL Synthetic. So much so, I sold my Simpson Cubby 2 Manchurian. Go figure. Perhaps this will change with time. But anyone preferring large brushes and wanting to try an excellent synthetic, you can't go wrong with the EJ XL, the granddaddy of them all.

38 5,113
 09-28-2014, 07:43 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review and the pic. The handle on the EJ looks great (I like chunkier handles). I have a 23mm Muhle... might look into this EJ XL further on down the road.

7 315
 09-28-2014, 11:14 PM
User Info
Helpful stuff. I hope to give a synthetic a whirl one of these days. My EJ in super is a good deal smaller than the XL, but as a noob, I've enjoyed it quite a lot. Thanks for the review.

Michael

15 145
 09-29-2014, 03:07 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Thanks for posting this. I am going to have to put the EJ on the must have list. I too am really enjoying the synthetic knots.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-29-2014, 04:36 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Great review, Richard.

The EJ XL handle is striking ... and looks to be quite comfortable.

I concur regarding the increasing use of synthetics in my den.

102 18,652
 09-29-2014, 05:14 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Excellent Review Richard. I'm waiting for my EJ Synthetic XL to arrive from England. I ordered one in imitation horn and can't wait!

10 963
 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
User Info
Richard, great to hear you are enjoying the synthetics, so much! Smile

83 21,081
 09-30-2014, 06:19 AM
User Info
Not bad at all for less than $70 shipped. Great review and pictures. Thanks.

31 8,057
 09-30-2014, 06:21 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Richard ... thank you for the enabling ... order placed yesterday!

102 18,652
 09-30-2014, 06:50 AM
User Info
Wonder if this will be the case with the Jagger as it was with the Muhle: the "sweet spot" in the line-up resides with the largest brush?

29 1,776
 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The horn handle looks amazing. I have no horn brush handles. Yet.

59 4,503
 09-30-2014, 08:21 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Ordered as well. The Muhle XL is my favorite brush out of the Simpsons 2 bands, Manchurians, Thaters you name it. If this Edwin Jagger XL is as good as Richard says I will be in heaven.

Also Muhle is now selling one of the smaller knots with a Buffalo Horn handle. These synths really are the cream of the crop IMO in terms of performance.

Max

42 1,041
 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
User Info
This is my first synthetic brush and I love it. Happy with the handle size and shape the fiber is all I hoped for and it was a good price. My only other brushes are Omega boar and EJ badger. This one is my favorite.

0 155
 10-03-2014, 07:54 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-01-2014, 08:33 AM)stephengilley Wrote: This is my first synthetic brush and I love it. Happy with the handle size and shape the fiber is all I hoped for and it was a good price. My only other brushes are Omega boar and EJ badger. This one is my favorite.

I'm glad that you like it. It's hard to beat soft tips on a large brush with this much backbone.

(09-30-2014, 06:21 AM)Agravic Wrote: Richard ... thank you for the enabling ... order placed yesterday!

You are very welcome. I have a drawer full of soaps and brushes that you enable me. The only reason I ever tried a synthetic was from your reviews. Now I'm hooked on them.

38 5,113
 10-04-2014, 01:46 AM
User Info
This morning was my second use of this EJ brush. I thought the Muhle was excellent but this XL raises the game to an even higher level. With brushes like this, one certainly begins to question the necessity for badgers.

31 5,293
 10-04-2014, 01:47 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Ha!

Glad to know I'm not alone in terms of having these thoughts, David.

102 18,652
 10-04-2014, 09:23 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-04-2014, 01:46 AM)Optometrist Wrote: This morning was my second use of this EJ brush. I thought the Muhle was excellent but this XL raises the game to an even higher level. With brushes like this, one certainly begins to question the necessity for badgers.

I'm happy to know that you are also a fan of this brush. Can you explain why it feels so much better, and with more backbone than the same 25mm knot that is in the Mühle? Is it denser?

38 5,113
 10-05-2014, 02:08 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-04-2014, 09:23 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 01:46 AM)Optometrist Wrote: This morning was my second use of this EJ brush. I thought the Muhle was excellent but this XL raises the game to an even higher level. With brushes like this, one certainly begins to question the necessity for badgers.

I'm happy to know that you are also a fan of this brush. Can you explain why it feels so much better, and with more backbone than the same 25mm knot that is in the Mühle? Is it denser?

I just checked a couple of sites to see what the factory loft settings were for the Muhle and EJ. The Muhle has a factory loft setting of 62mm while the EJ has a factory loft setting of 55mm. If that is true that is your answer as to why the EJ feels denser with more backbone.

I had a Muhle XL V2 synthetic rest to 54mm in a custom and can tell you it was a huge improvement and can imagine how good the EJ knot is.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-05-2014, 02:17 AM
User Info
(10-05-2014, 02:08 AM)BobH Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 09:23 PM)evnpar Wrote:

I just checked a couple of sites to see what the factory loft settings were for the Muhle and EJ. The Muhle has a factory loft setting of 62mm while the EJ has a factory loft setting of 55mm. If that is true that is your answer as to why the EJ feels denser with more backbone.

I had a Muhle XL V2 synthetic rest to 54mm in a custom and can tell you it was a huge improvement and can imagine how good the EJ knot is.

Bob

Richard and Bob, I would have to put the difference down to density, alone. I have measured both my Muhle 25 and EJ XL and both are equal in terms of knot diameter AND loft. Both my brushes are 25x60. Density is the only variation as far as I can tell.

31 5,293
 10-05-2014, 02:32 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-05-2014, 02:17 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 02:08 AM)BobH Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 09:23 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm happy to know that you are also a fan of this brush. Can you explain why it feels so much better, and with more backbone than the same 25mm knot that is in the Mühle? Is it denser?

Bob

Richard and Bob, I would have to put the difference down to density, alone. I have measured both my Muhle 25 and EJ XL and both are equal in terms of knot diameter AND loft. Both my brushes are 25x60. Density is the only variation as far as I can tell.

Thanks for physically checking actual examples of the brushes. I was beginning to wonder why EJ would have their version set so much lower. Yes, it must be down to density then. Sorry for posting the erroneous loft info for the EJ.

Bob

0 1,694