09-28-2014, 08:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Many of us have scent collections that fall roughly into light, flowery scents for spring, deeper, woodsy-leather in winter etc.
I was wondering, if changes in temperature, humidity, windchill factor whatever can effect the performance of
not dissimilar families of soaps; tallow, palm oil, Shea
butter?

2 3,171
 09-29-2014, 03:21 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The different oils will have a little different melting points...not sure if it affects performance. I can tell you that in the summer I have received soaps that were quite melted, but usually they solidify back to normal once inside the house, and I don't think their performance suffered.

I don't believe I have ever experienced an actual change in performance due to age. Some scents can fade, and many of mine got a little harder with age as you'd expect. Maybe some of the vintage soap users can chime in here...

34 1,628
 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM
User Info
(09-29-2014, 03:21 AM)Giorgio Wrote: The different oils will have a little different melting points...not sure if it affects performance. I can tell you that in the summer I have received soaps that were quite melted, but usually they solidify back to normal once inside the house, and I don't think their performance suffered.

I don't believe I have ever experienced an actual change in performance due to age. Some scents can fade, and many of mine got a little harder with age as you'd expect. Maybe some of the vintage soap users can chime in here...

+1

83 21,078
 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I was thinking along the lines of performance ON THE FACE. I discovered tallow in hot weather leaves me feeling like a lacquered box and reach for palm based products. Shea butter is a great product, but sometimes, again, I feel like it has to be pumiced off. My skin rebelled against MWF, a product I dearly loved and now I'm back with Dittmar's, probably the most reverse engineered soap out there.

2 3,171
 09-30-2014, 06:22 PM
User Info
great comments for a newbie like me to digest. never heard of ditmars but now I will find it and research it. my experience with mwf is meh. got a t&h 1805 today and loved it. I am too new to understand the idiosynricies of soaps and creams but I am trying

73 1,297
 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Dave, Dittmar's just happens to be available from some guy named BullgooseBiggrin
The price point may put some people off at first.I was, but the performance is exemplary and those smallish pucks are milled harder than a Krupp gunbarrel and last.....
Scent? Scent? We don' need no stinkin scent!( Apologies to B.Traven and Walter Huston)
Performance? HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

2 3,171
 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
I use citrus and florals in Spring/Summer and Woods/Spices/Leathers in Fall/Winter and MWF year round. One thing I find that works is to use MWF and use a TOBS cream with it (scent chosen based off the season).

0 75