05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
This post is primarily directed towards newbies to DE shaving.

I returned to DE shaving 2 weeks ago after 40 years of multiblade cartridge shaving. I started with a Weishi 9306 razor. This is said to be the top of the Weishi line. It gave me a DFS every time I used it. I could not get a BBS from it no matter what I tried.

I used a van der Hagen shaving kit, boar brush, mug and soap that I got at a local retailer for 11 dollars. Years ago when I used to DE shave I also had this kind of brush.

Today, thanks to a very nice gentleman on this forum, I used a Gillette Slim Adjustable, a Vie Long horse and badger brush, and a shaving cream instead of soap. I also used an Astra blade for the first time.

Let me tell you, this was the best shave I've ever gotten in my entire life. The brush was silky applying lather to my face. No poking as in with the inexpensive boar brushes ( I'm not downing boar, just the run of the mill kind of inexpensive boar brush ). The lather was thick and applied evenly, without streaks here and there where the lather was thin.

I started with a 3 on the razor adjustment dial. I did a 3 pass shave. There was no burn, no nicks, no weepers. My neck was almost BBS on my neck (first time this has happened!) after the 3rd pass. I dialed the adjustable up to 4 and did a touch up pass on my neck. I missed just 2 little spots. The rest of my neck is really BBS.

Tomorrow I will do the entire shave with the razor set on 4 and see how that goes.

My point here is that quality of equipment makes a tremendous difference. Going for more than the bargain basement equipment is NOT just for snob appeal. It can be the difference between a so-so shave and an excellent shave.

My advice to anyone who is new at DE shaving is to start with the best equipment you can afford and move up as you can, OR start with an inexpensive razor and kit and see if you like DE shaving enough to stay with it and THEN improve your equipment as you can.

God bless everyone on this forum who has given me good advice!

Heh heh heh. Not only am I happy with today's shave, I smell like a million dollars! Biggrin

0 396
 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 04:16 PM)uncledave Wrote: My advice to anyone who is new at DE shaving is to start with the best equipment you can afford and move up as you can, OR start with an inexpensive razor and kit and see if you like DE shaving enough to stay with it and THEN improve your equipment as you can.

Good advice. As you continue to upgrade your equipment, the improvement increments get smaller and smaller, and only you can decide if it is worth continuing the process. For me it is enjoyable to just continue to "tweak" my shaving ritual with new - and sometimes better - products and equipment.

184 12,003
 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 04:28 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 04:16 PM)uncledave Wrote: My advice to anyone who is new at DE shaving is to start with the best equipment you can afford and move up as you can, OR start with an inexpensive razor and kit and see if you like DE shaving enough to stay with it and THEN improve your equipment as you can.

Good advice. As you continue to upgrade your equipment, the improvement increments get smaller and smaller, and only you can decide if it is worth continuing the process. For me it is enjoyable to just continue to "tweak" my shaving ritual with new - and sometimes better - products and equipment.

My wife fears this will be true for me as well. Rolleyes

0 396
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
And that's what this forum is all about! Assisting fellow enthusiasts to get the best from their shaving experiences. There is definitely a correlation between investment and performance, but it's not always key to a good shave.

Congratulations on an enjoyable shave and congratulations to our generous members and their commitment to helping other shavers!

91 17,875
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't you just want to kick yourself for all those wasted years.

Good advise for all.

173 23,553
 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 04:30 PM)Johnny Wrote: Don't you just want to kick yourself for all those wasted years.

Good advise for all.

Yes I do. You read my mind. I always thought of shaving as a disagreeable chore. Now it's a comforting ritual that I look forward to. I'll say this though: even if I had kept on DE shaving all those 40 years I would never done it correctly or enjoyed it until I found this forum.

0 396
 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for your feedback Uncle Dave!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 04:57 PM)gijames Wrote: Thank you for your feedback Uncle Dave!

Biggrin

You're welcome. I'm the first to admit that I learned to shave at age 61 and my instructors were from the Shave Nook. Biggrin

0 396
 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
(05-24-2012, 05:01 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 04:57 PM)gijames Wrote: Thank you for your feedback Uncle Dave!

Biggrin

You're welcome. I'm the first to admit that I learned to shave at age 61 and my instructors were from the Shave Nook. Biggrin

I too returned to wet shaving late in life. I learned from my Dad using a multi-blade cartridge razor. I have learned a lot from the people on this and other forums. You all have kept me focused on the goal and have also opened my eyes to the width and breadth of products available for us wet shavers today. It is truly awesome. Biggrin

0 539
 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
User Info
I'm right there with you, UncleDave. I am 61 and just started DE and SE shaving in January. I've enjoyed all your threads and posts.

21 1,478
 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 05:38 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I'm right there with you, UncleDave. I am 61 and just started DE and SE shaving in January. I've enjoyed all your threads and posts.

Thank you for saying that! I've sure enjoyed posting them. This is the one forum I've ever been a member of where there seems to be no "resident experts" whom you dare not contradict. This alone makes this forum unique as far as I'm concerned.

I envy your using a straight razor. I've ALWAYS wanted to try that. My hands are not what they used to be ( carpal tunnel ) and I'm afraid I'd cut my head off with one of those!

Did you start with a safety razor like I did many moons ago and then switch to the multiblade cartridges?

0 396
 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 05:43 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 05:38 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I'm right there with you, UncleDave. I am 61 and just started DE and SE shaving in January. I've enjoyed all your threads and posts.

Thank you for saying that! I've sure enjoyed posting them. This is the one forum I've ever been a member of where there seems to be no "resident experts" whom you dare not contradict. This alone makes this forum unique as far as I'm concerned.

I envy your using a straight razor. I've ALWAYS wanted to try that. My hands are not what they used to be ( carpal tunnel ) and I'm afraid I'd cut my head off with one of those!

Did you start with a safety razor like I did many moons ago and then switch to the multiblade cartridges?
I haven't tried the straight yet. The closest I've gotten is an old Weck with disposeable Personna long single edge blades and a Parker with double edge blades and did a lot of damage. I've read the straight is safer.

The SE refers to the old single edge razors from Schick and GEM and Star and Everyready and others, probably. I found my learning curve with the SEs was short compared to the DE's, in fact no learning curve at all.

No, I have never used double edge safety razors before January. I don't remember what I was shaving with in the mid to late 60's, but for the last many years I have been riding the Gillette multiblade cartridge train.

21 1,478
 05-24-2012, 07:06 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 06:59 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 05:43 PM)uncledave Wrote:

I haven't tried the straight yet. The closest I've gotten is an old Weck with disposeable Personna long single edge blades and a Parker with double edge blades and did a lot of damage. I've read the straight is safer.

The SE refers to the old single edge razors from Schick and GEM and Star and Everyready and others, probably. I found my learning curve with the SEs was short compared to the DE's, in fact no learning curve at all.

No, I have never used double edge safety razors before January. I don't remember what I was shaving with in the mid to late 60's, but for the last many years I have been riding the Gillette multiblade cartridge train.

I switched from DE to multiblades around 1970. Since I didn't know the proper technique for DE shaving the difference between my DE shaving and the multiblades at the time was nothing but speed. I could give myself a mediocre shave using the cartridges in about half the time. The shave itself was no better and the irritation was worse. It's my guess that if more men had known how to really shave the multiblades would never have caught on.

My late father-in-law used a single edge razor his whole life. He lived to be 87 and still stuck to the SE razor. I'm not quite as afraid of them as I am a straight razor so I might try one someday. I can just see myself though, one mug for the lather and 2 buckets to catch the blood. Confused

0 396
 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
I got no nicks from my first shave with an SE, the G1. I had been afraid. People told me how aggressive they were. It just wasn't true for me. You keep a low angle and hold the handle lightly with little to no pressure and could probably get as quick a shave as you did in the 1970's but without the pain and with a much closer, smoother shave. I like the GEM 1912 and Damaskeene as well.

Lately though, I use my 2 Weber DE razors and occasionally, the Futur. The Weber is a wonderful experience. I did shave with the G1 and Damaskeene this morning, though.

21 1,478
 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
Uncledave - don't feel bad about your age. I was 64 when I returned to the promised land after having been a heathen for about 35 years. And most of my teachers were probably younger than my children. Flexibility is the key, my man!

15 316
 05-24-2012, 07:47 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 07:14 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I got no nicks from my first shave with an SE, the G1. I had been afraid. People told me how aggressive they were. It just wasn't true for me. You keep a low angle and hold the handle lightly with little to no pressure and could probably get as quick a shave as you did in the 1970's but without the pain and with a much closer, smoother shave. I like the GEM 1912 and Damaskeene as well.

Lately though, I use my 2 Weber DE razors and occasionally, the Futur. The Weber is a wonderful experience. I did shave with the G1 and Damaskeene this morning, though.

If I can lay hands on my father-in-law's old SE I may give it a try!

(05-24-2012, 07:40 PM)slackskin Wrote: Uncledave - don't feel bad about your age. I was 64 when I returned to the promised land after having been a heathen for about 35 years. And most of my teachers were probably younger than my children. Flexibility is the key, my man!

Thanks man. I agree about flexibility. I wish though, that I could transfer it to my joints!Biggrin

It's not so much my age as it is the fact that I literally put up with mediocre shaves for 40 years. I think it must have been that only barbers knew how to really shave back in the 50s and 60s and that's what set off the whole multiblade revolution.

0 396
 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Dave, it's great how you are coming along. Don't be too afraid to try an SE. Some give the most incredible shaves and are really no more difficult to learn how to use than a DE. Lots of luck if you decide to give it a go. Smile

2 11,211
 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM
User Info
Great advice, Dave! Keep up the good work.

75 20,883
 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Good advice from people you trust is like gold-dust.

1 290
 05-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
I agree with you wholeheartedly, the shaving cream makes all the difference. I have been DE shaving for a few months, but have always used a shave brush and lather over the canned goo, even with the multi bladed razors. However, as of late I discovered the marvelous TOBS and TRUMPER creams, they do wonders for the results of the shave, the skin and as you stated, they make you smell great. The other day, after my shave with TOBS Rose scent, one of my co-workers in the office remarked that I smelt like roses; WOW, gotta love these creams. AS well, I was glad to hear someone else enjoying the VIE LONG badger and horse hair brush. I recently purchased one from Fendrihan, and it is the only brush I will use. It is amazing, lathers up great, no bristle hardness to scratch or irritate the skin and feels great as it slides over the face.

Happy Shaving

Sam

0 108