09-29-2014, 08:18 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
My significant other recently gave me a kilogram block of this soap. I promptly molded a chunk of it into a 2-cup Pyrex glass storage dish and resealed the rest of the soap.

I had a chance to do a few test lathers before managing to do two shaves with it. Consider my notes to be strictly initial impressions.

Scent has a hint of almond but not as dominant as Acca Kappa 1869 (the only other almond soap/croap I've used before.) It's more of a clean soapy scent that doesn't intrude on after shaves or colognes.

I find that it likes water. Using a damp brush method, I had to add water slowly to get the lather I like. Using a wet brush method, the lather built quicker it but still required dipping the brush tips in water to build a coat with sufficient sheen.

I also noted that I had to go back to the tub between passes. I don't know if this is an issue with my technique or a quirk of the croap. None of the brushes I used were new, so that part of the hardware is not suspect.

Cushion is good. I had to be a bit more mindful of pressure as the lather made it easy to think I had not contacted skin yet.

Glide is sufficient. Not very slick but a good balance between control and lubrication.

Post shave feel is decent. I don't feel moisturized but no dryness ensues either. Squeaky clean is probably a good description.

I don't think I've cracked the Cella code yet but the first outings are pleasant enough. Considering a block of this stuff costs as much as a puck of some other soaps, I'm not expecting earth shattering performance. But given what I've seen, it is a decent buy.

2 286
 09-30-2014, 01:15 AM
User Info
Karlo, a great write up but you fail to mention what type of brushes you are using....badger or boar. Whilst either will work, I find that when using Cella(or any other Italian soft soap), boar works best. This is also the hair type generally used in Italian Barbershops, so I'm guessing they know best.

The wet brush approach also works best for me. I won't give any links, or copy and paste the details here, as I think it's likely to be an infringement of the rules, however, searching for "Marco's Method" on B&B will give you great information for lathering these Italian soft soaps.

***MODS....please edit if ref to B&B is not allowed. Apologies in advance if not.

31 5,293
 09-30-2014, 01:21 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Hi Optometrist!

Thank you for the kind words.

I used a Semogue 2013 SE and a Simpson Duke 2. Both are badger brushes and I had no trouble loading either.

The wet method I used is indeed what Marco espouses in conjunction with a boar bristle brush. I first tried it using an SOC boar several months back, but I've since PIF'd my boar and horse brushes, in favor of badger and synthetic.

I've also used both damp and wet brush methods before with Acca Kappa 1869 croap. I find that Cella EEP is firmer in consistency compared to AK but not difficult to load at all. If anything, it was too easy to load too much AK. Cella gives me a bit more control in that area.

2 286
 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(09-30-2014, 01:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Karlo, a great write up but you fail to mention what type of brushes you are using....badger or boar. Whilst either will work, I find that when using Cella(or any other Italian soft soap), boar works best. This is also the hair type generally used in Italian Barbershops, so I'm guessing they know best.

The wet brush approach also works best for me. I won't give any links, or copy and paste the details here, as I think it's likely to be an infringement of the rules, however, searching for "Marco's Method" on B&B will give you great information for lathering these Italian soft soaps.

***MODS....please edit if ref to B&B is not allowed. Apologies in advance if not.

You may post link, David.

102 18,652
 09-30-2014, 01:44 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 01:23 AM)Agravic Wrote: You may post link, David.

Thank you for the clarification, Ravi.

Karlo knows the tutorial but I'll still post link as it may serve to help others who struggle with Italian soft soaps.

Lathering Italian Soft Soaps - "Marco's Method"

31 5,293
 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
David,

I forgot to mention that I once asked Marco why boar was the traditional choice of Italian barbers. He told me it was mainly because of cost.

2 286
 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
(09-30-2014, 08:12 AM)Karlo Wrote: David,

I forgot to mention that I once asked Marco why boar was the traditional choice of Italian barbers. He told me it was mainly because of cost.

Yes, and likewise the 1kg soaps, I suspect.

This thread has reminded me...it's been ages since I spoke to Marco. Must phone him one day.

31 5,293
 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
I've used an entire tub of Cella when I was first starting out thanks to a PIF from Johnny. I just recently reordered it and went for the kilo block. I believe it will arrive before the weekend so I look forward to comparing my thoughts on it with yours. Thanks to my hard water here I do prefer a drier brush technique than what Marco espouses but in the end we all can get the lather we each like in different ways.

31 8,057
 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
Karlo, how long did you load your brushes for?
I had no issues with Cella and it is a decent soap for a good price, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

83 21,078
 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Celestino, I load until I see enough product on the tips of the bristles. About a minute.

2 286
 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
I find I have more control with a drier brush to start and dipping the brush tips as required to build the proper lather. IMO that's a must with a synthetic brush. I use either badger, horse, synthetic, or boar brushes with croaps and they all work. But one must adjust for the brush used.

Cella works, and you nailed it with your review. But for a similar price or maybe even a bit less, 3P is better IMO. Of course YMMV is still in effect. Neither is top tier though, but neither is the price.

32 6,459
 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Yeah, it's good enough as a daily driver. Which means I can probably reserve the more expensive soaps as a Sunday morning treat. : D

2 286