10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Has anyone here had any experience with a Monsieur Charles Shavette? If so, how would you compare it to other shavette razors?

[Image: qAy4NXw.jpg]

178 23,809
 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM
User Info
You my get some insight from Sav. I am pretty sure he did a review quite some time back. That or my brain is playing tricks on me. Both are possible.

6 1,224
 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
Are you thinking of using them, Johnny? Best of luck if you do! Smile

83 21,081
 10-01-2014, 09:55 AM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
I tried several shavettes, one being a filarmonica with the same blade holding mechanism-it was a complete pain to load the blade.

Parker SR1's mechanism is much better IMO

10 130
 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
Aren't you a Schick Injector fan, Johnny? From what I've read, Monsieur Charles uses those blades and delivers a good shave with them.

8 917
 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-01-2014, 10:19 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Aren't you a Schick Injector fan, Johnny? From what I've read, Monsieur Charles uses those blades and delivers a good shave with them.

Yes I am. That's one of the reasons I'm interested.

178 23,809
 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM
User Info
(10-01-2014, 10:22 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 10:19 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Aren't you a Schick Injector fan, Johnny? From what I've read, Monsieur Charles uses those blades and delivers a good shave with them.

Yes I am. That's one of the reasons I'm interested.
I think the posts that I read Sav talk about were from a pass around ? But I'm not at my laptop to be able to search easily Sad

6 1,224
 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I left you a message Johnny. As for everyone else. I enjoyed my trial of the Mr. Charlie on the pass around that I participated in roughly a year or so ago. It was my one and only experience with a straight/shavette of any kind. As such I can't compare it one way or another. I got a few super sweet shaves and did it without much blood...lol I have even considered pulling the trigger on one. I've just been too busy too get around to it. Plus I'm still searching for an open comb Damaskeene.... I fella has to prioritize....
HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(10-01-2014, 07:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: Has anyone here had any experience with a Monsieur Charles Shavette? If so, how would you compare it to other shavette razors?

There are some that have machine marks on the inside of the mechanism but they do work ok, weighs about 70 grams, takes old injector blades also (and I believe Feather & Kai blades but I'm not sure, it's been a long time). As far as shaving goes one of the better shavettes IMHO.

28 1,442
 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I too was a part of the passaround and while it did shave well, it was not one that I decided to purchase. I currently own 4 Feathers, a CJB, a Sam Seong, a Parker and a Weck style Japanese folding shavette. The main problem I found with the Msr. Charles is that the blade is too short in comparison to the blade holder so that when I would do a shallow stroke the blade holder would actually scrape the lather off an area that wasn't shaved. I also found it to be a bit too light.

Here is the thread where several reviews are located:
http://shavenook.com/thread-shavette-pass-around

145 2,752
 10-03-2014, 06:55 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Johnny,

I used the Monsieur Charles occasionally several years ago and found it to be a sweet little straight razor with replaceable blades. Monsieur Charles uses the Persona cartridge blades, which are shorter than the Feather blades, but nice and sharp.

The razor is well built. Occasionally the door over the blade felt a wee bit loose, but that was no big deal. The cartridges are inexpensive. No, this razor is no Feather, but then no other razor in the same category is. It makes a fine travel razor, too.

On the other hand, Johnny, my friend, if you want to shave with the straight razor, go with the real stuff and embrace the colorful ritual.

150 3,036
 10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I had participated in the pass-around as well. These days, I am dedicated to straights and the Monsieur Charles helped push me along that path. It's not my favorite disposable blade straight, that distinction is held by the Feather Dx for sure, but I enjoyed the MC well enough. It's got a nice weight to it, unlike the Dovo shavettes. The short blade was my reason for not buying one, but that could be exactly why someone looking to try straights might like it. Less blade to keep track of..

33 914