05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1160863.jpg]

Of all the Simpson shaving brushes I have tried so far,this brush have been the one I like it the most aesthetically and the less that I have enjoyed with a lot of difference.

[Image: P1160864.jpg]

The brush has the following measures :
  • 20mm knot
  • 45 mm loft
  • 90 mm total height.

what its makes it a medium on the small size brush.

The brush had a good amount of hair,as most of the Simpson shaving brushes,but unfortunately,it was really scratchy,like I have never experience in any other Simpson best badger shaving brush.

[Image: P1160866.jpg]

The handle,while not being the most ergonomic one out there,its maybe one of the most classy,stylish and elegant ones that I have owned.And as I always say,very well finish and kind of heavy for its small size.

Another good thing of this brush was its flow,since it was perfect for only having 45mm loft.I found that this brush performed better with shaving creams than shaving soaps,something really strange,or at least,I thought it was strange,because it had a scratchy hair that I expected to pick up much better the shaving soap pucks,but it didnt.

Reading some other people's comments about this brush,Im pretty sure I got one of the "less good ones" since it was very scratchy (it was unpleasant to face lather with circular strokes with this brush),but for its price,if you get a regular best badger type of hair,Im sure it would delight you,specially if you are a face latherer looking for a good brush with flow.

86 7,123
 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Teiste. I bet that would be a great brush with some Manchurian Badger in it.

173 23,540
 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-24-2012, 07:29 PM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review Teiste. I bet that would be a great brush with some Manchurian Badger in it.

Im sure that with any badger hair type,but the best badger I tried was too scratchy for sure...

86 7,123
 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
This may be another illustration of the difference between vintage Simpson best badger hair and the newer best grade. My Somerset era Berkeley has best hair that is very soft, without any scratchiness.
[Image: Berkeley1.jpg]

184 12,003
 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-24-2012, 08:00 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: This may be another illustration of the difference between vintage Simpson best badger hair and the newer best grade. My Somerset era Berkeley has best hair that is very soft, without any scratchiness.
[Image: IMG_5347.jpg]

This one looks like pure badger to me.Thanks for sharing,John.

86 7,123
 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
YMMV based on, maybe, the time of day the brush was manufactured (or, more likely, the batch of badger from which the brush was manufactured). My Berkeley Best is post-Somerset and is relatively soft in feel ---- but it has enough body for me to be able to easily face lather with soap.

30 237
 05-24-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 08:04 PM)Teiste Wrote: This one looks like pure badger to me.Thanks for sharing,John.

In my experience with Somerset Simpson brushes, the lines defining the differences between grades of badger hair in the past were much less clear than now. The Best badger hair of the brushes I have varies greatly in characteristics, with some closely resembling Pure and others nearly indistinguishable from Super.

184 12,003
 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review. It is a nice looking brush.

45 3,955
 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
That's a shame that your Berkley Best is that way. I bet it was an extreme variation for the specification; or I'd hope it was.

Both of my Best Simpsons aren't scritchy and work great for soaps and face lather. Just great all around brushes no matter what the product.

I was looking for a Berkley Best as a sort of nebulous "if one shows up", but found a Commodore x1 Best and it's just fantastic, as is the Special Best, but the Special is a significantly smaller knot. Anyway, both are quite soft.

I'm betting (hoping) you got an abberation.

32 6,309
 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Teiste!

75 20,883
 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste.

I haven't used a Berkeley and with my vast Simpsons collection already, I doubt I can justify acquiring one...

91 17,851
 05-25-2012, 01:07 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I think it may well be luck of the draw Teiste.

My Special in best feels scritchier than any of my other Simpsons brushes, to the extent that I don't particularly enjoy using it.

My Berkeley, on the other hand, feels as soft as my other Simpsons in Best (apart from the Special of course), and it's a brush I love to use.

Is there any way you could try out another Berkeley for comparison?

32 638
 05-25-2012, 04:09 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(05-25-2012, 01:07 AM)ajc347 Wrote: My Special in best feels scritchier than any of my other Simpsons brushes, to the extent that I don't particularly enjoy using it.

My Berkeley, on the other hand, feels as soft as my other Simpsons in Best (apart from the Special of course), and it's a brush I love to use.

Mine were just the opposite. My Special was very soft and the Berkeley had the scritch. My Berkeley has the most backbone of any brush I ever had but it does come with some scritch. A year ago the Berkeley was my favorite brush but over this past winter my tastes changed and the Berkeley is now #4 behind the Simpson Rover (dense, great backbone with no scritch), Rooney 1/1 Silvertip (very soft, no scritch) and Duke 1 (softer with less scritch than the Berkeley).

0 204
 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
After reading through the review and all the comments the variations in brush feel has to be a product of the badger hair available at the time they made each brush.

0 539
 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 06:41 PM)Teiste Wrote: The brush had a good amount of hair,as most of the Simpson shaving brushes,but unfortunately,it was really scratchy,like I have never experience in any other Simpson best badger shaving brush.

Reading some other people's comments about this brush,Im pretty sure I got one of the "less good ones" since it was very scratchy (it was unpleasant to face lather with circular strokes with this brush)

I can confirm this, absolutely!
I got 2 Berkeley for comparison. Yesterday I received a new Berkeley 46 in Best Badger for my own, the other Berkeley belongs to my father in law. His Berkeley is soft on the face, like all my other Simpson brushes. But the new Berkeley I got, though it has a Best Badger knot/hair - it is still a little scratchy. Not hurting (like the Vulfix 404 Mixed), but I can feel it peeking when I use it in circular motions. It looks like Best, but feels a bit like Pure. I don't know yet if I'll keep it, maybe the hairs soften a bit with time and usage. Let's see....Sleepy

0 112
 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-07-2012, 10:15 AM)infabo Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 06:41 PM)Teiste Wrote: The brush had a good amount of hair,as most of the Simpson shaving brushes,but unfortunately,it was really scratchy,like I have never experience in any other Simpson best badger shaving brush.

Reading some other people's comments about this brush,Im pretty sure I got one of the "less good ones" since it was very scratchy (it was unpleasant to face lather with circular strokes with this brush)

I can confirm this, absolutely!
I got 2 Berkeley for comparison. Yesterday I received a new Berkeley 46 in Best Badger for my own, the other Berkeley belongs to my father in law. His Berkeley is soft on the face, like all my other Simpson brushes. But the new Berkeley I got, though it has a Best Badger knot/hair - it is still a little scratchy. Not hurting (like the Vulfix 404 Mixed), but I can feel it peeking when I use it in circular motions. It looks like Best, but feels a bit like Pure. I don't know yet if I'll keep it, maybe the hairs soften a bit with time and usage. Let's see....Sleepy

Infabo : mine didnt soften with use,my friend.A pity,since I truly like the brush style and handle.Sad

86 7,123
 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM
User Info
Hello bro

[Image: 76fddaa2de79144f5b7cce499da21.jpg]

0 112
 11-04-2012, 11:51 PM
User Info
Well, my new Berkeley (shown left) is a bit less dense and a bit scritchy compared to the other Berkeley (which belongs to my father in law).
After the first shaves I complained about the scritch in another thread about Simpson hair grades, but in the meantime it feels like the hairs softened a little bit - or maybe I just learned how to use this brush properly. As I said, it's not that dense as a Simpson brush usually is and therefore the knot splays easily when face-lathering. I do not push hard, just a bit, the knot splays nicely and whoops - the scritch is gone. Lovely. Now I used this little brush for around the last 2 months exclusively (with 2 or 3 pauses to dry thoroughly) and I'm really pleased.

0 112
 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Teiste, I had the same experience with my Classic 1 in Best. It was just too scritchy for me. But I know there are other Classic 1s out there with softer tips, and I would have happily kept one of these (I think you have one, Teiste, and you should hold on to it).

I had the great fortune of being able to handle my last Simpsons Best brush before purchasing it. In fact, the B&M shop had two of the same brushes in stock (Polo 10 Best), one slightly different than the other. Now, if the shop had three or more of them in stock, I might still be there trying to make up my mind...

43 1,690
 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks to MikePerry (thanks a lot , Mike) I have made peace with the Simpson Berkeley N46 best badger shaving brush :

[Image: P1260687.JPG?m=1361895611]

[Image: P1260690.JPG?m=1361895612]

If the previous Berkeley brush that I owned had a scratchy hair , this one has the kind of best badger hair which I truly enjoy , which is soft , with basically no hints of scritchiness at all.

I truly love the aesthetics of this brush , specially the handle :

[Image: P1260689.JPG?m=1361895612]

which , by the way , is a Duke 2 handle but slimmer , as you can see in these pics :

[Image: P1260865.JPG?m=1361895887]

[Image: P1260866.JPG?m=1361895888]

This brush is very good for facelathering , specially now that its tips are soft , as I like them to be.Interesting that , while this brush seems to have darker tips than my previous Berkeley (which were whiter) , the tips are much softer.Also , the backbone and flow is there , on a nice combination for me :

[Image: P1260688.JPG?m=1361895612]

Here with another great facelathering brush , the Truefitt and Hill 1/1 silvertip :

[Image: P1260691.JPG?m=1361895612]

I have heard that some guys use the Berkeley N46 as their traveling brush , and I can see why.Here a pic with another iconic Simpson brush , the Case :

[Image: P1260692.JPG?m=1361895613]

The Berkeley is slightly taller , but slim as the case is.Also , both are packed with a good amount of badger hair :

[Image: P1260693.JPG?m=1361895613]

This Berkeley could be a very nice introductory brush in the Simpson world , if you are looking for a facelathering brush.Also seems to be good for a traveling brush.I can see myself getting (again) another Berkeley N46.

Thanks to MikePerry for letting me test this brush.

86 7,123