10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
I have 2 razors. Granted they are not very expensive but with both razors I observe that one side is more exposed than the other side. I have used 3 manufacturers of blades and seen the same difference. It makes one side of my razor mild and the other slightly aggressive. I haven't been using a DE that long and wanted to know if this is typical or is it a result of the razors and/or blades?

0 7
 10-01-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
It might depend on the razor that you have, but that can occur at times. It isn't very typical of the older Gillettes, as far as my experiences go. However, some razors may have been slightly damaged or compromised in some way. It isn't a very common issue I have heard with the majority of DEs.
Which razors do you have?

82 21,056
 10-02-2014, 05:52 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've seen this in my vintage TTOs. Aligning the blade is easy enough once you notice uneven exposure present. Haven't had it happen to me in a modern razor yet, even in a Progress which is know to have alignment issues occasionally.

2 286
 10-02-2014, 06:39 AM
User Info
The only razor I have experienced this with is my cheap potmetal Yumo - and that is because the guard is bent slightly more on one side than the other.

Paying attention as you put the blade in to make sure the exposure is the same should minimize the problem.

3 4,373
 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
Many modern DEs have a fair bit of "wiggle room" when the blade is loaded; therefore, if you just stick a blade in and tighten it up it is likely you will end up with some discrepancy.

Take 30 more seconds during loading and the problem is easily solved. Take a good look at the blade as your are tightening the razor; move the blade to where it looks completely even before you tighten it all the way down.

Alternatively, you could get a razor that aligns the blade dead nuts every time, like any of the Gillettes starting with the NEWs: i.e., the NEW, the Tech, any of the adjustables, any of the TTOs. The Old Type is subject to the same problem as most modern razors.

2 1,391
 10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
Guys, thank you for the input. I just started using a RasoRock razor. I like the Personna Med blades because they seem to be the smoothest on my face. I will definitely be more careful inserting the blade.

0 7