10-02-2014, 07:01 AM
User Info
Hello!

My name is Troy, located in Jacksonville, FL. I came across the forum while searching online for a safety razor kit. I am getting married next month and thought that I would give Safety Razor shaving kits to my groomsmen and came to the realization that I know nothing about these and there are tons of options.

So I am hoping you all could steer me in the right direction. I would want nice quality but not outrageously priced. I started looking for Made in USA and didn't find much there, even read through this thread: http://shavenook.com/thread-new-u-s-made-safety-razors

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Troy

0 3
 10-02-2014, 07:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and congratulation on the upcoming wedding.

I might recommend something like this.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/scottish...-gift-set/

It does not include a razor but most men like to choose their own razor. These are fine grooming products. Also look under gifts on the BullGoose site for other ideas.

175 23,752
 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Troy!

26 4,895
 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
I like Johnny's suggestion of "software" for two reasons:

1. Depending on how many groomsmen you have, even a moderately priced "first DE razor" like the Edwin Jagger DE89 could wind up being a sizable investment.

2. Your buddies might not take to DE shaving, whereas the software they can use any which way.

8 896
 10-02-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
Welcome!

What items are you looking to provide? Razor only, razor/brush, brush/soaps/creams, all of it? What is the budget?

31 1,800
 10-02-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride Biggrin

I second Rory - software is always useful (unless they use an electric).

3 4,373
 10-02-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
I think that's a great gift idea for your groomsmen. Congratulations and welcome to the Nook! Don't forget to recruit them too :-)

39 3,876
 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
User Info
(10-02-2014, 07:34 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Welcome!

What items are you looking to provide? Razor only, razor/brush, brush/soaps/creams, all of it? What is the budget?

Thanks Everyone, I was initially looking at razor/brush and software. But I understand that the razor would be personal preference.

Budget would be <$100 I suppose.

0 3
 10-02-2014, 08:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
$100 each or total?

175 23,752
 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM
User Info
(10-02-2014, 08:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: $100 each or total?

each, have 4 groomsmen. Ideally, would not want go over that. I am just seeing razors that are up in the 150-200 range and am unable to do that.

0 3
 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Go to the BullGoose site. Under razors look at Merkur 34C. You cannot go wrong with these razors.

That leaves you plenty of room to get one of the soap gift sets he offers.

If you are also looking for a brush, there are many to keep things in budget.

Here is a great Semogue Brush that would give anyone many years of service.

175 23,752
 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!

US made in your price range would be tough. Maybe vintage Gillette adjustables would be a viable option. They're US made, cool, and can be adjusted to a user's preferences.

I'm not sure used stuff makes a good groomsman gift, but maybe a new brush and software would balance things out.

0 1,053
 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM
User Info
What about Maggard razors, most run about $20.00.

"The MR1 is a short knurled handle razor with a satin finish solid stainless steel handle.

Materials:
Most of the Maggard Razors line come equipped with solid stainless steel handles (MR1, MR3, MR5, MR6, MR7, MR8, MR9, MR18). The only exception – the MR18C – has a brass handle that has been titanium anodized. The heads of the entire Maggard line are chrome plated cast zinc alloy.

Aggressiveness:
The aggressiveness of these razors is more than a Gillette “Tech”, close to a Gillete Superspeed. They are, IMO, the sweet spot in terms of aggressiveness for a beginner to try a DE razor. For those familiar with the vintage “Slim” adjustable, this razor is in the 4-5 range, I’d say closer to 4.

Quality Control:
We have visually inspected every single razor for manufacturing flaws. Many heads we test fit a blade to ensure blade exposure and gap consistency. You won’t find any bubbled up plating or overly rough edges on your new razor. The heads thread smoothly, and on every razor we have shave tested, each one was consistent in shaving from both sides of the blade. We stand behind these razors – so if you find a flaw that affects your shave, simply contact us and we will resolve the issue!

Blade Alignment:
blades wiggle a little when not tightened down. If your blade is not aligned please loosen the handle a bit and align the blade. After the blade is straight, tighten the handle. This is normal for our razors, and common in many other brands of DE razors. If you have any other question or concern about your new MR razor please email us and we would be happy to address the problem!

Handle Compatibility:
Our safety razors use standard threading that is compatible with almost all other 3 piece razors (Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Muhle, Gillette, RazoRock, just to name a few)."

"As a final thought – Try not to compare this razor to your $150 IKON when you receive it. While the handles are of fairly close quality, the heads are definitely for someone that has a budget. Shave with it, enjoy it, and remember, this is a budget razor that probably cost less than you spent on lunch last Tuesday. It is cheap enough to buy one for all of your friends and help expand our community. This is the reason we’ve made these available and the reason for their great success."

6 589
 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
Hello Troy, welcome to: " The Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
User Info
Welcome Troy to the forum.

119 13,017
 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome and congratulations.

206 12,189
 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
Since this is a set for groomsmen, I would not go the extremely cheap route as suggested above. You do want to give out a decent product. The Merkur 34c is an excellent suggestion. It was my re-entry into DE shaving. I am not sure what your budget is for the groomsmen in general, but there are also places which sell full entry kits for reasonable prices. A Merkur 34c and an Art of Shaving starter kit combined would give a razor, brush, pre-shave, shave cream, and post shave. For some reason I want to say the combined price is around $70. A very respectable setup to bring people into the DE world. A 33c and the AoS set would be $10-$15 cheaper.

Edit: I do know you asked for American made and Merkur is German, but Merkur has a good reputation and has been around for ages. Gillette long ago left the DE world and I would not suggest buying vintage for groomsmen. Some may be turned off by the idea of used shaving gear, and all the razors would be of various quality. Some would indeed be nicer than others.

129 6,685
 10-02-2014, 09:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Excellent idea Doug, the AOS starter kit which includes the brush.

$25.00 for the starter kit plus $49.50 for the Merkur 34C is well within budget and would make an excellent gift.

Can I be a groomsman? Biggrin

175 23,752
 10-02-2014, 10:47 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Troy, and enjoy your stay. Smile

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

2 11,211
 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Troy!

Great suggestions from Johnny and Doug and enjoy your wedding! Smile

82 21,056