05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Figured this was a good place to put this as it put a smile on my face.

The Green Thing

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartaleck young person.

Remember: Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

173 23,483
 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ah, I remember it well! Tongue

2 11,211
 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
As do I...we are not green ...just smart enough to know when smoke is being blown up our ass...up yours sonny..have a nice day !!!!! Don,t mess with us eitherbecause as a famous person once said..." I have forgotten more than you will ever know "Damn feels good to let it all out....YAHOO !!!!!AngryAngryAngry

6 1,913
 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-24-2012, 08:38 PM)Johnny Wrote: Figured this was a good place to put this as it put a smile on my face.

The Green Thing

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartaleck young person.

Remember: Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

EXCELLENT POST! My sentiments exactly. There are a lot of changes since the so called "good old days" that weren't positive at all. You mentioned most of them in your post!

0 396
 05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
User Info
Fantastic post, Johnny!

75 20,883
 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Nice post

1 290
 05-25-2012, 03:29 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I'm old enough to remember most of those things. Personally it worked much better that way.

1 3,507
 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
This would be more of a zinger if it weren't for the fact that my parents' generation (and to a lesser extent, their parents') were the ones who embraced the disposable culture hand of fist and left us this mess.

10 1,858
 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(05-25-2012, 08:36 AM)Songwind Wrote: This would be more of a zinger if it weren't for the fact that my parents' generation (and to a lesser extent, their parents') were the ones who embraced the disposable culture hand of fist and left us this mess.

I never embraced anything and I am from that generation. In fact California is banning plastic bags starting soon. So I guess its back to paper for them. More trees to cut down.

100 12,436
 05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
I don't think I am old (56, going on dead), but obviously I must be. I still live in the town I grew up in and when I was a kid we had a pony in the backyard, as did others. At the time I could ride the pony to town and there was a hitchrack at the store. I tell this story to the new locals and they think I made it up. I don't know if life was really simpler 50+ years ago. I do know we have far more choices to make, everyday (Paper, or plastic, being one of them!), and that can be taxing.

6 230
 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
User Info
I think the author of this post is unclear on what being green is about. While I agree the clerk could have been more polite with better word choice and tone ... ect. The author may need some education on the concept of being "green” versus the economic and technology available at the time.
Let’s break it down in the same format. The bottles were recycled and reused not to be "green”, because the cost of making new bottles was higher than shipping bottles back to be reused. The companies encourage the consumer to participate in this practice by charging a deposit to the customer. Bottles with no deposit on them were just discarded anywhere and everywhere the consumers could, not even in a designated dump area. Just where ever they felt like throwing them .The change occurred when technology made it cheaper not to reuse and clean and ship these heavy bottles. Five gallon water bottles that are washed and reused exist. Recycle bins exist, companies are getting pressure to reuse this material and are now marking how much recycled content they use to manufacture. They are using less material over all to make the products using new technology .All brought by pressure from the consumer versus the older generation that as "Songbird" pointed out embraced the disposable culture to make more money.
SO YES THEY DIDNT HAVE THAT GREEN THING BACK THEN
All buildings have manual stairs as well as escalators and elevators. My local mall has regular stairs right next to the elevators. I won’t even go into which generation uses which more often , even though they are less than thirty feet away. I am surprised that this was even mentioned by the author as they benefit their generation more than mine. Also both the elevator and escalator have been around longer than anyone living currently .
People still walk and bike to destinations. Look up bicycle culture on Wik or visit a city like Amsterdam during rush hour .As gas prices continue to rise I expect more people will exercise this option more and get some exercise while they are at it . Green thing chorus again.
The diapers that are disposable didn’t exist but once they were invented in the 1950s we see the choice that was made as a whole by the older generation, even though the washable type of cloth diapers have never went completely off the market. Also wooden close pins are commonly in every grocery store I’ve ever been in .The first dryer with the glass door was invented in the 1940s who taught our generation the use of such items I wonder . As soon as technology became available to make them readily available every home got a clothes dryer .Hand me downs are nothing new , and if anything the practice is more common now as whole than it was in the authors day. Look up the term thrifting on Wik .
Green thing blah blah.
The world is moving towards one item to take the place of radio, TV, and computers. The companies are now being pressured to stop using packing materials or at least use ones made from recycled material. Fun fact, bubble wrap invented 1950s. Again, that’s not my generation who dropped the ball. Lawns in the style the author is talking about became popular in 1930 with the GI bill of WW2 encouraging the growth of a well maintained lawn culture and suburban sprawl. This lawn culture used chemical fertilizer and chemical pesticides to keep maintain the upkeep. Resulting in run-off of said into our water ways. My generation has began using orange oil , need oil and other biologicals including bacteria ,fungi to achieve same results. I think I can sleep at night after using my gas lawn mower.
Green chorus again.
Water fountains still do exist if one looks. I prefer not to use them due to fact I could be exposed to whatever microbes person before me has. I do use a refillable insulated bottle I purchased to refill at work and home from five gallon bottles that are washed and refilled by water companies. These types of containers are being stocked everywhere now. They are very common especially in the last decade. The razor thing is true why do you think I’m on a wet shave forum posting this.
Green THING cha cha cha .
Public transit has always existed if it weren’t for suburban sprawl which the prior generations planned and encouraged I imagine it would work better .The Satelite issue is what all of the above is really about. It is the information age, it is the time we are living in. There have always been good and bad choices, technology, ect….
To the author yes the fact is your generation did as whole make a lot of bad choices that were not the "Green thing to do " I don’t believe it was through malice just lack of information. I’m not trying to anger you, just informing you. The clerk was trying to spread information, about doing “The Green Thing”.
So paper, plastic ….. or bring your own bag. Your choice.

0 61
 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I enjoyed popping the necks off those glass Coke bottles with my BB gun.Biggrin

173 23,483
 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
Well one of the things that current The Green Thing is a lot of hype and window dressing.

Live on a farm (a real working farm) and you will find out what the Real Green Thing is about and you will be able to tell the difference between the Green things and the Brown things which also is a part of the Green thing.

Good work Johnny. What it proves is what was written so long ago.

The thing that hath been, it [is that] which shall be; and that which is done [is] that which shall be done: and [there is] no new [thing] under the sun.

1 2,827
 05-25-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 06:23 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Well one of the things that current The Green Thing is a lot of hype and window dressing.

Live on a farm (a real working farm) and you will find out what the Real Green Thing is about and you will be able to tell the difference between the Green things and the Brown things which also is a part of the Green thing.

The thing that hath been, it [is that] which shall be; and that which is done [is] that which shall be done: and [there is] no new [thing] under the sun.

Well said. Speaking of hype - recently heard someone say that they had put carbon credits on their gift wish list.W00t

29 1,731
 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 06:48 PM)ridgerunner Wrote:
(05-25-2012, 06:23 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Well one of the things that current The Green Thing is a lot of hype and window dressing.

Well said. Speaking of hype - recently heard someone say that they had put carbon credits on their gift wish list.W00t

I don't mind doing things that really are truly more efficient, but stuff like that chaps me because it is just window dressing.

1 2,827