10-03-2014, 01:25 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I am fortunate to have a son who wet shaves. In preparation for the inevitable, I have reduced my shaving essentials to what I feel worthy of passing to my son. In the end, my father’s wet shaving essentials never made it into my possession.

My current shave nook legacy is as follows:

Cobra Classic SE Razor: I chose this razor owed to its shaving abilities, but also it being the one that started the contemporary SE shaving movement.

King Cobra Classic SE Razor: Reasons similar to its sibling.

BBS-1 DE Razor: I am no longer a fan of DE razors, but I wanted to at least have a DE that represented what I felt worthy of legacy and the BBS-1 easily holds this title. This is a great razor all around, but its design, engineering, fit and finish are simply stellar—the benchmark for all other razors.

Shaving Brush: Currently, a Kent AP12, but this will change as I find that the custom brushes appeal to me more as time passes.

Shaving Scuttle: Paul Buti custom skull adorned scuttle with lid. I asked Paul to make as skull scuttle for me and he delivered far beyond my expectations.

Potential Essential Candidates:

HuntLee: I’ve watched the video and looked at the limited photographs of this forthcoming razor at least a hundred times and I definitely like what I see and what it represents. Actually, without it being release, this razor is at the top of my shortlist.

Straight Razor: Currently, I am venturing into the world of straights. My inkling is more towards a traditional Japanese Kamisori razor as I am finding that I’m not agreeable with the handles on folding straight razors. And what a shame as the straight razor world is rich with legacy worthy razors.

Shaving Brush: There is a custom brush maker that I have my eye on and will likely purchase from here shortly. I do have other brushes, my taste for brushes is not a priority, if fact, I purchased a brush from another forum’s member that is not considered high-end and love its performance, so go figure.

12 605
 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
User Info
Oh, boy! This is a very difficult question to answer.
I would have to start with the following, but this may be subject to change:

* Weber DLCs; smoothest razor I have found, to date.

* The majority of my brushes, especially, my Oscar11 All-Ambers, ZenShave Snakewood, and M&F 3XL Heritage

* Iwasaki Kamisori and 2 or 3 other Japanese straights.

82 21,056
 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I am by avocation a field and classroom trained archaeologist.
My thoughts are about my gravegoods to accompany me and Pyewacket into the afterlife.
Having FINALLY convinced the Neptune Society an ex Coast Guardsman has no desire to be cremated and dumped off of San Pedro ( I told them I am a Tibetan Buddhist and want a 'sky burial.' They stopped contacting me.)Or be buried at forest manicured lawn by Michael Jackson; I can proceed.
I will have all my kit carefully wrapped in hermetically sealed containers.Ditto my lagavulin, classical CDs and few custom items of wardrobe.
I imagine if some future 'shovel bum' excavates me: I will be put on display as a man of obvious great wealth and social standing in his communityRolleyes

2 3,171
 10-03-2014, 11:47 PM
User Info
I'm in my mid-twenties, so I'll be surprised if some of the below outlive me:

Gillette Aristocrat sets (#15, #16, #21, #22)
Feather Artist Club system - SS, RG fixed
Thäter 4125-series brushes - 2B and 3B

Possible avenues I'm yet to explore: traditional straights, modern SEs.

0 143
 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-03-2014, 05:59 PM)kav Wrote: I am by avocation a field and classroom trained archaeologist.
My thoughts are about my gravegoods to accompany me and Pyewacket into the afterlife.
Having FINALLY convinced the Neptune Society an ex Coast Guardsman has no desire to be cremated and dumped off of San Pedro ( I told them I am a Tibetan Buddhist and want a 'sky burial.' They stopped contacting me.)Or be buried at forest manicured lawn by Michael Jackson; I can proceed.
I will have all my kit carefully wrapped in hermetically sealed containers.Ditto my lagavulin, classical CDs and few custom items of wardrobe.
I imagine if some future 'shovel bum' excavates me: I will be put on display as a man of obvious great wealth and social standing in his communityRolleyes

What a great response. I hope that you post more frequently in the future.

I recently learned that my son is a wet shaver and he already has my favorite DE, a Feather AS-D2 and a brush from ZenShave. However, my current legacy holds:

Straights: Robert Williams, Michael Waterhouse, Max Sprecher, Tim Zowada.

Brushes: Oscar11, ZenShave, and now Edward Jagger XL Synthetics.

38 5,029
 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
To be honest, with the exception of soaps, with almost all the shaving equipment I acquire I always have in the back of my mind that one day I will be passing these along to my son (and another one on the way Biggrin)...so basically my whole den. My father passed away quite suddenly when I was young, and I wished that some of his belongings, particularly shaving gear, would have been saved for me. I'm fairly certain it is this circumstance that causes me to ensure I have some good stuff to pass along to my little guys.

This is by no means comprehensive, but some of the highlights are: At least one of my Gillette Fatboys (and possibly a Rhodium plated one in the near future), Gillette Slim, Nickel-plated Aristocrat, NOS Aristocrat, a practically NOS Wilkinson Sticky (thanks Andrew Wink), Wilkinson flip top, Merkur Futur and Progress, 2013 R41, Cobra Classic, King Cobra with incoming UFO handle, incoming Mongoose, the anticipated HuntLee, incoming (hopefully) BBS-1, Schick Krona Gold, ER 1912, ER 1924, GEM OCMM, Shavecraft 101, and a few straights. Heck I even bought a Gillette Sensor Excel that I kept in the package specifically for this purpose. Also, all my brushes which include several Simpsons, Thaters, Custom Shavemacs, Plisson HMW, M&F's, some fine examples of Rudy Vey's work, along with some synthetics.

We'll see how things hold up, as I do rotate through most. However, whenever I purchase and receive an item, it is always with the hope and intention that it is Legacy worthy Biggrin.

34 1,628
 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(10-03-2014, 01:25 PM)Entasis Wrote: I am fortunate to have a son who wet shaves. In preparation for the inevitable, I have reduced my shaving essentials to what I feel worthy of passing to my son. In the end, my father’s wet shaving essentials never made it into my possession.

My current shave nook legacy is as follows:

Cobra Classic SE Razor: I chose this razor owed to its shaving abilities, but also it being the one that started the contemporary SE shaving movement.

King Cobra Classic SE Razor: Reasons similar to its sibling.

BBS-1 DE Razor: I am no longer a fan of DE razors, but I wanted to at least have a DE that represented what I felt worthy of legacy and the BBS-1 easily holds this title. This is a great razor all around, but its design, engineering, fit and finish are simply stellar—the benchmark for all other razors.

Shaving Brush: Currently, a Kent AP12, but this will change as I find that the custom brushes appeal to me more as time passes.

Shaving Scuttle: Paul Buti custom skull adorned scuttle with lid. I asked Paul to make as skull scuttle for me and he delivered far beyond my expectations.

Potential Essential Candidates:

HuntLee: I’ve watched the video and looked at the limited photographs of this forthcoming razor at least a hundred times and I definitely like what I see and what it represents. Actually, without it being release, this razor is at the top of my shortlist.

Straight Razor: Currently, I am venturing into the world of straights. My inkling is more towards a traditional Japanese Kamisori razor as I am finding that I’m not agreeable with the handles on folding straight razors. And what a shame as the straight razor world is rich with legacy worthy razors.

Shaving Brush: There is a custom brush maker that I have my eye on and will likely purchase from here shortly. I do have other brushes, my taste for brushes is not a priority, if fact, I purchased a brush from another forum’s member that is not considered high-end and love its performance, so go figure.

If you were to make it more enticing, I would urge to hire a food-taster or body-guard.Tongue

1 795
 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I have 3 daughters. Alas, I believe my shaving legacy will die with me. Which is a bit liberating....I am only concerned with my own personal approval!

159 1,315
 10-11-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
My son will have it all.

1 1,975
 10-17-2014, 05:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-11-2014, 04:54 PM)Steelman Wrote: I have 3 daughters. Alas, I believe my shaving legacy will die with me. Which is a bit liberating....I am only concerned with my own personal approval!

+1... I too, am the last of the line. And I personally approve every acquisition because nobody else here gives a hoot!

4 1,904