Poll: Tubs or Tins?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 10-04-2014, 04:33 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Tubs or Tins?

I am pairing down and refining my Den. I have determined that I really like soft soaps/croaps, both artisan and commercial. I will be keeping several of them in my rotation. All of my favorites produce great lather after loading any of my brushes for 15-20 seconds. I am only going to be using soft soaps that are available in tubs and jars though. The jars are very easy to work with. I personally do not like working with any of the tins. Many are too small. Some quickly rust. All are “messy” IMHO. YMMV as always.

(I will still keep some favorite pucks, creams, and sticks around too.)

I am just curious, what is your preference: Tubs or Tins?

4 2,767
 10-04-2014, 04:42 AM
User Info
Either; as long as the soap / croap / cream is nice I don't really care.

I do make sure to towel of excess water and lather after putting the lid back on though - which may explain why I don't have rust issues.

3 4,511
 10-04-2014, 04:59 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote:I do make sure to towel of excess water and lather after putting the lid back on though - which may explain why I don't have rust issues.

I do too. The tin I was referring too left a rust ring on my counter top the first time I used it from just sitting there while I shaved.

4 2,767
 10-04-2014, 05:28 AM
User Info
Tins don't stay clean easily in my very hard water. Give me glass or plastic over tins any day.

31 8,057
 10-04-2014, 05:50 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Either, as long as diameter is sufficient.

Rustproof tins work just fine for me.

102 18,652
 10-04-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
Tubs by a long shot. The best ones I've seen so far are from JabonMan and Barrister and Mann, both are durable, easy to load wide diameter with ample room above the soap level to add water. The best tin I've seen is Larry's (CRSW) Select line, which is rust proof, has a wide diameter and leaves room above the soap level for clean and easy loading.

96 2,590
 10-04-2014, 06:04 AM
User Info
I use both plastic jars and metal tins in the packaging of my soaps.

When sourcing the metal tins for our Select line it quickly became apparent that all tins are not created equal. Tins come in basically three "flavors", no coating, a food safe coating advertised as rust proof and finally a food safe rust-proof coating. With that being said, all coatings are not created equal. Many of the advertised rust proof tins hold up fine when exposed to plain water, add water and salt (soap) to the mix and all bets are off as the coating breaks down over a short period of time.

I found and only use a food grade rust proof tin with a coating impervious to water and salt. Expensive? Yes! Worth it? Yes! I would feel terrible if my tin left a rusty ring on a counter or if you got to the bottom of the soap and the tin was corroded.

My answer is both, as long as the tin is large enough and properly coated.

4 925
 10-04-2014, 06:21 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-04-2014, 05:52 AM)Jmartz Wrote: Tubs by a long shot. The best ones I've seen so far are from JabonMan and Barrister and Mann, both are durable, easy to load wide diameter with ample room above the soap level to add water. The best tin I've seen is Larry's (CRSW) Select line, which is rust proof, has a wide diameter and leaves room above the soap level for clean and easy loading.

+1...Couldn't have said it better. I'm not opposed to tins by any means, and Larry's Select line tins are about as perfect as they come and by far my favorite tin. However, I do find that its easier for me run into a tub that I like for a soap versus a tin....there seems to be more options with tubs that are available to artisans versus usable tins.

34 1,628
 10-04-2014, 06:37 AM
User Info
(10-04-2014, 06:21 AM)Giorgio Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 05:52 AM)Jmartz Wrote: Tubs by a long shot. The best ones I've seen so far are from JabonMan and Barrister and Mann, both are durable, easy to load wide diameter with ample room above the soap level to add water. The best tin I've seen is Larry's (CRSW) Select line, which is rust proof, has a wide diameter and leaves room above the soap level for clean and easy loading.

+1...Couldn't have said it better. I'm not opposed to tins by any means, and Larry's Select line tins are about as perfect as they come and by far my favorite tin. However, I do find that its easier for me run into a tub that I like for a soap versus a tin....there seems to be more options with tubs that are available to artisans versus usable tins.

I looked for tins for awhile myself, but had difficulty finding acceptable products that are made in the US. There are a lot more options in plastic if you insist on keeping as many things as possible within the States. I had also had problems with tins being dented or destroyed in shipment (both to the lab and out to customers), so I decided to go with something a bit tougher (that being polypropylene, which is the only plastic I found that doesn't run the risk of leaching chemicals into hot soap).

5 407
 10-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Jars by a mile!
I ordered 2 boxloads of these: http://www.specialtybottle.com/clearpeth...cklid.aspx

I order my soaps as pucks-only now or if I don't like the vendor's tin/jar I'll dig the soap out and transplant it to my jars and make custom laminated labels.
They stack nicely and there's plenty of swirl room.

47 1,924
 10-04-2014, 07:40 AM
User Info
I also prefer jars/tubs, but really enjoy using shave-sticks for the ease of use. Smile

83 21,081
 10-04-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
(10-04-2014, 06:37 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I looked for tins for awhile myself, but had difficulty finding acceptable products that are made in the US.

You didn't look hard enough! Wink

4 925
 10-04-2014, 08:29 AM
User Info
I myself like tubs better but I really don't mind using Tins. Mike's tins are a very nice size for loading and any tub (even small ones like pannacrema) are easy for me to load using my duke 1.

If I had to choose one, I would give the edge to tubs only because I get a tin smell in my soaps from time to time.

46 1,102
 10-04-2014, 09:05 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I prefer tubs/jars. I did however, get my first tins of PPF the other day and man they are wide!
IKEA tins drive me nuts as you can't stack them due to the convex lid.
Above all that I can readily get, I prefer lighter Pyrex type bowls with a sealable lid for soaps that come loose, or the stock threaded top tubs like B&M or CBubbs comes in.

The ideal plastic tub to me, was the Acca Kappa 1869 round bottom with threaded lid- love it!

143 1,984
 10-04-2014, 09:18 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
My favorite containers from two of my favorite soap makers have already answered for me. My favorite tubs are from Barrister & Mann, and my favorite tins from CRSW Select line. I also like the large, flat containers used by Wickham Super Smooth as they are very easy to load from, and I can stack a half dozen different scents in the space of two decent sized tubs from another soap maker.

38 5,113
 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Tins aren't contributing to the Texas sized floating island of plastic waste off Midway Island.

2 3,171
 10-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I've never had a tin rust. For one thing, the ones I have are made of aluminum.

1 795
 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(10-07-2014, 08:37 AM)kav Wrote: Tins aren't contributing to the Texas sized floating island of plastic waste off Midway Island.

And neither are my tubs because they are either reused or properly recycled.

143 1,984
 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM
User Info
I like them both. But I can't open those darn tins. Slippery suckers.

0 1,007
 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM
User Info
(10-04-2014, 07:19 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Jars by a mile!
I ordered 2 boxloads of these: http://www.specialtybottle.com/clearpeth...cklid.aspx

I order my soaps as pucks-only now or if I don't like the vendor's tin/jar I'll dig the soap out and transplant it to my jars and make custom laminated labels.
They stack nicely and there's plenty of swirl room.

funny thing, I found this website when I was detailing cars. I could put wax into them. in fact thank you I just remembered I have some still in the garage that I will now pull out. they were good for car wax pif s and now will be for de supplies

73 1,297