10-04-2014, 09:41 AM
User Info
After 5 years of DE shaving I tried the Hydro 5 all I can say is wow what a shave 1/2 the time and boy what a close shave. No nicks no need for all the additional products to heal cuts etc.

3 115
 10-04-2014, 07:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-04-2014, 09:41 AM)kurtis Wrote: After 5 years of DE shaving I tried the Hydro 5 all I can say is wow what a shave 1/2 the time and boy what a close shave. No nicks no need for all the additional products to heal cuts etc.

Well, yes.

I am about halfway through my "give it a fair shot" trial of DE shaving and -- at this stage -- I must admit that if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between DE and a Schick Hydro razor for all of my shaves for the rest of my time on this mortal coil, I would toss the DE and keep the Schick Hydro.

There are some aspects of the DE experience that I really enjoy, mainly the enforced attention to detail. A longtime audiophile, I have had a top level stereo system for half a century, and admit that I can get nostalgic recalling my old routine of scrupulous cleaning of the record surface before each playing of a vinyl record, and the minute tweaking of the anti-skating mechanism on the tone arm -- while at the same time my objective sense realizes that I get purer sound reproduction from a John Eargle engineered compact disc/disk release than I ever got from any vinyl record. Playing with different DE blades recreates some of the old vinyl record personal involvement that I lack with CDs and Schick Hydros.

But for sheer closeness of shave with no irritation -- not to mention speed in completing the shaving task -- the Schick Hydro consistently beats out the best I can achieve with any DE blade. (My test bed is 25 Gillette Silver Blues, of which I have used about half, and 20 Polsilver Iridium Supers -- in Wizamet packaging, of which I have used about half -- and one Astra Platinum, already used, that came with the Standard Razors razor.) I am using Hydro3 cartridges in a Hydro5 handle, but -- except for color -- the Hydro5 and Hydro3 handles are identical; I have found zero difference in quality of shave between Hydro3 blades and Hydro5 blades, but I have found that either Hydro3 or Hydro5 is a quantum upgrade from any Gillette cartridge razor.

Later this month, I shall be visiting Japan, where I shall purchase a Feather MR3 neo razor and matching blades. The razor that will be in my Dopp kit (carry-on luggage) for the trip will be, as usual, my Schick Hydro, and I will be interested to see how it fares in a head-to-head competition with the Feather MR3 neo (and the Standard Razors DE). When traveling, I still follow my at-home routine to lather with a (synthetic bristle) brush; but, instead of a rotation of soaps and creams, I limit myself to one: KMF Lavender and Shea shaving cream, which I purchase in a TSA-approved-size KMF 3.4 oz. tube, so all the shave preps while I am on this month's trip will be the same from day to day.

EDIT 2014 October 15: In Japan right now, I decided to take the Provence Santé Green Tea soap with me this trip instead of the KMF cream. So, although I hav not yet purchase the MR3 neo, its first try on my face will be with PSGT.

Whatever the result of the Schick Hydro vs. Feather MR3 neo trial, I am committed to giving the Standard Razors DE trial its full 46-blade run. My technique has improved with every shave I have completed with the DE, and, while the DE remains a bit off the lead, I am not yet ready to predict with certainty what razor will wear the winner's garland and gold medal when the trial is complete.

1 1,110
 10-05-2014, 03:59 AM
User Info
Well said! I have purchased a razor pit to sharpen cartridge razors and can get 3 x the life out of the blades which also makes life a lot simpler and more cost effective.

3 115
 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-05-2014, 03:59 AM)kurtis Wrote: Well said! I have purchased a razor pit to sharpen cartridge razors and can get 3 x the life out of the blades which also makes life a lot simpler and more cost effective.

Photos! We demand photos!

1 1,110
 10-06-2014, 04:19 PM
User Info
Photos of the razor pit is that what you want?

3 115
 10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-06-2014, 04:19 PM)kurtis Wrote: Photos of the razor pit is that what you want?

Any photos showing how one would go about sharpening a cartridge. (The mind boggles.)

1 1,110
 10-10-2014, 01:58 AM
User Info
(10-04-2014, 09:41 AM)kurtis Wrote: After 5 years of DE shaving I tried the Hydro 5 all I can say is wow what a shave 1/2 the time and boy what a close shave. No nicks no need for all the additional products to heal cuts etc.

Great razor, I use it for ATG and for touch ups. Flip the head back to expose the blades and avoid the gooey lubrication strip. I find the Hydro 5 much better than the Fusion - the blades are stiffer resulting in a more confident and comfortable shave, and they also last twice as long as the Fusions.

23 475
 10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
User Info
I'm not going to lie...I've sported a beard for probably the last 7 months and have only trimmed up below my neck a few times. each time I do, I almost always used my schick hydro with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 times.

I still use my shaving brush and shaving cream though...

40 5,830
 10-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
If a modern cart works for you (i.e. do not irritate your skin) - then the speed, closeness & ease of use - make carts a no brainer.

But there are some like me who are unable to tolerate a cart shave. Over the last 20 years - I have gone DE (2 yrs)-->Sensor/Mach/Fusion (15+ yrs) --> DE/SE (2 yrs) and a single blade razor (i.e. a DE or SE) gives me the best shaves. Note that I have always wet shaved. Foams etc never worked for my tough beard/sensitive skin combo.

17 535
 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
A cartridge works for me, but the spaces are so tight in those billion-blade wonders that they always get clogged up with my coarse hair and gunk. Plus I hate those lubricating strips.

I shave at about the same speed with a DE (usually I only do one pass) without those issues and the blades are dirt cheap. I've more than made up for that fact with soap purchases of course, but that could be used with either.

The little single blade Gillette Guard I like better than any of those multi-blade units, and I would be happy enough using that. But I see no reason to, other than when I'm traveling.

9 112
 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
I use a Hydro 3 at times when traveling. While I prefer my DE for a variety of reasons, the Hydro 3 delivers a good shave for me.

51 6,444
 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
I've been using DE,SE & carts for over 53 yrs now.To me I've always preferred the DE but 6 months I found the King Cobra,best shave I've had in 20 yrs using a Feather Pro blade.Now 3 weeks ago I tried a Gillette Turbo MK3 cart.Found a place where I purchased a metal handle for the MK3 & what a surprise.Turns out that all these years it wasn't the cart that sucked it was the can goo.

The first blade I got 9 shaves[impressive]I normally get 5-6 shaves with my Feather Pro's on the KC & 7-8 shaves on my ATT Colossus DE.After some thought & knowledge I've found on the Nook,I started to leather strop the cart & now I've just gotten 14 shaves[BBS].This is now causing me quite a bitt of anxiety as I still love the old ways but have found the new carts to equil everthing else I've tried including my Feather Jap style straight & my Dovo shavette.

I used to blow off the carts as expensive garbage but now I have to take stock in the fact there's a new horse in my stable!I know this is probably a passing fad,but I'm sure enjoying it after all these years.

By the way I can't wait for the new Huntlee & Mongoose to hit my door but for now I guess I will be banished from the land of Wet Shaving, Shaves of the Day Undecided

20 441
 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
I admit that DE shaving is my favorite, but simply because it's more fun (I like manual transmission cars too, and for the same reason). I have developed my technique to the point where, if I use a mild razor, I can shave just as quickly with either cart or DE. I am interested in trying a cartridge razor as the finishing touch to a great shave.
I like to shave ATG on my upper lip to really get it smooth, and that can be hazardous with an aggressive DE razor, so I've purchased a disposable Fusion razor with the intention of trying that out. If it works as well as I hope, I will probably try a Schick Hydro too. I suppose that the idea of using two different razors for one shave may strike some people as odd, but appearing odd has never stopped me before.

See, I haven't even tried it yet and I'm having fun already. ☮
Euro

5 395
 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
I only like using my Trac II handles and shine Gillette blades for any time I'm in a rush. There's nothing like the art of traditional shaving though.

1 1,975
 01-23-2015, 05:06 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-23-2015, 09:31 AM)opsimath Wrote: I admit that DE shaving is my favorite, but simply because it's more fun (I like manual transmission cars too, and for the same reason). I have developed my technique to the point where, if I use a mild razor, I can shave just as quickly with either cart or DE. I am interested in trying a cartridge razor as the finishing touch to a great shave.
I like to shave ATG on my upper lip to really get it smooth, and that can be hazardous with an aggressive DE razor, so I've purchased a disposable Fusion razor with the intention of trying that out. If it works as well as I hope, I will probably try a Schick Hydro too. I suppose that the idea of using two different razors for one shave may strike some people as odd, but appearing odd has never stopped me before.

See, I haven't even tried it yet and I'm having fun already. ☮
Euro

With 45 years or so of cartridge shaving followed by (the last) 9 months of DE shaving on my odometer, I sympathize fully with the sentiment that one can get just as close a shave with a cartridge as with a DE, and one can get just as smooth a shave with a cartridge as with a DE; and one almost certainly will get a much quicker close-and-smooth shave with a cartridge than one can get with a DE; but there is a fun factor with the DE that no cartridge can quite capture. 

Generally, for whatever reason, one-piece disposable versions of interchangeable cartridge razors do not work as well as the two-piece cartridge razors do.  It may have something to do with balance (the handles of the one-piece disposables are generally light and flimsy), or with judder (the one-piece disposables do not seem to hold the blades in place as firmly), but the one-piece disposables just fall short. 

I think that you will find the Schick Hydro will blow the Gillette Fusion out of the water.  Gillette in 2015 reminds me of this year's edition of the New York Knicks:  proud history, pathetic current performance.  When I jumped the Gillette ship to Schick a few years back, it was to the Quattro Titanium, which was much better that the Gillette Mach 3; and I eventually upgraded to the Hydro 5 -- and that was an upgrade from the Quattro.  But then I decided to try Hydro 3 cartridges on the Hydro 5 handle (except for color scheme the 5 handle and the 3 handle are identical), and found that:

1. the shave that I get from the 3 is every bit as good as the shave I could get from the 5; and
  2. the 3 did not suffer as much shave cream clogging/build-up between its blades as the 5 did between its blades and is easier to rinse; and
  3. the 3 is more maneuverable in tight places like under the nose than the 5 is; and
  4. the Hydro 3 replacement cartridges are less expensive than the Hydro 5 replacement cartridges.

Guess which is the better buy.

[Begin speaking with the late night television commercial announcer's excited voice.]

BUT WAIT!  THERE'S MORE!

The Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor is even better than the Schick!  Yes, it's true!  You will get a closer shave and a smoother shave with an MR3 neo than with any other cartridge razor, in just as efficient a time as you will shave with a Gillette or a Schick. 

[End speaking with the late night television commercial announcer's excited voice.]

Downside:  the MR3 neo replacement cartridges are more expensive than the Hydro 3 replacement cartridges -- at least if you are purchasing the Hydro 3 cartridges in the "4+1" packaging (a regularly recurring promotion) at the apparently universal street sale price of $9.99. 

1 1,110
 01-23-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
when i used cartridges i didn't want to shave. now i use a de and i shave willingly several times every week. i think de shaving is good for my mind, my motor skills and my dreams while asleep.

7 1,624
 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
*if* i had to use a cart it would HANDS DOWN be the hydro 5. the one and only complaint i have with them is they dont clean out very well and take a bit of rinsing with my hair. but imo the gillette mach 5 isnt even close for me at least besides the cost difference, before i started de and straight shaving these were my go to carts

16 660