05-25-2012, 06:41 AM
User Info
Lately, no matter what, I'm experiencing razor burn, regardless of what I do or use.

I don't have a lot of dough and can't afford too many artisanal products. I just bought Mama Bear shave soaps; enough!

Can anyone recommend an off-the-shelf brand of balm that is both unscented and non-alcohol based? I can't pay US $10 for a fluid oz of this stuff. Surely there must be an alternative?

0 554
 05-25-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
 05-25-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 06:51 AM)insomniac Wrote: Nivea.

Is it unscented? I was searching an hour ago and the descriptions said nothing. I hope it is 'cause it seems inexpensive and dagnabbit, I need some something soothing!

0 554
 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Balms seems to clog my pores if I use them regularly. I prefer the tube of Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF20 to the Nivea. I think both have a very light "lotion" scent, but I don't remember the scent being that strong or hanging around that long once they are absorbed.

0 204
 05-25-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 07:10 AM)njpaddy Wrote: Balms seems to clog my pores if I use them regularly. I prefer the tube of Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF20 to the Nivea. I think both have a very light "lotion" scent, but I don't remember the scent being that strong or hanging around that long once they are absorbed.

Thanks, Brian! I also have my eyes on this product and I appreciate the input.

0 554
 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Nivea Sensitive has no added scents, just the smell of the components. It works okay.

I find that Nivea and similar products have a bit of false economy to them. They require a lot more product for the same effect as something like L'Occitane Cade or RazoRock AS Wax. They are still cheaper per use, it's true, but not as much as it initially seems.

Witch hazel is also pretty soothing to razor burn, you can get it for about $2 or so for a big bottle.

10 1,858
 05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
User Info
proraso sensitive, alcohol free.

i know it's available locally for us CDN's, at Shopper Drug Mart and is around $12-15 for a big bottle that lasts a long time.

8 2,718
 05-25-2012, 07:28 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I second the use of witch hazel and also the fact that you can use any decent, unscented moisturizer over the witch hazel and get the same or better soothing effect as a good balm, likely for less money.
Wally World has several brands with unscented products. Purpose, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Cetaphil. Look for non-comedogenic and maybe oil free if you have skin issues and find one that you like that doesn't cause you any skin issues.

I'd also agree that some of the cheaper products end up not being cheaper because they are not concentrated and/or they use fillers so you need to use more product in the end which could cost you more.

6 905
 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 07:14 AM)Songwind Wrote: They are still cheaper per use, it's true, but not as much as it initially seems.

Witch hazel is also pretty soothing to razor burn, you can get it for about $2 or so for a big bottle.

I use Wally World Witch Hazel all the time after the final rinse. It doesn't soothe me, though I like its effect. Of course, this brand does contain 14% alky. Maybe a non-alcoholic brand?

I'm a big fan of bang-for-the-buck. 'Preciate that info!

(05-25-2012, 07:23 AM)brucered Wrote: proraso sensitive, alcohol free.

i know it's available locally for us CDN's, at Shopper Drug Mart and is around $12-15 for a big bottle that lasts a long time.

I haven't seen that one on the shelves. Making a note of ALL these suggestions! Biggrin

(05-25-2012, 07:28 AM)EHV Wrote: I second the use of witch hazel and also the fact that you can use any decent, unscented moisturizer over the witch hazel and get the same or better soothing effect as a good balm, likely for less money.
Wally World has several brands with unscented products. Purpose, Neutrogena, Aveeno, Cetaphil. Look for non-comedogenic and maybe oil free if you have skin issues and find one that you like that doesn't cause you any skin issues.

I'd also agree that some of the cheaper products end up not being cheaper because they are not concentrated and/or they use fillers so you need to use more product in the end which could cost you more.

NOW yer tawkin'! Hmm

0 554
 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 07:14 AM)Songwind Wrote: I find that Nivea and similar products have a bit of false economy to them. They require a lot more product for the same effect as something like L'Occitane Cade or RazoRock AS Wax. They are still cheaper per use, it's true, but not as much as it initially seems.

I second this. I use the Nivea Sensitive ASB. I also just got some RazoRock ASB as well. I have to use almost twice as much of the Nivea.

It is super convenient to just pick more up at the store though.

0 120
 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
I have a ton of different balms but I would second the Nivea recommendation. I don't find that I have to use more of this product to get the same effect as other balms. I do however apply the balm while my skin is still damp. I'll typically use an A/S and while my face is still wet/moist apply the Nivea. I use it quite sparingly. I have several of the balms in Nivea's line but really like the unscented version the best.

0 145
 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Rather than cure, perhaps concentrate on prevention. Is irritation a new shaving experience for you? A few tips for preventing irritation include: face mapping (you maybe doing an ATG when you thought you were doing XTG or WTG), less passes, less pressure, try a different blade (some blades perform better in different razors, some blades just don't work for some people), try OC instead of CC, is your prep adequate...?

91 17,876
 05-26-2012, 08:22 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
My cure has always been Trumpers skin food. It's not cheap, but you only use a small amount each time. I've used it a few dozen times so far and still have about 85-90% of the bottle. No burning, just smooth as silk.

9 408
 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I like the Nivea balms. Inexpensive and works well for me.

100 12,450
 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:22 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: My cure has always been Trumpers skin food. It's not cheap, but you only use a small amount each time. I've used it a few dozen times so far and still have about 85-90% of the bottle. No burning, just smooth as silk.

I like the GFT skin food too. I prefer the coral and I team it up with some Dr Harris Pink A/S...

91 17,876
 05-26-2012, 09:32 AM
User Info
For the money I think Speick's balm is fantastic. Whenever I need to have some serious healing I reach for it. A little goes a long way and I typically have no need to reapply it.

0 41
 05-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:22 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: My cure has always been Trumpers skin food. It's not cheap, but you only use a small amount each time. I've used it a few dozen times so far and still have about 85-90% of the bottle. No burning, just smooth as silk.

Skin Food (with fruity colognes) or RazoRock King Louis AS Wax (with spicy colognes) are my go-to when the face is feeling ill-used.

10 1,858
 05-26-2012, 10:11 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(05-26-2012, 09:00 AM)ben74 Wrote:

I like the GFT skin food too. I prefer the coral and I team it up with some Dr Harris Pink A/S...

If you could equate the smell of the Coral skin food to anything, what would it be? I myself have the Sandalwood, and have not tried any other scent.

9 408
 05-26-2012, 10:18 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I believe Coral is a rose scent.

10 1,858
 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM
User Info
I've been using homemade pre-shave oil lately and I find it greatly reduces razor burn and leaves my skin feeling well conditioned. It takes so little--3-5 drops massaged into your skin before you shave. I've gone so far as to shave with just the oil and didn't get any razor burn at all, which is odd for me. Sometimes more care before can alleviate problems after, but YMMV.

4 112