10-04-2014, 11:48 PM
User Info
So I really want to start straight razor shaving. I am just not wanting to break the bank right out of the gate. Is this a good option in all honesty? Also as for the strop I know the 3" rich man strop is better than the poor man strop but I wont be able to afford it right away. Considering that I have read that many newbies ruin their first strop I figured the poor man strop would be an ok deal. Is it that much harder to strop with the 2" one? I appologize for all the questions. I want to start straight shaving but I just want something that I can learn on and if I do happen to ruin it somehow Im not out loads of cash. Any help is appreciated. I do plan on learning to hone after a while. I want to have a shave that is truly my own.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

0 28
 10-05-2014, 04:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Whipped Dog is an excellent way to start. And although it is easier to strop on a 3", you can learn to strop on a 2".

I say go for it.

178 23,809
 10-05-2014, 07:48 AM
User Info
Larry at Whipped Dog is an excellent guy to do business with. Not only are his products very nice, but he is very willing to help a new guy out with information and guidance.

I honestly think a two inch strop is the better starting option for a couple of reasons. One, your strop options expand greatly, especially if you start looking for vintage strops or buy some of the excellent new strops available on Etsy. Second, if you do decide to learn to hone, that X pattern is almost a requirement.

Yes you may be slightly more prone to nick a two inch strop in the beginning but honestly no matter what width you are likely to nick it. If you learn the X pattern initially you will always know it and if you later move to a 2.5 or three inch strop you have lost nothing, and in fact gained an additional skill.

Of course, YMMV, IMHO, etc all apply here. Angel

18 145
 10-05-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
Thanks gents! I really appreciate the info. I have heard great things about Larry! I just wanted to make sure this was a good start. So next week i will get it. Now time to watch some videos and read some stuff to give me a general overview. Again thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

0 28