10-05-2014, 01:15 AM
User Info
Hello. I am a newbie. I have already bought the Edwin jaggerDE89L and want to buy a brush. There is a lot of confusion. I want to start with a quality brush so I decided on the Simpson Harvard H4. I was even thinking of a Simpson Persian Jar 2 Super. Are the Simpsons as good as their reputation?

0 98
 10-05-2014, 06:49 AM
User Info
I own both these Simpson models and are fantastic brushes the Harvard H4 has a wonder ergonomic handle great for bowl lathering, as for the Persian jar mine is the PJ3 model a little bit bigger again a wonder performer. Very similar in knot size.

At present (Simpson) the Best grade badger is second to none a great choice, whichever you choice they are both great. Oh go one get both !!!

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 10-05-2014, 08:10 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(10-05-2014, 01:15 AM)Alex7 Wrote: Hello. I am a newbie. I have already bought the Edwin jaggerDE89L and want to buy a brush. There is a lot of confusion. I want to start with a quality brush so I decided on the Simpson Harvard H4. I was even thinking of a Simpson Persian Jar 2 Super. Are the Simpsons as good as their reputation?

Short and straight answer: YES!

I think that you have chosen great brushes to start, you could also go with a Duke 3, a great all around brush. I have one and I love it.

2 242
 10-05-2014, 11:13 AM
User Info
You really can't go wrong with any Simpson in Best for your first brush. You may also want to consider the Duke 3.

50 6,082
 10-05-2014, 11:39 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
My first Simpson was a Classic 2 in Best. Today I have 4 additional in Best or Manchurian. I tried the other companies but love my Simpson brushes. IMO their quality is second to none. P.S. I am a face lather.

2 479
 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I came late to the Simpson party, thinking they couldn't be THAT good. The day I used my first Simpson brush I smacked myself for waiting so long to get one. I would have saved a bit of cash had I listened to what others were trying to tell me back then.

It is all too easy to do worse than a current production Simpson Best.

2 286
 10-06-2014, 11:47 PM
User Info
I have yet to order anything of a "higher grade" than Simpsons Best in badger. With some retailers you can ask for a hand selected brush with no scratch if that's what you prefer. It's your first brush, so I'd just take one off of the shelf. Simpsons Best can be exquisite. It's also badger hair that hasn't been chemically treated.

But frankly, if I was a noob today I'd start with a synthetic and not look back. You'll save $ and the performance will be excellent. The Chubby syn' is a fantastic performer. Ask for it to be hand selected for a 55mm loft if possible. Don't be surprised if it can't be though. They are soft at the tips, yet have fantastic backbone, and are dense.

If just a few years ago someone had told me I would suggest the above to anyone I would have claimed that they were crazy. Times change, synthetics have as well, I don't very much. I still insist on performance. I'm just surprised this old curmudgeon has embraced the synthetics as much as I have since I'm so particular. That speaks more to the synthetics IMO and less to the curmudgeon Rolleyes . They're really good today. As a noob you won't be able to compare them to badger, but just accept them for what they are... excellent brushes.

32 6,459
 10-07-2014, 05:26 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Simpson Commodore. I have a vintage Commodore 3 and it is truly an outstanding brush. Can't vouch for the modern version in 3, but I have a Commodore 1 and it really is a good value brush, a good all rounder and it's soooooo soft.....

0 1,768
 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(10-06-2014, 11:47 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: But frankly, if I was a noob today I'd start with a synthetic and not look back. You'll save $ and the performance will be excellent.

Agreed. And not just for a noob. If I had to stick to just one brush, I'd go synthetic. I'd miss the luxurious feel of a good badger but I'd lose nothing in softness and performance. (I'd probably save on soap and creams too.)

2 286
 10-09-2014, 12:27 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Simpson is top notch, you can't go wrong with a Simpson in best.
If you do get one, don't be surprised if you end up with a few of them.
The only issue I have found with Simpson is explaining to SWIMBO why I need so many.Angel

28 1,622
 10-15-2014, 11:41 AM
User Info
After much consideration(and advice). I've ordered a whipped dog silvertip brush/ 22 mm knot 50 mm loft.

0 98
 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
congratulations with your choice alex - i hope you will have what you are expecting.

7 1,624
 10-17-2014, 11:37 PM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
Simpson brushes are excellent, IMO. I love my Chubby 1 in Best!

5 57