10-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Folks, my printer (Canon Pixma MX712) decided to crap out on me after just two years. HP is out of the picture for me because of problems in the past. Canon has been pretty good to me but I am considering giving Epson a chance. There are two reasonably priced ones that I am considering, the WF-3620 and its bigger sibling the WF-3640. Ironically, they are both the same price. The larger one has two paper trays and a larger LCD screen otherwise they seem to be identical in all other respects.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these machines, either good or bad, and what are they?

Also, do you think a printer would be safe to have shipped from Amazon? While I can purchase it locally (and for the same price) at Best Buy, Office Depot, or Staples, the reason for Amazon is that it would be delivered to my door which is one flight above shops on a main street. Even without packaging, the weight of these is listed as 21 pounds (3620) and 25 pounds (3640) and while I could lift it, I am beginning to find it a bit more difficult than when I was younger.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 11,211
 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM
User Info
check out brother printers, if you get some time. very highly rated and cheap.

40 5,830
 10-05-2014, 03:26 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
I looked at a few Brother printers, Andrew, but the Epson seems to have the features I want at an affordable price. Ink costs seem to be comparable between the two and, overall, I am just leaning more towards the Epson machines.

2 11,211
 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've had a couple of Epson professional photo printers for larger sized prints, with excellent performance. I've also ordered Brother laser printers for my office from Amazon, and have had no complaints. It's easy to return a product to them if it's damaged or defective, although there would be a wait time, whereas with a local store you could exchange it.

38 5,199
 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks for the information, Richard. The printers I'm looking at get excellent reviews for text but only fair reviews for photos. However, my photography experience is limited to point and shoot type pictures so I don't think I'll notice too much that would be critical. It would have to be really bad for me to notice.

Your heads-up on Amazon delivering your printer gives me a bit more confidence so I may take that route.

2 11,211
 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
I got the printer today, but at Costco. It was $5.00 less than anywhere else, including Amazon, and I did manage to get it up the stairs. It seems to be working fine, too, so I'm glad that's over and done. Smile

2 11,211
 10-08-2014, 01:32 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Get a Lexmark S600. One tough, easy to use printer. Scanning is easy, downloading scans to your computer is easy, hooking it up as a fax machine is easy. We have had ours for 5-years and it has not missed a beat. If it breaks tonight and will buy another tomorrow.

179 23,935