10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
User Info
Hi guys,

I picked up a Standard Razor in the black finish about a week or so ago and started giving it a run. First shave I found that the blade reveal wasn't equal with the supplied Astra blade. I could shave really well with one side but the other barely touched my face. Didn't really care to try to fix it since I was running behind for work, but figured it was the blade. Great shave overall, no nicks or irritation.

Then the next time I shaved with it I swapped out the blade to a PolSilver to see how the blade did with it. Again, a great shave, except the blade reveal was off. I was getting great reveal from one side and not the other. This razor doesn't give any exposure to the sides of the blade to line them up, but I believe it's designed so that one shouldn't have to adjust the position of the blade in the first place. Got a great shave regardless.

Third shave, Feather blade to mix things up. I examined the razor more closely and could visually see that one side was more exposed this time. I loosened the head of the razor and attempted to use my thumbnail to move the blade over before tightening it back up. Didn't change the reveal at all, still off and to the same side. Tried that a few more times and got the same result, always had the blade shifted over to the same side. Shaved with the razor anyway, and the side that shaved still gave me an exceptional shave.

Then I contacted Standard Razors via email about it to request an exchange due to the issue. I very shortly received a reply saying it was no problem and asking for my physical address again to send out a replacement. I emailed back with the address and stated I'd send the current one in as soon as I could get to the post office. That's how I've always had to do exchanges in the past: Send in the current one, when the company receives it they send out the replacement. Well, not so much! This was their response:

"No need to send back the current one. We apologize for giving you a defective model in the first place, and it would be unfair to make you do any extra work.

We'll ship yours out early next week.

Jode
Standard Razors"

I've never run across a company that's as trusting and gracious as this, so I was really taken aback by the policy and wanted to share. I expect they'll have the razor inbound in the next day or two and I expect no issues, but since I didn't have a razor that was built to spec (even though it shaved excellently on the one side regardless) I'll be sure also to post when I get a shave in with the properly built replacement. Smile

3 96
 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
User Info
That's great service indeed. Kudos to Standard Razors.

206 12,188
 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
(10-06-2014, 10:09 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: That's great service indeed. Kudos to Standard Razors.

+1

82 21,056
 10-07-2014, 07:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-06-2014, 10:07 AM)IMightBeWrong Wrote: I picked up a Standard Razor in the black finish about a week or so ago and started giving it a run.

I've never run across a company that's as trusting and gracious as this, so I was really taken aback by the policy and wanted to share.

In five decades of wet shaving (that is, lathering with a real brush and real soap before placing a real blade against my skin), the only DE razor that I ever have used is a Standard Razors razor. I am, therefore, not qualified to compare or to contrast a Standard Razors DE in respect of any other brand or model of DE razor. However, in evaluating DE shaving against the cartridge razors that I have been using for all these years, I never have had the impression that the Standard Razors razor has been in any way a limiting factor in my giving DE blades (Gillette Silver Blue, Super Iridium, Astra) a fair shot at strutting their stuff. Whatever the human holding the razor can do, the Standard Razors razor can execute with aplomb.

And in my communications with the company, the other end of the conversation has been exemplary. It is a good company to associate with.

0 1,048
 10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I had an excellent customer service experience with this company as well. It's a classy outfit and a pleasure to deal with.

They are announcing a new product soon--should be interesting to see what they come up with.

60 843
 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
User Info
I had the exact same experience with the silver model and was offered a no-cost replacement without returning the original. I received a replacement with some cosmetic flaws but it shaved without issues, blade reveal being equal on both sides. I since ordered another black model and the handle lost some coating after one use near the base of the screw post...will contact them about fixing that as well. Overall, have had an excellent cutomer service experience, if not flawless product quality.

9 151
 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
This is the kind of stuff that brings nostalgia back for me, for when and how companies use to really take care of their customers. Love it!

1 1,975
 10-19-2014, 11:38 AM
User Info
Great review. I've been thinking about a Standard for a while. I think I'll pull the trigger. Thanks!

1 46
 10-19-2014, 02:20 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
A truly nice razor ..shaves well..made well and priced reasonably...I have one in each color.

6 1,994
 10-19-2014, 03:29 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Great customer service. It sounds like a good company to deal with.
Best of luck and I hope to see the new one on SOTD!Biggrin

28 1,619