05-02-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
I started using Feather blades not too long after they became available in the US, and my search for blades was over. I use them almost exclusively. Once in a while, someone will ask me to try another blade and I will. Then I go back to the Feather. I use the Feather Platinums (yellow box, but I think the black boxed ones are identical) in my DEs, the Artist Clubs in my AC SEs, and the FHS in the OneBlade.

When I got 'serious' about the wet-shaving hobby, the person who was mentoring me insisted I use Feather blades, and I'm very glad he did. I was very tentative at first because of what I had heard of them, but this was perhaps the best piece of shaving advice I'd ever received.

I use them for 2 shaves: Once in a while, I'll stretch the Artist Club or FHS to a third shave, but the DEs are discarded after two shaves for me.

29 833
 05-02-2017, 03:02 PM
User Info
I've been DE shaving since the first of the year. I've been through a large Sample Pack and a half-dozen others that were PIFed to me (Thanx Tom!). So far I get DFS with about 3 different ones and really DFS including a few BBS thrown in using Feather and Kai. I've backed off the number of "attempted" shaves from 7 to 5 and I'm going to 4 in an attempt to really dial those 2 blades in. Regardless of who wins the Number One spot; Feather will be in the top two and part of my regular rotation.

RON

0 195
 06-11-2017, 03:14 AM
User Info
I use the DE Feathers and Nothing gives better shaves for me. I'm not fussed that I don't get 5-6-7 shaves out of them, but the shaves I do are super close and just nothing comes close imo

0 103
 12-27-2017, 11:39 AM
  • Wayjr
  • Kennesaw, GA
User Info
I used a feather blade for the first time today. I waited until I was fairly proficient wet shaving, because I have read about how super sharp they are, and I didn’t want to turn my face into something that looked like Freddy Krueger got a hold of.
I only shaved WTG, so I haven’t had time to form an opinion about them. However, after shaving with them for the first time, I’m thinking they’re to sharp for my sensitive face.

0 55
 12-30-2017, 01:18 PM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 11:39 AM)Wayjr Wrote: I used a feather blade for the first time today. I waited until I was fairly proficient wet shaving, because I have read about how super sharp they are, and I didn’t want to turn my face into something that looked like Freddy Krueger got a hold of.
I only shaved WTG, so I haven’t had time to form an opinion about them. However, after shaving with them for the first time, I’m thinking they’re to sharp for my sensitive face.

Don't give up too soon. Your sensitive face will really tolerate Feathers in a mild type razor. You will get great results too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 119
 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM
  • Wayjr
  • Kennesaw, GA
User Info
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
I think you’re right about the milder razor. I use a Gillette Fat Boy, so I have to shave on the lower settings.

0 55
 04-05-2018, 10:41 AM
User Info
Just tried a Feather for the first time on my Wolfman SS. I have been using Dorco for the most part - shaves were ok but nothing great. I tried a Derby and I didn't like that at all; same experience with the Merkur. Lots of irritation. I don't think those razors were all that sharp.

Back to the Feather. I was actually a bit scared of the Feather since I read how super super sharp they are. I did get a couple of weepers but it was only when I applied pressure. When I let the razor do all the work it was super efficient - I didn't feel the blade at all. No irritation. Really pleased with the Feather!

0 32
 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
User Info
After trying a Feather blade for the first time last night and doing a second shave tonight, just finished minutes ago, I will give my evaluation:

Do NOT shave with this in a heavy razor!  It is for milder razors like the Weishi 9306.  The Feather is ridiculously sharp, certainly lives up to its reputation, and gives practically no irritation.  Having said that, even though I used no more pressure than I normally do with my Merkur 34c, I ended up with a bunch of weepers.  They were quickly closed up with a little pressure to stop the bleeding, but daaaamn, that blade nicked me up badly!  I suspect that this blade was designed for lighter-weight razors.  Don't get me wrong.  If you prefer sharp blades over smooth ones, can learn to master shaving with it to reduce nicking, or have a lighter-weight razor to put it in, this blade is definitely a keeper and as I have heard it, it lasts a good long time.  But understand going in that this blade really does require a lighter touch.  I think I'll stick with my Astra SPs and PolSilver/Wizamet Super Iridium blades.

0 100
 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Michael_W Wrote: After trying a Feather blade for the first time last night and doing a second shave tonight, just finished minutes ago, I will give my evaluation:

Do NOT shave with this in a heavy razor!  It is for milder razors like the Weishi 9306.  The Feather is ridiculously sharp, certainly lives up to its reputation, and gives practically no irritation.  Having said that, even though I used no more pressure than I normally do with my Merkur 34c, I ended up with a bunch of weepers.  They were quickly closed up with a little pressure to stop the bleeding, but daaaamn, that blade nicked me up badly!  I suspect that this blade was designed for lighter-weight razors.  Don't get me wrong.  If you prefer sharp blades over smooth ones, can learn to master shaving with it to reduce nicking, or have a lighter-weight razor to put it in, this blade is definitely a keeper and as I have heard it, it lasts a good long time.  But understand going in that this blade really does require a lighter touch.  I think I'll stick with my Astra SPs and PolSilver/Wizamet Super Iridium blades.

With respect, I think your conclusion is the result of a combination of a small sample size and more than one variable.  The Feather blade is a very flexible blade that, when deformed from flat, acts like a leaf spring in similar circumstances.  Most nicks and weepers result from a blade that is springing back to its original position after deformation.  The Feather works best in a razor that tightly clamps the blade relatively near to the cutting edge, examples being a “torquing” type of slant razor or a razor like a Gillette Tech or Feather AS-D2 that contacts the blade along its full width from both the top cap above and the baseplate below, very near to the cutting edge.  That kind of clamping action can be achieved in both heavy razors and light razors, as it is the geometry, not the mass, that most determines the degree of clamping.

1 1,200
 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
You are not alone. I get comfortable shaves with feather ac, so sharpeness is not a question, but the de version is not for me. Fortunately we have many blades to choose from. Find one that you like.

9 1,375
 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM
User Info
(04-11-2018, 08:04 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Michael_W Wrote: After trying a Feather blade for the first time last night and doing a second shave tonight, just finished minutes ago, I will give my evaluation:

With respect, I think your conclusion is the result of a combination of a small sample size and more than one variable.  The Feather blade is a very flexible blade that, when deformed from flat, acts like a leaf spring in similar circumstances.  Most nicks and weepers result from a blade that is springing back to its original position after deformation.  The Feather works best in a razor that tightly clamps the blade relatively near to the cutting edge, examples being a “torquing” type of slant razor or a razor like a Gillette Tech or Feather AS-D2 that contacts the blade along its full width from both the top cap above and the baseplate below, very near to the cutting edge.  That kind of clamping action can be achieved in both heavy razors and light razors, as it is the geometry, not the mass, that most determines the degree of clamping.

I did not realize that.  My Merkur 34c does bend blades to conform to the shape of the razor head, so maybe that could explain why I get so many weepers with the Feather as opposed to, say, the Super Iridium or the Personna Lab Blue in the same razor.

0 100
 04-13-2018, 03:41 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-12-2018, 10:37 AM)Michael_W Wrote: My Merkur 34c does bend blades to conform to the shape of the razor head, so maybe that could explain why I get so many weepers with the Feather as opposed to, say, the Super Iridium or the Personna Lab Blue in the same razor.

Just about every three-piece DE razor (and twist-to close and two-piece DE razors, also) bends the blade parallel to its long axis to impart stiffness to the blade.  The force needed to bend the blade is applied by the underside edge of the top cap (or the door of a twist-to-close); the greater the distance from the blade’s centerline toward the cutting edges of the blade the pressure is applied, that is, the lesser the exposure of the top side of the blade ― the greater is the leverage for the bending.  But the greater distance the pressure-applying top-cap edge is from the blade’s cutting edge, the more freedom there is for the exposed edge of the blade to develop ripples along its length as the localized friction between blade edge and face attempts to bend portions of the lip of the blade upward.

But the baseplate, more than the top-cap (or butterfly equivalent of a top-cap), is the source of the greater differences among DE razors, because, in addition to exposure, the baseplate defines the gap — the “vertical” distance between the underside of the blade and the leading edge of the baseplate — of the razor.  The configuration of my Feather AS-D2:  

[Image: cgOkfNn.jpg]
. . . tightly clamps the edge of a DE blade, top and bottom, very near to the cutting edge of the blade; and — even with a very flexible and very sharp Feather Hi-Stainless blade in the Feather razor — it is difficult to nick oneself with the razor because the blade has little freedom to bend further in the smidgen of its width between the clamping sides of the razor and the cutting edge.  

However, if I swap the baseplate of an iKon Deluxe Open Comb razor into the same Feather AS-D2 razor (it fits perfectly):

[Image: PYQL1f6.jpg]
. . . the iKon baseplate allows the edge of the blade a greater freedom of play than it has with the Feather AS-D2 baseplate installed, and the risk of (and perhaps frequency of incidents of) getting a nick when shaving with a flexible and sharp Feather blade in the hybrid Feather/iKon razor configuration is higher than in the Feather/Feather razor configuration. (I do enjoy shaving with the razor in both configurations, even with Feather blades, however.)

1 1,200
 04-13-2018, 07:07 AM
User Info
(04-13-2018, 03:41 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 10:37 AM)Michael_W Wrote: My Merkur 34c does bend blades to conform to the shape of the razor head, so maybe that could explain why I get so many weepers with the Feather as opposed to, say, the Super Iridium or the Personna Lab Blue in the same razor.

Just about every three-piece DE razor (and twist-to close and two-piece DE razors, also) bends the blade parallel to its long axis to impart stiffness to the blade.  The force needed to bend the blade is applied by the underside edge of the top cap (or the door of a twist-to-close); the greater the distance from the blade’s centerline toward the cutting edges of the blade the pressure is applied, that is, the lesser the exposure of the top side of the blade ― the greater is the leverage for the bending.  But the greater distance the pressure-applying top-cap edge is from the blade’s cutting edge, the more freedom there is for the exposed edge of the blade to develop ripples along its length as the localized friction between blade edge and face attempts to bend portions of the lip of the blade upward.

But the baseplate, more than the top-cap (or butterfly equivalent of a top-cap), is the source of the greater differences among DE razors, because, in addition to exposure, the baseplate defines the gap — the “vertical” distance between the underside of the blade and the leading edge of the baseplate — of the razor.  The configuration of my Feather AS-D2:  

[Image: cgOkfNn.jpg]
. . . tightly clamps the edge of a DE blade, top and bottom, very near to the cutting edge of the blade; and — even with a very flexible and very sharp Feather Hi-Stainless blade in the Feather razor — it is difficult to nick oneself with the razor because the blade has little freedom to bend further in the smidgen of its width between the clamping sides of the razor and the cutting edge.  

However, if I swap the baseplate of an iKon Deluxe Open Comb razor into the same Feather AS-D2 razor (it fits perfectly):

[Image: PYQL1f6.jpg]
. . . the iKon baseplate allows the edge of the blade a greater freedom of play than it has with the Feather AS-D2 baseplate installed, and the risk of (and perhaps frequency of incidents of) getting a nick when shaving with a flexible and sharp Feather blade in the hybrid Feather/iKon razor configuration is higher than in the Feather/Feather razor configuration. (I do enjoy shaving with the razor in both configurations, even with Feather blades, however.)

Ooh, okay.  Thanks for the info!  I placed the Feather blade in my Van Der Weishi and shaved with it last night.  I only got a couple of weepers in my usual problem areas at the corners of my mouth.  The Weishi doesn't bend the blade nearly as much as two- or three-piece razors in my collection.

0 100
 04-13-2018, 09:15 AM
User Info
My two cents on this is, the Feather razor was designed for the Feather blade, it began with the AS-D1, which was not perfect and continued into the AS-D2, an improved razor. I don't know if other blade makers in the
past or present has done this, other than the originals (Gillette,Gem) in current production. So, for the best use of the Feather blade, try the Feather razor.... Smile

0 412
 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-13-2018, 09:15 AM)zipper Wrote: My two cents on this is, the Feather razor was designed for the Feather blade, it began with the AS-D1, which was not perfect and continued into the AS-D2, an improved razor. I don't know if other blade makers in the
past or present has done this, other than the originals (Gillette,Gem) in current production. So, for the best use of the Feather blade, try the Feather razor.... Smile
Isn't this akin to the tail wagging the dog?

80 3,342
 04-18-2018, 04:05 AM
User Info
(10-08-2014, 06:39 PM)stickbow46 Wrote: That's all I use,both DE & SE,nothing else comes close.

This, but also feeling the love for the Schick P-30s as well.

1 34