Poll: What kind of edge do you prefer?
 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info

I like rounded edges because when I used the square, sharp ones I'll have a near-flawless shave one day and cut myself the next. What I'm thinking is that my angle holding the razor can vary a little bit from day to day (no I'm not shaving drugged or drunk) and the margin of error is slight.

0 282
 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
John,
Round-edges are best for me. Those sharp pointed ones are a bit precarious!

75 20,883
 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM
User Info
I like square points because they are easier to use around sideburns and to trim around the nostrils. Thy can be a little more precarious because the point can cause nicks if your stroke is off or your attention wanders

2 697
 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM
User Info
I only use one straight and it's a French point. Not a spike and not a round. I think Spanish points look the best though

9 451
 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM
User Info
Both styles work well, I would say for someone starting off i would advise a round point, but personally i prefer the look a razor with a square point, it comes down to a matter of taste and style. PS I also prefer the look of a French point over the round.

Jamie

5 1,805
 05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I prefer the spike points. They make sure you stay on your game, but are also much better for detail work like sideburns and under the nose. The round point isn't bad per se, but it can be a bit more "clunky" for lack of a better word

9 541
 05-28-2012, 05:28 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I have trimmed my straight razor collection to 12. All are round points except for one square point. In the past I've had razors in Spanish point, square point, muted spike point, French point and Spanish point. And barber's notch, which is my favorite.

132 2,614
 05-28-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
(05-27-2012, 10:52 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: I prefer the spike points. They make sure you stay on your game, but are also much better for detail work like sideburns and under the nose. The round point isn't bad per se, but it can be a bit more "clunky" for lack of a better word

"clunky"?! I know what you're trying to describe and can't think of a better word because I'm still laughing. I just woke up, so "clunky" gave me a visual of some clumsy guy with extra fat fingers trying to shave. I'm goofy in the morning. LOL

I agree, round points seem to have that extra steel that just gets in the way. I had problems getting close to my ears and goatee, but spikes and my neck will never see eye to eye. The French point is a good balance between the two.

9 451