10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Up til recently I had attended 2 concerts.When I was 15 I attended a Dr Hook concert at a local college and when I was 20 or so David Bowie's Glass Spiders tour at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

In the last week I attended an Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull concert and a concert by Blue Oyster Cult.

After the Anderson concert I was filled with regret that I had never caught Tull in their prime. The sound mixer pretty much buried Andersons Mic in the bands output(someone suggested this was deliberate).About half the concert Anderson had an "understudy" singing for him while he played the flute.When Anderson chose to sing he pretty much sounded like the old studio albums until his voice cracked while attemping to hold a note.But hey at his age I'll probably be lucky to hold a conversation without oxygen much less a note.Overall it was pretty much an enjoyable experience.Anderson did about 6 songs from his new disc and the rest from the Tull catalog.I was a bit put off by the video show overlapping Che Guevarra and Jesus Christ repeatedly.But the rest of the vids shown supported the songs.

In comparison the BOC concert was much better.The vocals were not buried in the instrumentals,the voices were pretty clear and the band had fun while doing the show.The opening act "all them witches" did a 45 minute set and the BOC did about 90 minutes and a 3 -4 song encore.No video shows just music and banter with the audience.BOC seemed to play one song from each album they picked from their catalog.Which was a shame as several discs have more than one song worthy of concert play esp the Fire of Unknown Origin disc,But the songs ranged from their first disc to their hard stuff of later times.

My wife who is a Black Lady whose music taste runs to the pop and country genres asked me both times "who are we going to see?".She ended up enjoying both shows although she did note that she could not understand half of Andersons singing.I just pointed out that he was english and she nodded in acceptance.She laughed in delight when BOC played Godzilla.
If BOC shows up in your neck of the woods--grab a ticket.

0 275
 10-07-2014, 04:44 PM
User Info
(10-07-2014, 04:17 PM)urrlord Wrote: Up til recently I had attended 2 concerts.When I was 15 I attended a Dr Hook concert at a local college and when I was 20 or so David Bowie's Glass Spiders tour at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

That is one strange pairing of shows to have had under your belt as the only two ever.

129 6,685
 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
I'm a big Tull fan and have been since the 70's when they were considered "Progressive Rock". As for the imagery during the show, Anderson has always been anti Catholic Church. Some of their earlier work were slaps at the Church of England. Glad you enjoyed the shows.

BTW, how was the cow bell at BOC?? LOL!

9 1,203
 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
(10-07-2014, 04:44 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 04:17 PM)urrlord Wrote: Up til recently I had attended 2 concerts.When I was 15 I attended a Dr Hook concert at a local college and when I was 20 or so David Bowie's Glass Spiders tour at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

That is one strange pairing of shows to have had under your belt as the only two ever.
I've had several people say that.lol.
I have wide ranging tastes in music.

and there was just enough cowbell Cyanide Metal.I had to explain to my wife the cowbell tshirts some were wearing.She got a laugh out of it.

0 275
 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
(10-08-2014, 07:10 AM)urrlord Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 04:44 PM)wingdo Wrote:

I've had several people say that.lol.
I have wide ranging tastes in music.

and there was just enough cowbell Cyanide Metal.I had to explain to my wife the cowbell tshirts some were wearing.She got a laugh out of it.

LOL!!!!

9 1,203
 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
I'd never paid attention to "Don't Fear The Reaper" until the TV version of Stephen King's The Stand used it over the opening credits. Perfect match, and I've played it ever since. The same with "Burning For You."

29 1,776
 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM
User Info
You guys are gonna making me feel old, indeed. I can't do arena sized shows any more. But I saw BOC on the "Black and Blue Tour" with Black Sabbath in... 1980? Something like that. And Tull a couple times, probably "Songs From the Wood" tour and, a much lesser performamce, "Bursting Out" tour, Madison Square Garden. Also between 1977 and 1980 IIRC.

Now I go to places where I sit 15 feet from the band and can get a pint of beer in a glass. And can sit down. Old.

7 315
 10-08-2014, 01:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-08-2014, 11:34 AM)wagstaff Wrote: You guys are gonna making me feel old, indeed. I can't do arena sized shows any more. But I saw BOC on the "Black and Blue Tour" with Black Sabbath in... 1980? Something like that. And Tull a couple times, probably "Songs From the Wood" tour and, a much lesser performamce, "Bursting Out" tour, Madison Square Garden. Also between 1977 and 1980 IIRC.

Now I go to places where I sit 15 feet from the band and can get a pint of beer in a glass. And can sit down. Old.

I'm right there with you my friend.

178 23,809
 10-09-2014, 08:44 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Anderson was in the Atlanta Symphony Hall and we were on the balcony on a mid front corner so we had a good view of the stage.

BOC was at the Variety Playhouse which is a converted movie theater.The first quarter was standing room/pit.The center was the old theater seats and the wings were stackable lawn chairs.
We were about 2/3 of the way up on the left on the aisle.I had a good view of the stage but a hat wearing fellow who couldn't sit still almost drove the wife to screaming.

also I did have a pint,nice and cold !

0 275