10-08-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
I just got a brand new TI Dominator 7/8 in the mail today and noticed some black spots on the tail of the razor and a super tiny spot on the face of the blade. The razor does have black etched/print on the face of the blade so I'm not sure if its that or if I should worry that its rust?

The tiny black spots on the end of the tail feel kind of rough so I'm not sure if it is just a normal, manufacturing flaw or if its rust?

0 75
 10-08-2014, 06:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Black corrosion is much more involved timewise than your initial red oxidation. It sounds like some debri from the logo etching. A simple trick to remove tiny rust spots is to take a fine point pencil and gently etch the affected spot.
the graphite is enough to break up rust without harming steel.

2 3,171
 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
I cannot emphasize how important it is to thoroughly dry your razor after use, even though you may think your hands a dry the fact that you may hold the tail and put the razor away the residue and little moisture from your fingers will leave marks an create oxidization, also what's your storage like and where are you storing the razors?

11 1,945
 10-08-2014, 08:32 PM
User Info
I haven't even used the razor yet. I just got it in the mail this afternoon. It came oiled.

0 75
 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM
User Info
(10-08-2014, 08:32 PM)ShaveWares Wrote: I haven't even used the razor yet. I just got it in the mail this afternoon. It came oiled.

Send it back.

11 1,945
 10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
User Info
Also, another spot on the end of the spine! Ugh, you'd think a brand new, unused $400+ Thiers-Issard blade wouldn't have these little black spots! lol.

0 75
 10-09-2014, 10:12 AM
User Info
Just spoke with Steve at the invisible edge and he thinks its "some sort of leftover from the heat treatment." I'm going to try touching it up with some MAAS.

0 75
 10-18-2014, 05:45 AM
User Info
Yes MAAS works wonders. Those little spots are generally very easy to get rid of with some MAAS. It is important to keep a straight dry but they do call it wet shaving for a reason and water is inevitable. Once you are able to get rid of them you will feel better and won't obsess over water. I have heard of people taking a hair dryer to their striaght after every shave. Hey if that's what floats your boat but I know that if a "spot" develops I can take care of it no problem.

0 8
 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM
  • Chris24
  • New Zealand
User Info
That is no good but some MAAS or similar should work well.
Any chance of a photo of said spots?
As already said dry it properly after use and they will stay in good condition for years. I rinse mine under hot water, towel dry then use a piece of TP to clean in-between the scales and wipe the blade again. Followed up with 20 laps on the strop. Sounds like a lot but takes very little time.

0 276
 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 09:59 PM)Chris24 Wrote: That is no good but some MAAS or similar should work well.
Any chance of a photo of said spots?
As already said dry it properly after use and they will stay in good condition for years. I rinse mine under hot water, towel dry then use a piece of TP to clean in-between the scales and wipe the blade again. Followed up with 20 laps on the strop. Sounds like a lot bot takes very little time.

+1 Cleaning between the scales with tissue paper is a must.

32 5,296
 10-26-2014, 05:32 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Brand new, with spots? Send it back.

If there is any gold wash on the blade, avoid hitting it with the MAAS..

Post shave maintenance.. I dry with a towel, blow out the pivot and dry between the scales with some TP. Strop about five strokes on linen and leave it to air dry, slightly open. My storage draw has a big bag of Silica Gel as well. Probably overkill in the big schem of things..

33 914
 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
If it's shave ready(and I assume it is) watch your fingers while trying to polish it.

2 1,697