10-08-2014, 11:40 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
For the guys using a Dirty Bird brush scuttle, do you need to leave a bit of water in the scuttle cone to keep the brush's lather intact?

With a regular scuttle, I know some build their lather in the scuttle and this helps retain heat in the brush and prevents the brush's load from dissipating. Do I need to do something similar with this smaller scuttle?

Sorry for the noob question, but I've never used a scuttle before and I just ordered one from Julie.

2 286
 10-09-2014, 12:15 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I have one and I can say that your in for a treat! I love mine, especially in an Alberta winter.Wink
I like to fill the sink with hot tap water then the outer cup and then the cone. I found this is a good way to heat the pottery. I also soak the brush in the cone as I shower.
When its time to shave I drain both cup and cone, I refill the cup and leave the cone dry.
I have found that I keep a good lather that way. I have tried to leave a little water in the bottom of the cone, but found that it made the second pass to watery.
Experiment a little and find the way that works for you. YMMV after all.
Oh, and Pics Please!!!Biggrin

29 1,627
 10-09-2014, 02:07 AM
User Info
I use this scuttle and do not put/leave any water in the cone. And, congratulations on getting this from DB. Nice pottery; warm lather. Enjoy.

Ed

22 764
 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Thanks! Now to wait the four or five weeks before the package arrives. Smile

2 286
 11-23-2014, 04:13 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
It arrived several days ago and I've used it three or four times. It is a serious chunk of pottery and I didn't think it would be this big, based on the pictures I saw before I ordered.

Lather is kept nice and warm and the craftsmanship is first rate. No crazing on the glaze whatsoever. Am quite happy that I ordered this piece of kit.

[Image: QPTp320.jpg]

2 286
 11-23-2014, 09:44 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(11-23-2014, 04:13 AM)Karlo Wrote: It arrived several days ago and I've used it three or four times. It is a serious chunk of pottery and I didn't think it would be this big, based on the pictures I saw before I ordered.

Lather is kept nice and warm and the craftsmanship is first rate. No crazing on the glaze whatsoever. Am quite happy that I ordered this piece of kit.

Very nice, Karlo. May it give you years of good service.Biggrin

29 1,627
 11-25-2014, 11:02 PM
User Info
Great brush scuttle, Karlo :-)

I own this custom made brush scuttle from DB:

24 6,021
 11-27-2014, 10:41 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Very nice Claus! I would have ordered the regular (larger) DB scuttle but I don't have space on my sink for something of that size. I particularly like the glaze that Julie used for your scuttle. Subdued yet distinctive.

2 286