10-09-2014, 05:56 PM
User Info
Its that time of year. The weather is changing. For the guys up north it's already on your doorstep. We need something hardy that sticks to your ribs and warms your bones. Tell us what your fall favorites are. Here's mine:

Beef stew
Soup, My favorite is Thai chicken noodle
Chili

0 1,007
 10-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Beef Stew
Chili
Soup (chicken noodle or, preferably, knaydlach [matzo ball] or kreplach [Jewish ravioli, for lack of a better description])
pot roast

but especially bone-in short ribs! Biggrin

2 11,211
 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
Oo, I love ravioli. Cheese or meat? Ha, both.

Short rib braise is on my todo list.

0 1,007
 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
fruit cobblers in Oregon.

73 1,295
 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(10-09-2014, 06:35 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Oo, I love ravioli. Cheese or meat? Ha, both.

Aaron, I find kreplach a bit hardier but if you like ravioli then you might very well like kreplach. They are usually served in soup, most likely chicken soup.

As for short ribs, for me they have to be on the bone. Boneless short ribs just aren't as good, in my opinion.

2 11,211
 10-09-2014, 06:59 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(10-09-2014, 06:53 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: fruit cobblers in Oregon.

Dave, what a great autumn dessert. Smile

2 11,211
 10-09-2014, 07:25 PM
User Info
Well, in Maine it's time for apples so apple crisp and pies are on the menu. I fact we just finished an apple crisp just the other day from apples that came off of a friends tree.

Autumn and winter foods tend to mix. More soups and stews, chili, bone in short rubs are my absolute all time favorite hot cherry smoked on the Primo. I can OD on them.

Too, since the cold weather is here it's time to cold smoke some cheeses, or it will be in a few months. It's much easier when it's a bit colder. I like apple smoke on my cheese. I have 15# or so in the freezer just waiting for the proper weather. Then there is cold smoked spam. Believe it or not it is really god cold smoked with maple or apple.

Smoked brisket is done any time of the year, but I have more time for it in fall and winter. I have a few in the freezer; again, just waiting for the moment.

And perogies... it's a 3 person job and requires a hot stove top, so it waits for cooler weather. Too, it requires making the cheese since we can't buy it except at holidays, and that's more stove top work.

Bread making also comes to the fore. Lately I've been making the no knead bread, but I'll find the time to make kneaded breads in the fall/winter from home ground (real) whole wheat. The no knead bread is good, but even that can't come close to freshly ground whole wheat yeast bread.

32 6,458
 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
Brian, please show me some clam chowder pictures. I want to see fishnets and starfish with barnacles and ship steering wheels with seagulls and yellow raincoats.

(10-09-2014, 06:56 PM)freddy Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 06:35 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Oo, I love ravioli. Cheese or meat? Ha, both.

Aaron, I find kreplach a bit hardier but if you like ravioli then you might very well like kreplach. They are usually served in soup, most likely chicken soup.

As for short ribs, for me they have to be on the bone. Boneless short ribs just aren't as good, in my opinion.

Freddie, I've never heard of kreplach. It sounds very Klingon. If it's Klingon Then I know it's hardy. Biggrin

0 1,007
 10-09-2014, 09:13 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm vegan, but enjoy roasted root vegetables (carrots, onions, parsnips, potatoes, beets, kohlrabi), pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, and my wife made a terrific coconut and lime bunt cake this evening. Also, pumpkin soup, baked and served in the pumpkin. Almost anything with apples, spiced cider, homemade applesauce, and baked apples.

[Image: spJBHJ1.jpg]

38 5,106
 10-10-2014, 04:01 AM
User Info
Chili (with beans) and Lasagna for sure.
I plan to make more soups/stews this year.
Smoked turkey
Smoked pot roasts

And while I don't hunt anymore, I would add venison and duck if I could.

31 1,800
 10-10-2014, 04:50 AM
User Info
When I think of crisp fall football weather, I think of bratwursts and sauerkraut. I got a good way to make the kraut more interesting from a Tabasco brochure: add tart apple, plus a little brown sugar, cider vinegar, and Tabasco.

8 915
 10-10-2014, 06:31 AM
User Info
Good 'ol Ham and Beans with some cornbread! I could eat that every single day when it's cool outside! My wife isn't so thrilled with the after effects though Blush

21 555
 10-10-2014, 07:14 AM
User Info
Aaron, how about a rotating bridge ?

I know I took a still, but I can't find it.

Dang, you'll just have to be satisfied with this. I didn't take it.

Despite what's being said in the video, the first "key" in the hole and rotation is to get the bridge unlocked and off of wedges that level the bridge. The second time the "key" ( the big handle) is inserted, that's what makes the rotation. It's the last manually operated rotating bridge in the US. From where those folks are standing taking the video, not more than 3 weeks ago we had lunch 30' to their right. The lobster roll was delicious and we saw the bridge in operation one more time. Big boats can't get through there, just lobster boats and such. BTW, the current seen in the water is the tide going out. Too, I mentioned big boats... approx' on a 45° angle to the left of that view is a gorgeous 140'- 160' modern tall ship moored ( I forget what the old gent told me). It can be seen on the Google Earth satellite view. It can also be seen if one is standing there.

Let me find it for you.
>>>>>>>>>>click here<<<<<<<<<<<<

When the map comes up click on satellite view (lower right). Then zoom in the map. OK, Google got the location wrong (for what I did a search for) they're on the wrong side of the bridge. You'll see the bridge, and the location the video was taken from was the east side of the bridge. The tall ship is as I wrote, pretty much on a 45° angle to the lower left of the satellite view (SW), just across some water. Zoom out to find the mooring, then zoom in and the boat can be seen. Just gorgeous. Nice area too. The coastal Maine Botanical Gardens are a stones throw from the where we ate, and yes, you can find them by zooming out (look for the text), then zoom in on it. It's probably a bit to the east from the tall ship.

32 6,458
 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(10-09-2014, 08:55 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Brian, please show me some clam chowder pictures. I want to see fishnets and starfish with barnacles and ship steering wheels with seagulls and yellow raincoats.

(10-09-2014, 06:56 PM)freddy Wrote:

Freddie, I've never heard of kreplach. It sounds very Klingon. If it's Klingon Then I know it's hardy. Biggrin

Here ya go, Aaron: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreplach. I think you might like them if you ever get the chance to give them a try.

As for knaydlach (matzo balls), these dumplings are great in chicken soup or as a side to a main dish of beef or chicken. They are very easy to make but I get the box of Manischewitz matzo ball mix (not the one with chicken soup). The directions are just about foolproof and they don't take long to make. Streit's is another brand to look out for.

2 11,211
 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
Ah yes, Kreplach. It looks very tasty. Its little dumplings.

Brian, that video was funny. The guy says, "all this for just one boat?" He must be from Utah. Beautiful area...lots and lots of water. Send me some airline tickets and I'll even let you pick us up at the airport. Did I mention that we will be staying with you for a few weeks? Just until the weather gets cooler here in Texas.

I'll bring a pot of my favorite stew...a perfect fall food...Carne Guisada.

0 1,007
 10-11-2014, 05:20 AM
User Info
Biggrin

"Just one boat" ...

While we were there a boat came in, then 15-20 minutes later the same boat went back out. Maybe the captain forgot his sandwich or forgot to kiss his wife goodbye. The sick humor in me couldn't help but picture someone playing with the bridge operator. The same boat going back and forth a number of times. Just going through then waiting for the bridge to close for traffic then going through yet again.

The first time the bridge rotated we were standing approx' where the video was shot and were talking to an older gent who was an island resident. He told how when he was a child the operator would hire him and other kids to operate the bridge. He'd pay them $.10 which they would immediately take to the General Store (where we bought our sandwiches) and they'd buy candy.

Somewhat like Caribbean Islanders time flows differently on the Maine coast and on its islands.

Too, the satellite view shows why Maine has as much coastline as the rest of the CONUS combined. It's not a straight line coast at all. Which brings up the often heard phrase here in Maine "Ya can't get theya from heya.". One can be 100 yards from "there", but to get there one might need to travel 100 miles by land to get there.

32 6,458
 10-11-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
(10-09-2014, 09:13 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm vegan, but enjoy roasted root vegetables (carrots, onions, parsnips, potatoes, beets, kohlrabi), pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, and my wife made a terrific coconut and lime bunt cake this evening. Also, pumpkin soup, baked and served in the pumpkin. Almost anything with apples, spiced cider, homemade applesauce, and baked apples.

we certainly have access to some great fruits and veggies here. my wife and I love trips to hood river mostly for the produce stands. isn't there a mountain around there?

73 1,295
 10-15-2014, 10:37 PM
User Info
(10-09-2014, 09:13 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm vegan, but enjoy roasted root vegetables (carrots, onions, parsnips, potatoes, beets, kohlrabi), pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, and my wife made a terrific coconut and lime bunt cake this evening. Also, pumpkin soup, baked and served in the pumpkin. Almost anything with apples, spiced cider, homemade applesauce, and baked apples.

those look great!

my wife makes most of what you listed, except neither of us are huge fans of beets and I'm not big on kohlrabi.

40 5,830
 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM
User Info
Andrew, have you ever had Harvard beets? There is a beet pickle that I make that will definitely change your mind about beets. They're so good I eat them as a snack when I watch a movie. They're like spicy/sweet candy. Really. I mentioned that to the person who gave me the recipe and she told me she does the same thing. Beets as a sweet snack; I never would have thought that as a child. I hated beets. I just thought they tasted like dirt.

32 6,458
 10-16-2014, 09:11 PM
User Info
(10-16-2014, 01:13 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Andrew, have you ever had Harvard beets? There is a beet pickle that I make that will definitely change your mind about beets. They're so good I eat them as a snack when I watch a movie. They're like spicy/sweet candy. Really. I mentioned that to the person who gave me the recipe and she told me she does the same thing. Beets as a sweet snack; I never would have thought that as a child. I hated beets. I just thought they tasted like dirt.

I don't think so, no.

I'm also not a fan of pickled food if that's what you mean by 'beet pickle'. Tongue

40 5,830