05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230363.jpg]

This shaving brush is a "Somerset" era one,and was a pleasure was to use it!

The Harvard Simpson series is another mythical one,maybe a little bit "eclipse" by the Persian Jar or the Polo series,but pretty well appreciated it by Simpson brushes lovers.

[Image: P1230366.jpg]

This particular brush has best badger hair,and gentlemen,what a SUPERB best badger hair type is!Simply one of the best I have tried,period.

The measures of this brush are (approximately) :
  • 20mm knot
  • 47mm loft
  • 99mm total height
which makes it a medium size brush,maybe on the small side.

[Image: P1230367.jpg]

The handle is a super classic,like the Persian Jar series,and copied by other brands too,since its truly a beautiful handle.As the handles made by Vulfix/Simpson,this one is also well finish and I would say than kind of heavier,more maybe than some actual ones.

Its not as ergonomic as the "Fifty" series handles,but close enough to be one of the tops,regarding that.

[Image: P1230368.jpg]

Its hair density is quiet nice,not on the overly packed side,but the right amount of best badger hair.

I find this best badger hair a little bit less thicker than the actual one,but boy,this one is so luxurious,keeping an excellent amount of backbone,while its tips are velvety soft,not a single sign of scratchiness.Seriously,this is a superior type of silvertip badger hair on my book.

Making lather on the face with this brush was such a pleasure,specially using circular movements,and its not a lather hog,something that I also appreciate.Worker excellent with both shaving creams and hard shaving soaps.

[Image: P1230456.jpg]

What else can I say? Oh yes,this is a SUPERB brush!

86 7,123
 05-25-2012, 06:52 PM
User Info
That is a beautiful brush.

2 694
 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's one I never paid much attention to. Thanks for the nice review Teiste.

173 23,291
 05-26-2012, 02:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't own a Harvard brush, but the handle is IMO more refined than the Persian Jar. And Teiste, I wish I owned that one!

That particular brush you have has an extra detail to the base, for want of a better term: "a maker's mark", congratulations on owning such a wonderful brush. The "Best" hair from years gone by was truly a superior grade of hair.

91 17,618
 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Nice brush! The Harvard is a brush tempting me very much, but so far I didn't pull the trigger. One of the reasons was, that there were almost no reviews available. Now I'm much more inclined to buy one…

0 229
 05-26-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
Nice review, Teiste!

74 20,794