10-10-2014, 07:36 AM
User Info
Unfortunately, through a combination of severe demand and never enough skilled labor supply (a 10-yr apprenticeship to learn the fine art of holding a razor blank to a grinding wheel/strop without burning or chipping it just doesn't have the appeal to a 20-yr-old German kid it did pre-internet), Dovo's lead times for orders for straight razors had ballooned to 2 to 3 years in 2014. A little over 5yrs ago when we started as a reseller, the times were 6 months for common stuff and up to 9 months for the exotics.

Dovo's therefore made the commercial decision to do whatever they can to keep up with the demand, and squelch the lead times to never more than one year.

The primary way that they can accomplish this 1-yr limit is by limiting what can be ordered, of course.

But beyond that, they will also be greatly pairing down their selection, eliminating exotic grinds or materials. I will be surprised if we ever see a square or Spanish point Dovo again, though I remain hopeful that we will.

In 2014, there were officially 38 models. 2015 will begin with 9 assured, and then hopefully - vain hope, almost certainly, but that's better than nothing - much more selection later. A crushing blow for us personally, the customized model for which we invested a personal trip to Solingen at our expense to help design is, like all custom work, now a non-starter.

Hollow grinding a razor's an extremely difficult task, but I hope that the dearth in capacity helps forge an era of 1-or-2-person shops of str8rzr production, such as what flourished in the "Golden Age" of their production (~post-Civil War to pre-Titanic).

[Image: screenshot1.jpg][Image: screenshot2.jpg]

0 72
 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM
User Info
An insiders view to an interesting topic. I have read blurbs about this on the various forums as to your Twitter? or other social media post. I believe a leaner selection of models that are high quality is a good business model. Men's grooming is a multi billion dollar industry and I hope that Dovo finds the craftsmen talent to capture their fair share. Thanks for sharing.

19 775
 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
Wow! That is very interesting! I guess it would be a great time to learn a new trade as a person would be in great demand! Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM
User Info
Celestino, 2 fields I can assure you are ripe for good wages forever if you want 'em; HVAC repair and hollow grinding.

0 72
 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
I bet Revisor will have a very large smile on their face reading that.

11 1,921
 10-11-2014, 10:39 PM
User Info
Good thing I wasn't planning on selling Dovo razors on my website.

0 75
 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM
User Info
(10-10-2014, 07:57 AM)kwigibocity Wrote: Celestino, 2 fields I can assure you are ripe for good wages forever if you want 'em; HVAC repair and hollow grinding.

Hmmmm. I wonder if it is time for a career change! Grinding steel seems enticing! Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-28-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
Thanks so much for posting this, TSS. I am a big fan of Dovos (as you know) and really appreciate reading about the status of their current production schedule in a recent release directly from the manufacturer's administration themselves. While it is regrettable that their variety will at least for now be drastically reduced, this is probably a very wise decision on their part.

Best regards,
Joe

2 54
 10-28-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
(10-11-2014, 10:39 PM)ShaveWares Wrote: Good thing I wasn't planning on selling Dovo razors on my website.

Not an option since late 2012 no matter what one's plans, & even to those who had the option still had the matter of the queue for 1.75-3 yrs to receive what's ordered.

Everything drastically throttled back, but at least there is predictability now.

Miss our custom piece, and lament not keeping one of the 2nd edition (my piece from batch #1 has the conventional pins, not the cooler flush non-pivot pin).

0 72
 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 12:43 PM)kwigibocity Wrote:
(10-11-2014, 10:39 PM)ShaveWares Wrote: Good thing I wasn't planning on selling Dovo razors on my website.

Not an option since late 2012 no matter what one's plans, & even to those who had the option still had the matter of the queue for 1.75-3 yrs to receive what's ordered.

Everything drastically throttled back, but at least there is predictability now.

Miss our custom piece, and lament not keeping one of the 2nd edition (my piece from batch #1 has the conventional pins, not the cooler flush non-pivot pin).

The Palisander is still in high demand! I missed out on one with the flush-mounted wedge pin on the B/S/T a few weeks ago by 5 minutes. It sold in about ten. Only $110, too. Mad

2 54
 10-28-2014, 01:43 PM
User Info
not permitted to snag from there but keeping keen eye on eBay. 480 flush-mounted #122s out there circulating, so they're bound to show up sooner or later (& with "only" 480 out there, whoever sold one for $110 was being awfully kind...it will undoubtedly appreciate). I'll pay what it costs!

0 72
 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 01:43 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: not permitted to snag from there but keeping keen eye on eBay. 480 flush-mounted #122s out there circulating, so they're bound to show up sooner or later (& with "only" 480 out there, whoever sold one for $110 was being awfully kind...it will undoubtedly appreciate). I'll pay what it costs!

I saw this Bismarck on the BST this morning and bought it instead. It is older and has some wear on it, but it's essentially the same as the Palisander but has the Bismarck etching on the blade. Alot cheaper, too:

FS: Bismarck (non-fancy edition)- $70

Edit: is it true they're discontinuing all stainless steel (inox) models?

See: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost6729286

2 54
 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
User Info
No, not ALL stainless are dead,...but most are. #4158*5s are alive for sure(the "*" changes for ebony wood, olivewood, horn, or faux MOP handle), but the rest are either killed off or in purgatory(would be made if time, but don't bet on it, & to order is to commit to quantity for something with no guarantee of production). Sad to see the "master's" is probably done, that was a nice razor.

0 72
 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 04:08 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: No, not ALL stainless are dead,...but most are. #4158*5s are alive for sure(the "*" changes for ebony wood, olivewood, horn, or faux MOP handle), but the rest are either killed off or in purgatory(would be made if time, but don't bet on it, & to order is to commit to quantity for something with no guarantee of production). Sad to see the "master's" is probably done, that was a nice razor.

Do you think the "All Stainless" SS scales one (4155846) that we have discussed in another thread is out, too? I have an "extra" satin/matte steel one I was considering on selling, but now I think maybe I should hang onto it. Thanks for your input.

2 54
 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM
User Info
I do suspect 415's unlikely to actually be produced, but they may change their mind on that one. It wasn't on the ok to order list, whereas #41s were. They're still hashing out their minds to what will still be on their price list next yr; they don't like to lie to themselves & need to be realistic about what can actually get done. There's a hand-ground cuticle scissor we sometimes have waited 18 months to get!

Perhaps because the design of all the other 41s have the same face they can produce with more economies of scale time-wise.

I suspect 415 will appreciate, especially the ones with the blade being high-polished mirrored blade or the intermediate ones with some blue to the motif of the writing on the blade.

0 72
 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 05:58 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: ...Perhaps because the design of all the other 41s have the same face they can produce with more economies of scale time-wise.

I suspect 415 will appreciate, especially the ones with the blade being high-polished mirrored blade or the intermediate ones with some blue to the motif of the writing on the blade.

I am sure you are correct. All the ones with the "DOVO - INOX / TIEFGEKUHLT - ROSTFREI" etching have that same common gold-wash, width, and round point, and thus can be easily used for a variety of their current models. From what I have observed, the ones with the Solingen Coat of Arms motif are specific only to those two models (the 4155845 and 4155846), and the first was apparently discontinued several years ago. Thanks again! Smile

2 54
 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-28-2014, 01:43 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: not permitted to snag from there but keeping keen eye on eBay. 480 flush-mounted #122s out there circulating, so they're bound to show up sooner or later (& with "only" 480 out there, whoever sold one for $110 was being awfully kind...it will undoubtedly appreciate). I'll pay what it costs!

You can buy and sell for personal use on our B/S/T. You just cannot conduct vendor business there.

175 23,752