10-10-2014, 11:55 AM
User Info
Now this I find hard to believe, for some reason. A lock pick set for sale on Massdrop - and over 400 of them have sold.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/southord-lock-pick-set

207 12,264
 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
Must be a lot of locksmiths out there.

32 6,459
 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-10-2014, 12:10 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Must be a lot of locksmiths out there.

Let's go with that. Biggrin

26 4,928
 10-11-2014, 08:26 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
There are also groups of people who play with locks as a hobby.I think one of these hobbyist groups discovered the "bump key technique".Which was then picked up by the criminal types.At least IIRC that was the subject and conclusion of an investigative report several years ago.

0 275
 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM
  • Harvid
  • London ON, Canada
User Info
(10-11-2014, 08:26 AM)urrlord Wrote: There are also groups of people who play with locks as a hobby.I think one of these hobbyist groups discovered the "bump key technique".Which was then picked up by the criminal types.At least IIRC that was the subject and conclusion of an investigative report several years ago.
People obsessed with locks? That sounds crazy. Why would you be obsessed with locks? Anyway, time to get back to things more worthwhile like reading about shaving for the next few hours

1 29
 10-12-2014, 09:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use to be obsessed with railroad locks. At one time I had over 100 different types of railroad locks from about 20 different railroads. Most all of the locks had keys. I sold my collection about 8-years ago to a railroad fanatic for a handsome sum of money. Biggrin

178 23,809
 10-12-2014, 11:31 PM
User Info
I'm one of those sad types that picks locks as a "now and again" hobby. Originally it was going to be a all back trade in these uncertain times but having bought a few bits and pieces it is now more of a hobby to waste an hour or two

Can't really explain the appeal but it's definetly a skill, (well picking is, not using bump keys) that has to be practiced and there is something I enjoy in understanding how these highly engineered locks work and then bypassing them with bent bits of metal

Just another big kid thing, especially if you like gadgets and interesting tools that you can't (officially) buy over the counter.

Oh, and once you are registered you can buy locks and tools at trade prices which is quite a eye opener

0 85
 10-13-2014, 03:12 AM
User Info
seems quite popular - and sell as advanced puzzles

[Image: aOcadK9.jpg]

[Image: VlA03Ml.jpg]

[Image: QJHHVrj.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-13-2014, 08:20 PM
User Info
It definitely is a skill! Smile

83 21,077
 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM
User Info
(10-12-2014, 11:31 PM)Jpshaver Wrote: I'm one of those sad types that picks locks as a "now and again" hobby. Originally it was going to be a all back trade in these uncertain times but having bought a few bits and pieces it is now more of a hobby to waste an hour or two

Can't really explain the appeal but it's definetly a skill, (well picking is, not using bump keys) that has to be practiced and there is something I enjoy in understanding how these highly engineered locks work and then bypassing them with bent bits of metal

Just another big kid thing, especially if you like gadgets and interesting tools that you can't (officially) buy over the counter.

Oh, and once you are registered you can buy locks and tools at trade prices which is quite a eye opener

JPS', I've seen what appear to be some sort of "motorized" lock picker. Have you ever used them and how do they work? I'm just curious, not planning a career in B&E .

32 6,459
 10-13-2014, 09:16 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Why mess around with a pick lock? Just use a shotty and blast your way in Smile

0 1,771
 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM
User Info
 10-13-2014, 10:24 PM
User Info
Kind of a fun skill to learn. I didn't get as far as Jpshaver, but sounds like the motivations were pretty similar.

15 145
 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
As a retired locksmith, I can tell you that there are many out there that work with locks as a hobby and some are quite skilled at opening various types of locks. And there are electric (battery) powered picks that work well on common type locks.

However, please be aware of local laws/regulations concerning the use of these tools. In Louisiana, where I live, unless you are a state licensed locksmith you can be charged with a felony if caught with locksmithing tools. And picks are considered tools.

Just thought y'all might like to know.

4 952
 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM
User Info
(10-13-2014, 09:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(10-12-2014, 11:31 PM)Jpshaver Wrote: I'm one of those sad types that picks locks as a "now and again" hobby. Originally it was going to be a all back trade in these uncertain times but having bought a few bits and pieces it is now more of a hobby to waste an hour or two

JPS', I've seen what appear to be some sort of "motorized" lock picker. Have you ever used them and how do they work? I'm just curious, not planning a career in B&E .

These are pick guns. Some are manual and work under spring tension (in one burst) whilst others are battery. They work by vibrating the lock pins very quickly whilst a tension bar applies a small amount of pressure. The idea is that the pins with "catch" above the sheer line while bouncing up and down allowing the barrel to turn. As with all picking, it is the tension applied that is the real secret. Too much and the pins won't move, too little an they just fall back into place. When tension is spot on an due to the inaccuracies of the manufacturing process, the pins stick above the sheer line. It doesn't work like it looks in the movies that's for sure, and some locks just won't pick whatever you throw at it. That's when the drill comes out

0 85
 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM
User Info
I've always had an interest in wanting to learn to pick locks. I have picked a few laptop locks over the years (mind you I'm in the IT profession so it wasn't totally wasted time!).

I never did buy a pick set or spend too much time learning the craft though. maybe someday...

40 5,830
 10-24-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Had a locksmith in HI try and pick my house lock so I could get my car keys. Says he has to drill the lock, but left his pick tools out. Before he is back, I have my car keys and happily pay just the call fee.

0 29
 10-25-2014, 11:08 PM
User Info
Thanks JPS. My curiosity has been satisfied.

32 6,459