10-11-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
I have now tested my 2 Plisson Synthetics, the Silvergrey and the faux horn.

I'm a face latherer. Own and use 82 creams and 38 soaps, which I rotate between, mostly superlathering one of each

Beautiful handles on all my Plissons - and they DO create ample amounts of lather very fast. Just not quite as fast as my Mühle STF v2 23mm and 25mm, but the Plisson lack the springiness of the Mühle STF v2's, which is a good thing.

But what the Plisson have too much of for my taste is splay and to little backbone. It feels floppy at first, until you have created the lather, then you can just paint with.

But for a face latherer like me, I feel the Plisson bends too easily when I try to face lather my cream/soap - it lacks backbone. I can still build a fine lather with it, but I miss my badgers when i use the Plisson on travels.

Next up is ordering an Edwin Jagger XL Synthetic in faux horn and see if this will becaome my favorite travel brush.........

Not sure I'm keeping my Plissons.......

What do you face lathering guys say ?

24 6,019
 10-11-2014, 04:33 PM
User Info
Exclusive face latherer here. The Plisson synthetic is about the only brush I use anymore. Could be due to my girly face sensitivities though. Winky

31 8,058
 10-11-2014, 05:00 PM
User Info
If you like the way the Plisson lathers and feels on your face but want more backbone, try The Grooming Co. brush. Its smaller profile will make a good travel brush, too.

29 1,776
 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I'm a face latherer as well and I have not warmed up to the Plisson synthetic for the exact reasons Claus mentions. It's nice....better with creams than soaps....but it just can't compete with a Simpson CH2 or Thater 4125 for face lathering.

169 1,424
 10-11-2014, 05:37 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
You definitely need to try the GroCo. It's everything you are missing in the Plisson. I have both and I do find that the Plisson is a little floppy when face lathering. Like you said, it still works, and if I used it exclusively, I'd probably be good at face lathering with it. The GroCo is a shorter loft, denser knot and that provides the backbone that you are looking for, and that same wonderful fibre that is used in the Plisson. It's truly a joy to use.

And I think Phil has them on 10% off right now...

18 1,186
 10-11-2014, 08:44 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-11-2014, 05:37 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: You definitely need to try the GroCo. It's everything you are missing in the Plisson.

+1

34 1,627
 10-12-2014, 02:12 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I bought the Plisson sold by Cade and found that although it is very good at creating a lather when face lathering it just feels like it lacks something. I believe it is backbone that I miss. OTH it would be an excellent brush, I think, for somebody who has sensitive skin and just can't stand to have a brush worked too hard against their skin.

I even found then Muhle STF XL V2 to be on the floppy side for face lathering. Had the knot reset in a new handle to a loft of 54mm and just love it now. Love the Simpsons Chubby2 synthetic with the 50mm loft also. Both require you work the brush fairly hard against your face to do circular strokes the feel of which i like but seem to be in the minority on that. Neither of those brushes are scratchy either.

Going to keep the Plisson for days when I want to feel like I am face lathering with a cloud of nothing.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-12-2014, 03:51 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I face lather exclusively and use a Muhle STF V2 23mm when I travel. The Muhle is the only synthetic brush I have. It took me a few shaves to figure out how to use the Muhle, but now that I've my technique down I quite like the brush. I use much more pressure when I lather with the Muhle than I'd dare use with my badgers, boars and horse, but it doesn't seem to have done any damage. I've found the Muhle good at lathering the soap stick I take when I travel, but it works equally well with creams. The major benefit of using the Muhle when I travel is how quickly it dries, even in its travel tube. I like the brush very much, but it's not like my badgers, but then I didn't buy it expecting it to be badger-like.

7 934
 10-12-2014, 04:14 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Good question, Claus. I face lather exclusively, and I own the Plisson as well as the Muhle 23 and 25 mm STF v 2.0 brushes (just got the 25mm last week). The Muhle are more "badger like" to me, while the Plisson is more similar to my gel-tipped badger (and Savile Row silver tip).

The big difference I've noticed is going up a size to the 25mm Muhle. Wow that's a really different brush than the 23mm altogether. It acts more like my badger Plisson size 12. It has more backbone and while not scritchy, it's very similar to face feel to the badger. And you're correct too that the Plisson synth develops nicely for face painting strokes-the 25mm Muhle does not.

These synths have really altered my course on brushes and I'm very glad that I've paid attention the our site to learn more about them. The quick drying feature is very attractive for those of us that travel too. Maybe in a few more years there will be another substantive step forward in brush technology we can only dream about!

19 753
 10-12-2014, 05:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have 5 Plisson synthetics and almost always only face lather with them. I often use them when I'm in a rush as the whip up lather in no time. The fact that they splay is the reason I enjoy them so much. I sold my Omega and Muhle synthetics due to their unnatural spring and rigidity. To me the Plisson feels more "natural" than the other synthetics I've tried...

99 18,011
 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
(10-11-2014, 05:00 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: If you like the way the Plisson lathers and feels on your face but want more backbone, try The Grooming Co. brush. Its smaller profile will make a good travel brush, too.

Thanks, but that small handle is totally NO GO for me !

24 6,019
 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM
User Info
Yep, there is that. It certainly put me off at first but I got used to it. There's always a custom handle in the meanwhile.

29 1,776
 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I never thought I would like the plisson synthetic but I now absolutely love it. I face larger 95% of the time. I love it so much I sold my Muhle synthetic . I won't ever be without it.

50 547
 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Carmine! It is a great brush.

83 21,112
 10-14-2014, 03:28 PM
User Info
Yes, I have to agree with CHSeifert. I have the Plisson pour l'Occitane version. It is definitely not as satisfying to use as a badger brush. The lather is good but noticeably different from what I am used to. It is a curiosity in my brush stable, but something I will use selectively at this point.

1 255
 10-18-2014, 01:29 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have been using my l'Occitane version for several months and I agree with those who find it has insufficient backbone. It works okay for bowl lathering shaving creams and painting the lather on. I use synthetics exclusively and I prefer all my other synthetics to the Plisson. But to those for whom it works, enjoy. Wink

19 566