05-26-2012, 02:08 AM
User Info
I have been travelling this week, and as such away from my supplies. The stuff in my GoBag does cover the basics - even if my experimental replacement of the Proraso cream with the Rise Shave Gel will have to be reversed - it fails to provide me with one thing I have come to enjoy:

Shaving is not just about getting the fuzz of my face no more. It is at least partly about staring into my shave nook, picking out what razor(s) I would like to use on any given day, then what soap I would prefer given my mood. The choice of soap gives me input on what brush to employ... and when all is over I get to pick what post shave treatment I want to pamper myself with.

On the road those choices are reduced to what I packed before leaving - and while I still get the fuzz of my face, I don't get the full shave experience.

Such is life, I guess, at least while weight restrictions apply on flights.

3 3,438
 05-26-2012, 03:47 AM
User Info
Just develop an incurable fear of flying & then build a mobile Nook. Drive it wherever you need. Tongue

I, too, am finding that I really enjoy the ritual of choice each day. Then there are the different nuances of shaving that pop into your head and you device a test t figure out what's happening, or why it's happening, or how to make it happen more often, or how toake it never happen again even.

31 7,892
 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I, too, love the part of setting up the shave. I actually get everything ready the night before. When I get up in the morning, I am always pleasantly surprised at my choices from the night before.

2 11,211
 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
I was just on the road for 7 weeks and I packed two extra dopp kits because of this very problem. I felt kind of bad about the whole affair because I'm a pretty basic creature and it seemed a little excessive. My travel kit was two bags and a ruck but it included:
3 AS
3 DE's
25 blades
4 straights
2 strops
3 soaps
3 creams
Norton 4k/8k
DMT 600/1200
1 Tweezerman brush
1 VDH boar brush

I even managed to find a '66 slim and NOS OS mug with soap for $18.

0 41
 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
I could easily take just one razor and be happy. If I do this to my Travel Tech... That is, remove the boring to tears, mild Tech head (seen below the kit) and replace it with a vintage Gillette New (seen in place) or an Old head. The old blade wrapper with tally marks keeps track of the shaves on the blade that is in use for me.

[Image: DSC03651.jpg]

I suppose any good quality soap would work for me, and I always finish up with either my bay rum or menthol depending on the weather. Or I could use witch hazel. The brush would be the boring part for me. I like a different brush every day. But I'd probably take my smallest Simpson in a pill bottle and call it good. Or just take a cream and use it by hand "lathering" it.

I'd get by, but I probably wouldn't like it either. But I'd definitely be clean shaven and feeling great because of it.

Where are you WW? In Norway or out of country?

32 6,301
 05-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
IMHO, choice is a large part of what this is all about.

44 1,327
 05-26-2012, 11:48 PM
User Info
I like your little shave kit there Brian, and interesting selection of reading material Wink

I'm home again now - was one of those "grab your GoBag and get going" deals.. wasn't even sure when I left for how long I would be away.

But it did surprise me how much I missed being able to pick and choose - even if I got pretty good shaves Biggrin

3 3,438