05-26-2012, 05:37 AM
User Info
I just watched this video of the founder of eShave speaking about shaving. I may be quite a noob to traditional wet shaving, but some of the things she says in this video don't seem right to me.

She claims that:

If a shaving brush doesn't use badger hair, it's not a shaving brush.
Boar hair brushes are absolutely to be avoided and that they irritate skin.
Badger hair is the only type of hair that retains water. Every other animal hair repels water.
Badgers aren't harmed when their hair is taken from them.

What do you guys think? Just curious to see what you have to say about this.

0 214
 05-26-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
Wow, she did a great job of turning me off to her brand. Such a myopic and arrogant view regarding aspects of shaving which are very personal is primarily self-serving and not in the best interest of the shaver as she tries to state. She obviously has a passion & strong belief in the materials she uses but her view on "lesser" products is ignorant & ridiculous. A little bit of knowledge can be very dangerous & I caught just enough truth in what she said to make the bull sound believable. While the products may be top notch, I doubt I'll be sending any money her way.

Thanks for sharing the link to the videos. They were quite eye opening.

31 7,914
 05-26-2012, 06:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-26-2012, 05:37 AM)Pnume Wrote: I just watched this video of the founder of eShave speaking about shaving. I may be quite a noob to traditional wet shaving, but some of the things she says in this video don't seem right to me.

She claims that:

Badger hair is the only type of hair that retains water. Every other animal hair repels water.

I did not watch the video after reading the above. If that's what she says in the video, then she does not know what she is talking about. I would sure like to see her give that live, unharmed badger a haircut. Wonder if she even knows what a badger looks like.

173 23,538
 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
I agree completely. I was curious about her product line but now I won't pull the trigger on pure principle.

0 41
 05-26-2012, 06:38 AM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 05:37 AM)Pnume Wrote: I just watched this video of the founder of eShave speaking about shaving. I may be quite a noob to traditional wet shaving, but some of the things she says in this video don't seem right to me.

She claims that:

There are a lot of different opinions on shaving... Ms. Malka is giving you hers; I can assure you that many shavers disagree with her opinions, especially regarding boar brushes. The Omega shaving brush company sells hundreds of thousands of boar brushes a year, if they didn't work, they wouldn't be around for decades.

If you want to test whether boar repels water... weight the brush on a postal scale dry... soak it for 5 minutes, let the excess water drain and weight it again.

I thought her body-language was interesting when asked about badgers being harmed... notice how she touches her hair...

Her eShave creams are a good product; on the positive side... she seems very passionate about her business and about getting a great shave.

3 315
 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Okay, I watched some of the videos. She admits, badgers are killed for their hair, skin, and meat. But, what she may not know is how that happens. You don't shoot them like you would a deer, you first catch them in a trap, think small bear trap, then you shoot them or club them in the head. Somewhere in the process there is harm to the badger.

The title shaving expert needs to be removed, IMHO.

173 23,538
 05-26-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
Well if the badger is dead then I guess you could argue that removing its hair isn't harming it. Can't do more harm than dead, for a badger anyway.

31 7,914
 05-26-2012, 08:22 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Actually i believe she is right about the hair repelling water, its just irrelavent as the psace between the hairs hold water just fine, badger hair itself absorbes water as well as holds it between the hairs,.. thats why boars are much easier to clean and sanitize,.. but when it comes down to it all that matters is a persons enjoyment of their products and i often switch between the two depending on how i feel and what i am using, I think I read somewhere that they pull their hair from a place that doesnt kill badgers, though that is certainly not true of badger hair in general as they are considered pests in china and are killed by the hundreds not just for the hair but because they are unwanted,.. but i forget where i read that about the hair and I am not at a place where i can look, when i get home ill see if i can find the artical though

Ooops obviously not eshave with regards to the badger killing, now i wonder who i read that about, man thats going to take forever to find that artical

3 748
 05-26-2012, 08:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would like to get her in a room with an old Italian barber and have a debate. Now that would be entertainment.

173 23,538
 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
I think what she is trying to say with 'badgers not being harmed' is that badgers are not experiencing some kind of abuse / bad treatment, instead they are instantly killed.. If that makes sense Smile

She sounds so 'snob' when she mentions the boar brushes..
I don't think that she has never heard of semogues or omegas..
What an arrogant way of advertising a product..

4 365
 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
User Info
What the others said, plus:
Quote:If a shaving brush doesn't use badger hair, it's not a shaving brush.
I got one boar and two and a half horse that takes offence to that... if it's a brush used for shaving, it's a shaving brush.
Quote:Boar hair brushes are absolutely to be avoided and that they irritate skin.
That would depend on your skin, would it not? Makes me wonder what she would say about horse brushes...
Quote:Badger hair is the only type of hair that retains water. Every other animal hair repels water.
AFAIK badger don't absorb water either - since it's usually finer hairs, the capillary action simply sucks up more water than a boar or horse.
Quote:Badgers aren't harmed when their hair is taken from them.
You can't harm an already dead animal, so... AFAIK the only truly animal friendly brushes out there is synthetics and horse hair brushes.

Good job lady - I hadn't heard about your company before, but will go out of my way not to give you any money in the future.

3 3,577
 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
I had an email conversation with Danielle three months ago. I bought three eshave brushes from Marshalls. The larger more expensive ones that were called Fine Badger had been dyed to make them look like Fine instead of Pure. The main problem though was the hair fell out like crazy and continues to do so. It got so bad that the hairs got in the way of the shave.

So I emailed customer service at eshave and Danielle wrote back. She claimed they never sold seconds or overstock to Marshalls. I had to photograph the boxes, instructions, pricing labels and receipts to prove it to her.

She claimed the hair used in her brushes was usually better than the same grade of badger hair from other brush companies. Not so, by any means.

If you watch videos from her website, there isn't much useful information there. I read her bio and listened to some early interviews and found that she comes from the fashion industry in Eastern Europe originally.

21 1,476
 05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I stopped the video after her anti boar ranting. I have used ê-Shave creams and was gifted one of their brushes. The creams are very good but the brush is just okay.

As you look at the video, it is obviously nothing more than a promotion for her products. Her ideas, I would say, are certainly aimed at the newbies who are considering wet shaving but know little about it.

At best, her statements would be ignored on forums like The Shave Nook. At worst, she'd be unceremoniously laughed off those same forums.

2 11,211
 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
Every one has their own, personal opinions. However, i do not agree at all with what she said.

75 20,883
 05-26-2012, 01:55 PM
User Info

That video may appear to be in the same vein as Mantic's, the Shave Nook videos, The Gentlemen's Shop video, etc., but it is really just an infomercial. While eShave video does contain some truths, it also contains inaccuracies. Danielle Malka is trying to push her product line, not help us make informed decisions. eShave sells only badger brushes and only cartridge razors, so it is no surprise that she disparages on competing products. I think it is a rather clumsy approach, especially in this era of information sharing via the Internet.

Quote:She claims that:

You will see many claims made by vendors hawking their wares. That does not mean all such claims are all true, however. These folks have a vested interest in getting you to buy their product. Some are honest, knowledgeable and do so by providing accurate information. Others, either through ignorance or artifice, make misleading statements. How to discern between the two? Simply take the various things said and do some research.

So let us look at some of the Ms. Malka's statements from the eShave video:

"If it's not badger hair, it's not a shaving brush"

So boar brushes are actually rowboats?

The reason she gave:

"In French we call a shaving brush a blaireau. And the blaireau is a badger. Because if it is not a badger, if it is not a blaireau, it is not a shaving brush."

That must be the most brain dead reasoning I have ever heard, even if it is coming from an infomercial. Does Ms. Malka think her potential customer base is stupid? Or maybe completely in the dark about traditional wetshaving.

"Badger hair is the only type of hair that retains water. Every other animal hair repels water."

While badger hair does retain water better than boar, boar brushes still work just fine.

"The more water you use, the better the lather"

False. As any wetshaver knows, it is all about getting the right amount of water for the given soap or cream being used. Too much water leads to a runny and ineffective lather.

Ms. Malka also recommends using a silvertip brush, which is certainly a viable option. She then goes on to say:

"There are many grades of silvertip"

True. The seven grades of silvertip are silvertip, silvertip, silvertip, silvertip, silvertip, silvertip and silvertip. Wink

"There is a very cheap alternative which is to buy these little five dollar brushes with what they call natural bristle, which in fact is boars hair, which is absolutely to avoid. It is irritating to the skin, it doesn't lather, it doesn't work."

True but quite misleading. Intentionally so, it seems to me. While it is possible to find $5 boar brushes that give poor results, there are many boar brushes that work very well. The fine boar brushes made by Omega, Semogue, and others, at a reasonable price point, provide ample proof. My Omega 50014 boar travel brush does not irritate my skin at all, makes a fine lather, works great and cost only $14 (only $10 now).

"A single blade is a great blade. It gives you a very close shave, bit it is a very difficult blade to handle. You have to be pretty good to shave with it."

She is right, a single blade really is a great blade. A lot of them are, anyway, and do give very close shaves. A safety razor might be difficult for Ms. Malka to handle, but it is not for many other men and women. The folks here all seem to manage quite well. I know from experience that learning to use a safety razor is not inordinately difficult. In fact, it was no more challenging than learning to use a cartridge razor.

"A five blade razor is better than a one blade razor because it is easier to use. It is going to give you as close a shave and you don't have to worry about cutting yourself."

Seriously? I nicked and cut myself a lot more with a multiblade cartridge than with a safety razor. The cartridge razor did not give as close a shave and was more irritating than a safety razor.

0 303
 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like eShave products but she's full of horse puckey.

116 3,804
 05-26-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 02:14 PM)Dave Wrote: I like eShave products but she's full of horse puckey.

To say the least. The About eShave/eShave Story web pages states in part;

"By introducing the concept of education to barbers in the U.K., and then passing their trade tips onto consumers, she developed a reputation for herself as the premier shaving expert."

So she was the one who introduced the concept of barber education? Before that they did not go to barber school or receive any training?

"By reviving the concept of wet shaving, Danielle stimulated a category explosion."

She makes it sound like she was single-handedly responsible for the current wetshaving revival. Could have fooled me, I thought it was Mantic, Leisureguy, the wetshaving forums and the many other online wetshaving retailers and manufacturers that brought about the wetshaving renaissance.

0 303
 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I always beware of any claim that uses any of the following words:

Always
Never
"Only Correct"

etc.

Such claims completely ignore the YMMV aspect of anything.

0 396
 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-26-2012, 02:39 PM)Tbone Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 02:14 PM)Dave Wrote: I like eShave products but she's full of horse puckey.

To say the least. The About eShave/eShave Story web pages states in part;

"By introducing the concept of education to barbers in the U.K., and then passing their trade tips onto consumers, she developed a reputation for herself as the premier shaving expert."

So she was the one who introduced the concept of barber education? Before that they did not go to barber school or receive any training?

"By reviving the concept of wet shaving, Danielle stimulated a category explosion."

She makes it sound like she was single-handedly responsible for the current wetshaving revival. Could have fooled me, I thought it was Mantic, Leisureguy, the wetshaving forums and the many other online wetshaving retailers and manufacturers that brought about the wetshaving renaissance.

She must have come up with this idea about the same time what's his name invented the internet.Biggrin

173 23,538
 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
You pervs would have gone easier on her if she'd been hot looking,just saying Biggrin

I did note a very mischievious glimmer in her eyes when she said "baby butt smooth" Cool

7 414