05-26-2012, 06:02 AM
User Info
Thanks to a generous sample of some TABAC cream from Duane (daccpa) I was able to experience the scent that is so polarizing. I liked it enough that I added it to my IB order when the new RazoRock soaps were released. Of course you have to go for the glass bowl, it's classic just like the MWF ceramic dish.

[Image: 0ea8456f.jpg]

Today will be my first shave with it and I'm really excited to experience what so many people rave about. I mean I see that a lot of people consider TABAC to be the gold standard of soaps which all others are compared to.

So while I'm confident that the shave will be splendid (I have done a few test lathers and have seen the quality lather it produces) my main concern is how long the scent will linger. As the thread title states, the TABAC scent has my house divided. I really like it, though a touch strong, but my wife despises it. Due to this I certainly won't be getting the AS lotion. However, if the soap is like my others the scent won't last long. She's rarely in the Nook while I'm shaving so I think I'll be in the clear to keep using & enjoying this soap. If it ever ends up in the soap trade thread then you'll know that it has been vetoed.

So, what things (shaving or non-shaving related) have you saying that you, too, live in a "House Divided"?

31 7,912
 05-26-2012, 06:09 AM
User Info
Don't worry; your wife might get used to the scent. I didn't really know what to think of the scent at first, but now I love it. It's a complex scent that takes a while to appreciate. Lots of people hate the scent or are neutral about it at first, but eventually love it.

I say buy a bottle of the cologne and wear it all the time until your wife gets used to it. Wink

0 214
 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 06:09 AM)Pnume Wrote: Don't worry; your wife might get used to the scent. I didn't really know what to think of the scent at first, but now I love it. It's a complex scent that takes a while to appreciate. Lots of people hate the scent or are neutral about it at first, but eventually love it.

I say buy a bottle of the cologne and wear it all the time until your wife gets used to it. Wink

While I'm sure that action wouldn't lead to divorce, I do know what effect it would have & where that effect would be noticed. Let's just say I'm not willing to give up that aspect of my marriage. Tongue Winky

31 7,912
 05-26-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Rinse your face well after the shave and most of the scent will go away. That's really to bad about the wife, but trust me, I understand. I like the TABAC soap and the TABAC after shave lotion. Great stuff.

173 23,480
 05-26-2012, 06:45 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
Sorry to hear about the discord. I am glad to say that I am one of the lucky ones. My wife likes the Tabac smell better than any other in my Den. Ka-ching !

18 281
 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love Tabac. Both the cream and the A/S. I haven't been able to get my hands on the soap in the bowl... YET!!! My wife doesn't mind it, but it's not her favourite scent.

If I were in your shoes and the wife protested so strongly I'd ditch it! Although a great product there are others out there. I do value a good shave, but the love of a good women is always going to come first!

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 07:30 AM)ben74 Wrote: I love Tabac. Both the cream and the A/S. I haven't been able to get my hands on the soap in the bowl... YET!!! My wife doesn't mind it, but it's not her favourite scent.

If I were in your shoes and the wife protested so strongly I'd ditch it! Although a great product there are others out there. I do value a good shave, but the love of a good women is always going to come first!

I agree Ben, if she vetoes it then it will make its way to the soap trade thread. Last night while showering I did a test face lather without telling her. She never said anything to me, nor did I see any nose wrinkling when we kissed. So I think the soap will survive, but the AS will be a no go.

31 7,912
 05-26-2012, 07:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 07:34 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 07:30 AM)ben74 Wrote: I love Tabac. Both the cream and the A/S. I haven't been able to get my hands on the soap in the bowl... YET!!! My wife doesn't mind it, but it's not her favourite scent.

I agree Ben, if she vetoes it then it will make its way to the soap trade thread. Last night while showering I did a test face lather without telling her. She never said anything to me, nor did I see any nose wrinkling when we kissed. So I think the soap will survive, but the AS will be a no go.

A smooth face and a happy SWMBO is definitely good policy. Although I recommend the A/S there is no point risking accord with the wife! Enjoy the soap!

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Polarized is the right word for Tabac.

It went the "less than desirable" direction for me. It was banished!

47 1,375
 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:05 AM)MaxP Wrote: Polarized is the right word for Tabac.

It went the "less than desirable" direction for me. It was banished!

My commiserations MaxP, it's a fine product, but thankfully there are many other fine products to choose from...

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
Can anyone describe the scent? I know how difficult that is so it's no big deal if it can't be.

32 6,308
 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
I love the smell of Tabac and my wife likes it as well but, she hates the smell of Sandalwood. I love AOS Sandalwood. Oh well she's not shaving with it so it stays.

2 805
 05-26-2012, 09:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Top Notes:
Pepper, Petitgrain, Citrus, Neroli

Middle Notes:
Lavender, Camomie, Geranium, Oak Moss

Base Notes:
Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Moschus, Ambergris

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 09:12 AM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 09:00 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Can anyone describe the scent? I know how difficult that is so it's no big deal if it can't be.

Adding to what Ben already said, I've read that they were going for the tobacco flower smell. Not the leaf, but the flower. It's a strong fragrance Brian. However long it took for your dVH to mellow, think about 3-5x longer in my guesstimation for this one. My wife says it smells too "old". It definitely reminds me of some classic manly scents which I have no problem with & do enjoy. The moss & vetiver stand out the most for me followed by the citrus, pepper, & woodsy.

31 7,912
 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just smells good. When I first got mine, speaking of the after shave now, I put a small amount on top of my hand and rubbed it in. I then stuck my hand under my wife's nose and asked what she thought. She said that stuff stinks.

Two days later, I used the TABAC soap to shave and applied the TABAC after shave to my face and neck. About 30 minutes passed and the wife walked by and said, you sure smell good today.

Go figure.

173 23,480
 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 10:36 AM)Johnny Wrote: I just smells good. When I first got mine, speaking of the after shave now, I put a small amount on top of my hand and rubbed it in. I then stuck my hand under my wife's nose and asked what she thought. She said that stuff stinks.

Two days later, I used the TABAC soap to shave and applied the TABAC after shave to my face and neck. About 30 minutes passed and the wife walked by and said, you sure smell good today.

Go figure.

That phenomenon is termed a "woman's prerogative"...! Tongue

91 17,790
 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
It reminds me of my Grandfather, he used it, my Dad uses it also, The old man got me to try it round at his house a few weeks back along with the A/S and I loved it Smile

It is on the to buy list for June !

0 62
 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
To my nose, the soap resembles the scent of the AS/EdC but much more soft and powdery. The AS and EdC are quite leathery. Love them all! For what it's worth, the shower soap does smell a lot like the soap. Thumbup

35 2,703
 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My wife and at least one daughter like the scent, but the biggest surprise was that my 20 year old granddaughter likes it. I expected a big thumbs down when I handed her the bowl and asked what she thought.

0 204
 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
You guys are brave using that soap! i once smelled it and it was just too strong as many soaps are for me.
Good luck with the wives. Hehe.

75 20,884