10-14-2014, 04:09 PM
User Info
In the Philly area, in the fall you can get Ivin's Spiced Wafers only at Acme supermarkets. As a kid we called them Halloween cookies due to the black and orange box, their limited fall availability and the fact that some people gave them out for Halloween.

There is a competitor called Sweetzels Spiced wafers available in other Philly supermarket stores. I was always partial to Ivin's (As if I had a choice - my mom shopped at Acme).

These are NOT ginger snaps. They are rock hard and best served with milk or tea. And they are less ginger tasting than ginger snaps.
If you go outside of the Philly area a short ways they (both Sweetzels and Ivin's) are not available.

I haven't had them in years. I came home from work and there was a package at the door. My mom surprised me and sent 4 boxes.
Ahhhh... life is good. Forget midterm elections, ebola and ISIS - I have "Halloween cookies" to eat.
[Image: QHpbNTK.jpg]

7 363
 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sometimes, childhood memories are the best. Smile

2 11,211
 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM
User Info
(10-14-2014, 04:16 PM)freddy Wrote: Sometimes, childhood memories are the best. Smile

The memories ARE great.... but having the actual cookies is even betterBiggrin

Phil

7 363
 10-14-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
Phil,
What a great gift from your mom. She knew you liked them, the time of year they were available and she made the time to send them. Send her a card and tell her that you love her very much. Do it for me too, because I can't do that anymore.

Aaron

0 1,007
 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM
User Info
(10-14-2014, 04:46 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Phil,
What a great gift from your mom. She knew you liked them, the time of year they were available and she made the time to send them. Send her a card and tell her that you love her very much. Do it for me too, because I can't do that anymore.

Aaron

Already done. She gets a handwritten letter each week. She will get a card the same day
. Moms are great. Sorry to hear of the loss of yours.
phil

7 363
 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
User Info
Phil, big grin on my face as I read that. Enjoy!

I'm like that with Phefferniese (sp?- definitely) cookies near Christmas. Some things, tastes and smells especially, trigger memories for us.

I just took a walk down memory lane. Time to close this post.

Thanks for the mental trip.

OK, I just had to see how much they'd cost me. Phil, you had me with the post. OK, far too expensive for me since I don't have the addiction* coupled with the eidetic imagery.

But I did find this: http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2006/12/mola...snaps.html

I intend to try it once the outside temperature plummets.

* I know food taste addiction/attraction from my past, who doesn't? Mine is for Taylors Pork Roll. Phil, you probably remember that. I can buy it here in Maine, but it's in tiny packages. Just big enough to keep the shakes of addiction away, but not big enough to satiate them. Order it online and you pay through the nose, but it is available. But make your own and the price is the same as pretty much any sausage. Possibly a tad higher but not much, <$3 /lb. And it's good stuff, AND you have quality control. If one already has a grinder and stuffer (or sausage stuffing tubes for the grinder) it's a no brainer to make. It's actually easier to make than many sausages. Different, but no more difficult. It's fermented, then cooked. One makes ones own fabric casings.

32 6,445
 10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
Nice story, Phil and I hope you enjoyed the cookies! Smile

82 21,056
 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
User Info
(10-14-2014, 08:25 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: * I know food taste addiction/attraction from my past, who doesn't? Mine is for Taylors Pork Roll. Phil, you probably remember that. I can buy it here in Maine, but it's in tiny packages. Just big enough to keep the shakes of addiction away, but not big enough to satiate them. Order it online and you pay through the nose, but it is available. But make your own and the price is the same as pretty much any sausage. Possibly a tad higher but not much, <$3 /lb. And it's good stuff, AND you have quality control. If one already has a grinder and stuffer (or sausage stuffing tubes for the grinder) it's a no brainer to make. It's actually easier to make than many sausages. Different, but no more difficult. It's fermented, then cooked. One makes ones own fabric casings.

Well you got me back - Taylor Pork Roll. Wow. Are you from near Philly? That's what we called it. My Jersey friends called it Taylor Ham.

I love that stuff. But kind of forgot about it. My breakfast meat of choice is Scrapple. Habbersetts if you can get it. I know Taylor Pork Roll is not just a breakfast meat. But we always ate it on egg sandwiches.

Phil

7 363
 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM
User Info
No, not from Philly but NJ. Growing up we called it Taylor Ham, but that doesn't really describe it. The stuff is awesome. The wife and I and would go thorough withdrawal shortly after the summer visitors would leave and our stash of summer visitor supplied TPR would disappear. I decided that needed to change and so found an online recipe that really nails it. Now we have TPR when ever we want it. I make about 20# per batch. That lasts us awhile. Breakfast only? Heck no! With eggs and egg sandwiches, of course. But it's not just for breakfast. I'll make a TPR sandwich for supper quite often. Hearty mustard and cheddar go great on it. OK, it's good right out of the casing too, with no further cooking. I liken TPR to an addiction. So does a neighbor also from NJ. But now we can get our fix whenever we want.

If anyone wants the link to the recipe I can post it. Anyone capable of making sausage can make it.It does require a fermentation step with a purchased bacillus, then pasteurization, but that's no big deal.

Heck, I'll just post it anyway.
htttp://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/NewJerseyPorkRoll.pdf

We do ours a bit different than the recipe at the link. We produce fabric casings just as Taylors does. Then we vacuum seal the sausages in plastic, then they ferment and get pasteurized, all in the fabric and plastic. It's an awesome product, and for the price of the makin's; with todays pork prices maybe $3/lb. .

32 6,445
 10-15-2014, 10:28 PM
User Info
Phil,

you know I'll send you cookies if you want them from one of your favorite local spots...and you know I'm probably as local as you'll get on these forums.

btw, I've never seen that brand of cookies before.

Tongue

40 5,830
 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
(10-15-2014, 10:28 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Phil,

you know I'll send you cookies if you want them from one of your favorite local spots...and you know I'm probably as local as you'll get on these forums.

Tongue

Thanks for the most generous offer. I may take you up on it one day.

I can't believe you have never seen Ivin's. Your mom must have shopped at Pathmark or A&P.

Phil

7 363
 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 12:13 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:

Tongue

I can't believe you have never seen Ivin's. Your mom must have shopped at Pathmark or A&P.

Phil

My Mom's Uncle was born and raised in Tinicum (Lester section of Tinicum, which is where I was also raised). He's been residing in Concho, Arizona for probably 30-40 years now, if not longer. Around the holidays, we try to overnight him some good eats from the Philly area that he simply cannot get out in his area of Arizona, like a cheese steak, hoagie, soft pretzels, peanut chews, tastykakes and etc. He simply loves it since he's getting up there in age and doesn't get to come back to the east coast as often as he used to about a decade ago.

Pathmark is the market that my mom would go to when I used to live with her. I would often go to the market with her to help out, but I don't recall every seeing any Ivin products..maybe I just didn't pay much attention....

40 5,830
 10-17-2014, 03:55 PM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 02:48 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(10-17-2014, 12:13 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:

Tongue

Phil

My Mom's Uncle was born and raised in Tinicum (Lester section of Tinicum, which is where I was also raised). He's been residing in Concho, Arizona for probably 30-40 years now, if not longer. Around the holidays, we try to overnight him some good eats from the Philly area that he simply cannot get out in his area of Arizona, like a cheese steak, hoagie, soft pretzels, peanut chews, tastykakes and etc. He simply loves it since he's getting up there in age and doesn't get to come back to the east coast as often as he used to about a decade ago.

Pathmark is the market that my mom would go to when I used to live with her. I would often go to the market with her to help out, but I don't recall every seeing any Ivin products..maybe I just didn't pay much attention....

That's why. Ivin's are only sold at ACME.

On a side note. I have ACME canvas bags from 25 years ago. Still use them. Mind you they do not have Acme Supermarkets up here. Just last week, at the grocery store, a young male bagger noticed the Acme logo and asked me if I got rocket powered roller skates from themSmile Cracked me up. That is a Wylie E Coyote joke for those who missed it.

7 363