10-15-2014, 04:33 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
OK so I've been told that a badger brush needs to thoroughly dry before re-use. Why? If I am going to just soak it for a few minutes before use, why does it have to be dry? Is there anyone that just uses the same badger brush daily, without fully drying it? I have a CH2 that I'd like to use more often, but it takes about 3 days to dry that sucker!

168 1,386
 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Constantly wet surfaces breed fungi and bacteria. Some of these could be harmful to you and some could be harmful to the fibres on your brush. So, it's probably best to let your brush dry completely between uses.

I had a Chubby 2 and a Chubby 3, but I never used them daily. However, my experiences with other brushes indicate that it should be possible to adequately dry them between uses. Just shake dry, then wipe on a towel, and let the brush dry outside the bathroom.

That should do it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

37 1,743
 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM
User Info
My CH2 takes 2-3 days to dry. I agree with Yohann's post above that a badger brush should dry completely between uses.

50 6,088
 10-15-2014, 05:38 PM
User Info
Agree with the posts above on letting the brush dry. I shake mine out vigorously over my bathtub until no more water comes off it. It usually takes two or three good shakes. It ends up being only slightly damp when I'm done and is ready for use the next day.

0 1,071
 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
I beg to disagree with all the above posts.

You SHOULDN'T leave your brush wet all the time, but dampness from one day to another is not a problem. Whenever you're wetting the brush, you're also washing it on your shaving soap, so in a certain way your brush is always clean.

We are dealing with natural fibers, so some fungi or bacteria might appear, but they are not harmful (let's exclude the extreme cases). If you're worried about it you should look for synthetics.

Remember that only a small percentage of shavers had money enough to buy more than one brush in an entire lifetime, our grandparents had the same brush for decades and they used them everyday. In wet shaving,we are he exception, not the rule.

2 242
 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM
User Info
(10-15-2014, 05:38 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Agree with the posts above on letting the brush dry. I shake mine out vigorously over my bathtub until no more water comes off it. It usually takes two or three good shakes. It ends up being only slightly damp when I'm done and is ready for use the next day.

Same here!! I have a cheapy Escali brush and its completly dry when I get home from work. Then again, stuff dries fast in SoCal.lol

3 218
 10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
User Info
There shouldn't be any issues with using the same brush every day. Unless it's Chubby dense, then there might be an issue since the middle takes more than a few hours to completely dry out. But even then, it's probably still ok.

9 3,036
 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
User Info
I would have to concur with what David and Lee have mentioned about not really worrying about the brush fully drying, but you wouldn't want it to be too wet, all the time. Thus, you would want to have at least two brushes, but more is always better to be sure all of your brushes dry well. Biggrin

Did they have brushes as dense as the Chubby 2s, back then?! Biggrin

83 21,077
 10-15-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
Try it. If it self destructs don't do it again. If it doesn't, you're good. What could be simpler?

Myself, I wouldn't do that with natural fibers. With a synthetic I'd have no qualms about the brush surviving. But my thought isn't so much for the brush, but what you're making lather with for your face. A continually wet anything breeds all sorts of stuff; add organics and the problem gets worse.

32 6,459
 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM
User Info
For those of us with SAD, this issue is the least of our worries. Rolleyes
But seriously, what I would avoid doing is storing a damp brush in a dark, enclosed area, such as a medicine cabinet. That's the recipe for fungal growth.

39 3,919
 10-16-2014, 06:07 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Thanks for the advice. I do follow the protocol of a few brisk shakes and drying with a towel. It makes sense that one should not keep the brush too wet and allow it an open environment to dry…..I'll just experiment and see. BTW I also own Thater 2 band brushes and they seem to dry out much quicker (1 day) due to less density. Anyone use commercially available brush cleaners, such as the one available from Royal Shave, for routine brush maintenance?

168 1,386
 10-16-2014, 06:38 AM
User Info
What hasn't been mentioned is that you are also protecting your investment. 2 Band brushes can cost up to $500. Treat them right and you'll pass them on to your son someday.

39 3,919
 10-16-2014, 07:32 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(10-16-2014, 06:38 AM)primotenore Wrote: What hasn't been mentioned is that you are also protecting your investment. 2 Band brushes can cost up to $500. Treat them right and you'll pass them on to your son someday.

+1 This always plays a factor, we consider drying time because of the value we're putting into the brushes we have.

If that wasn't the case, I believe its been discussed everywhere, back in the old days most people have 1 brush and used it every day or even left it in the mug from some pictures I've seen and it looked 'ok' to use the next morning.. so comfort question is would you be willing to do that to a $500 brush or take bit of patience and wait a day because most of us definitely have more than 1 brush to turn to. Biggrin

35 1,329
 10-16-2014, 08:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
treat your badger like it's still alive- just don't feed it.

2 3,171
 10-16-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
(10-16-2014, 06:38 AM)primotenore Wrote: What hasn't been mentioned is that you are also protecting your investment. 2 Band brushes can cost up to $500. Treat them right and you'll pass them on to your son someday.

that is one thing for shure - pass on brushes to the next generation - but it is also a fact that a great part of brushes - indeed the more expensive and exotic as well - will change hands plenty times within the community. just like parrots.

7 1,624
 10-16-2014, 07:41 PM
User Info
Brushes are not metal. The hair will not be useable after a certain time period. A very long time, but eventually it degrades and decomposes. And if you're keeping it in a time capsule.......Undecided

As for fungal growth, I've never heard of it actually happening. I'd imagine there would have to be spores in the air, no air circulation, and the brush would be stuck in a confined space. That said, I'm not an infectious disease expert.

9 3,036
 10-16-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
(10-16-2014, 06:07 AM)Steelman Wrote: Anyone use commercially available brush cleaners, such as the one available from Royal Shave, for routine brush maintenance?

My wife showed me a brush cleaning product made by the M.A.C. cosmetic company. It works really well removing the soap build -up and conditions the hair nicely leaving the brush soft. I have not tried any of the other products available though.

74 2,274
 10-17-2014, 12:31 AM
User Info
(10-15-2014, 05:46 PM)davizera Wrote: Remember that only a small percentage of shavers had money enough to buy more than one brush in an entire lifetime

The brushes now are very cheap and any one can give 5 dollars to buy a new Boar knot.

(10-15-2014, 05:46 PM)davizera Wrote: our grandparents had the same brush for decades and they used them everyday.

I have live that back in the 80's
They use it everyday but the knot was like a woman with abused hairs
The handle also was worn but nobody cared about it because the ages where different
I know all these by first hand because back in the 1983 when i started traditional shaving i had only one brush for years.
In today's standard this brush could stand for a minute,nobody could accept it.
Our grandfathers had one soap,one brand of blade and one razor
We, today have dozens.

0 353
 10-17-2014, 10:41 PM
User Info
May I chime in. Has anyone asked the question. How do professional barbers go on?. Because in the shops I've been in, and it's a lot. The barber seems to have only 2 at most.

live life to the fullest. You only get one. At least in most cultures. :-S

0 1
 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 10:41 PM)razornut Wrote: May I chime in. Has anyone asked the question. How do professional barbers go on?.

The professionals have to do the job quickly
They use Boar mainly if i am not wrong.

0 353