10-16-2014, 07:10 AM
User Info
I just received my first HTGAM DE (the Name Taker) and I noticed that I had to fumble withe the blade alignment just like a FaTip. Is this a common problem with all of their razors? To be honest I'm a little disappointed due to this issue. On the other hand the razor looks great & performed well but the alignment issue is a bit aggravating to me.

EDIT: After a week of use and even though I whined about the fussy blade alignment this modern razor shaves great. The Name Taker is well balanced with a girthy solid brass handle. The blade gap appears to be larger than my Merkur 34c but feels less aggressive (with an astra /its a little too aggressive for me with a feather). I get the best results with a 3 pass using an astra blade which normally tug at my beard. No irritation or nicks. I would definitely buy this razor again and at just under $30.00 its economically priced.

6 589
 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
No comments. Did I say something wrong? Confused

6 589
 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
User Info
Give it time. Someone may have some insight. Just seems kind of quite in general on the shave front and not just here. Never used one of their DE's before so won't be any help. Good luck getting it sorted out.

147 3,463
 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM
User Info
I have found that you have to fiddle with the blade alignment in many modern razors. I have gravitated toward vintage razors, partially for that reason (although you have to fiddle with alignmetn in some of those, too).

For modern razors, all I have left is a Mergress, an Ikon Shavecraft 101, a Tradere safety bar, and an iKon Deluxe open comb. Of these, the iKon Deluxe open comb and the Tradere load the blade dead nuts every time without any fiddling. The others require fiddling.

To be honest, I don't think it's so much machining tolerances as it is head design. There are many ways to hold a blade in a razor head, and only a few of them will make absolutely certain that the blade is perfectly aligned every time.

For example, any system that relies on pins of any kind coming down from the top plate and passing through the blade and bottom plate is always going to require fiddling. I don't know that it would even be possible to machine this system to the kind of tolerances that would be required to make it hold the blade perfectly straight every time.

2 1,391
 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
Don't know that I fully agree with that issue in modern DE razors. Only one I have ever had an issue with was my $10 Utopia but I only bought it for the handle. My Muhle, Razorock, Merkur, & Maggard I have never had an issue with.

147 3,463
 10-17-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 08:43 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Don't know that I fully agree with that issue in modern DE razors. Only one I have ever had an issue with was my $10 Utopia but I only bought it for the handle. My Muhle, Razorock, Merkur, & Maggard I have never had an issue with.

+1
I own well over 40 safety razors new & vintage. The only other razor I've had this issue with is my FaTip. The Gillette old type had "pins" passing through the base plate, I own many old type Gillettes and do not have an alignment problem with any of them.

6 589
 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
User Info
Y'all may not have noticed the issue, but it exists.

Take any of those razors.....for example, the Gillette Old Type. Place the top cap down on top of the countertop and put a blade onto it.

Now, check to see if there is any "wiggle room" for the blade; in other words, grabbing it by the sides while it is loaded onto the top cap, can you physically move the blade in any direction? If you can (and I guarantee that you can), the blade can be loaded improperly.

It's that simple. Generally speaking, the amount "off" that the blade can be is not large, so you might not notice it and it might not affect your shave much, but it can definitely be loaded unevenly.

Here's a list of Gillette razors:

Old Type
New Improved
New Deluxe
New Standard
NEW LC/SC
Adjustables
TTO razors after the adjustables
Tech

Of these, the Tech, the TTOs including the adjustables, and the NEW load the blade dead nuts every single time without fail. The New Deluxe probably does, as well, although I've never owned one. The others can and do become loaded improperly if you're not careful.

The Progress has a TON of wiggle room and can load a blade seriously whack if you are not careful. I borrowed an iKon H2O at one time and loaded a blade, and then took a picture of it with my phone just because I thought it was a cool-looking razor. Looking at the picture I could easily see that the blade was completely skee-wompus. Not even close to even.

From now on, every time you load a blade in a razor, look very carefully at the edges before you shave with it and you will undoubtedly be surprised at the number of times either 1) the edge is not straight, or 2) the amount of blade exposure is not exactly the same from side-to-side.

I GUARANTEE you that Old Type Gillettes can load the blade incorrectly. If yours can't do that, it's the only one Gillette ever made that's like that.

2 1,391
 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
Interesting to hear - I was curious about the HTGAM razors, as they look pretty well-built.

5 57
 10-18-2014, 04:56 AM
User Info
(10-17-2014, 11:32 PM)dimitrof Wrote: Interesting to hear - I was curious about the HTGAM razors, as they look pretty well-built.

Its a great razor IMHO. It seems to be well made, with plenty of heft. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 only because of the blade alignment.

6 589