10-18-2014, 07:13 AM
User Info
I am a rather newbie with straights but enjoying the ride and the AD. Has anyone tried a straight from Portland Razor Company. The seem to have nice looking and well made straights. Their Facebook page also has a beautiful Damascus blade straight (probable prototype). Thanks in advance

2 40
 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
Since no one has responded to your inquiry, I know two folks on SRP who have tried their razors and they have had positive results with them. They say that they are a very simple, but very functional blades.
Best of luck.

83 21,077
 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
Thank very much. I read the SRP threads. I just bought the Uno which has been great. Thought I would give another newcomer a try.

2 40
 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Can you post pictures of your razor?

I like their website.

Portland Razor Co.

178 23,809
 10-20-2014, 05:33 PM
User Info
I haven't made a purchase yet. Still debating in my mind on whether to get the hydra or leviathan. As soon as I get my hands on one, I will post pics

2 40
 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Actually awaiting a custom 8/8 Hydra with Walnut scales to be completed in the next week or so. Communication with Scott whom I believe is the owner and manufacturer of these beauties was/is fantastic and so far has been quite a pleasure to deal with. Once I receive the pic from Scott of my completed razor I will gladly post.

I have all types of SR grinds in my den but I must admit that I get the best shaves from 1/4 grounds and Extra Full Hollows....That's why I LOVE my Hart's and certain that my custom Portland Razor will fill the bill nicely. Already eyeing their Gustave as my travel razor.

45 710
 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM
User Info
Huh, I might actually see if I can schedule a visit. I like the look so far, and after my fiasco with a Livi, I feel like I need to take a look at something different. I'll update if I'm able to stop by the shop sometime later this week or so.

16 249
 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 07:34 PM)explodyii Wrote: Huh, I might actually see if I can schedule a visit. I like the look so far, and after my fiasco with a Livi, I feel like I need to take a look at something different. I'll update if I'm able to stop by the shop sometime later this week or so.

I hope you get a chance to stop in and that you enjoy your time! Smile

83 21,077
 10-22-2014, 05:31 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I really wouldn't mind if this razor was my first for cut throat shaving. Prices are very reasonable and are quite pretty looking.

10 963
 11-02-2014, 07:31 AM
User Info
Just placed order on Leviathan in maple can't wait to get my hands on it. Will post pics

2 40
 11-02-2014, 07:39 AM
User Info
I stopped by last Wednesday and Scott, the owner, gave me a tour and showed off some of his work. Great guy! Razors look pretty awesome in person.

Scott was actually kind enough to let me return today and try honing up one of his blades, so I'm bringing a few stones and a Hart I refreshed yesterday to see how it all compares.

Will update soon!

16 249
 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM
User Info
Great to hear and I am looking forward to your pics! Biggrin

83 21,077
 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM
User Info
Been planning on doing a family road trip down to Portland. Hopefully, this next spring; and this is one of the places that I will be personally stopping at. I do plan on doing some good shopping. Cool

1 1,975
 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM
User Info
I haven't seen one first hand... I may order one just to check it out.
That being said, It seems they are made "in house" which to me is a plus and the guy seems to have a passion for it (and not just on the sales side)
It with a shot!

0 93
 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
User Info
Nice looking razors. Knowing where they are made (in the USA) is a big plus for me. No Chinese junk blanks.

0 56
 11-05-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
I'm looking hard at one of these Portlands, too. They look real nice!

1 67
 11-05-2014, 06:17 PM
User Info
So I've held off posting some impressions of PDX Razor Company for mostly selfish reasons: I wanted to get my custom order in before Scott gets completely hammered by inquiries!

Scott, the owner of PDX Razor Company, was nice enough to let me crash his workshop in the Industrial District not just once, but twice over the past week. Just to lead off with it, he was awesome every step of the way ingratiating me with odd questions and requests! Great guy, and very easy to work with.

My first visit was really fun, Scott showed me the whole setup he uses, from initial shaping, to grinding, to heat treatment, to polishing and honing. Apparently he's been getting some SERIOUS interest in supplying vendors in Australia and Canada lately, and his backlog is growing quickly!

Scott used to do only the standard models listed on the site, but he's started doing custom work in other sizings. He actually had several he was currently working on in various stages, so I got a chance to see works in various stages of progress.

My second visit, Scott was kind enough to offer up a razor to hone, and this visit was VERY informative to me. I brought my stones,and went at it! I saw pretty quickly that my honing style was far too "timid" for the razors. I actually went through the progression and found my bevel wasn't set properly. Man, the metal Scott makes is HARD and his bevels are slightly wider than other brands, which makes for a very tough first stone on the hones.

Additionally, I totally forgot to bring a strop and used one that Scott was using in his shop, so I got to get a feel for that, too. Based on looks, I was expecting a pretty heavy draw on the strop, but surprisingly, his strops are very soft, velvety and extremely light on the draw.

After talking a bit more with Scott, I decided to pull the trigger on a custom. His work is EXTREMELY polished looking. By polished-looking, I don't mean that he uses a buffing wheel a lot, I mean that the blades look really quite refined. The one thing I wasn't sure about was Scott's wooden scales. His custom scales were great, especially his spalted maple. For his regular line, though, the style is great, but the final look is a bit odd. It has a highly glossed finish, but still with wood grain textures... Some definitely looked better than others, but the Mahogany ones in particular were the most noticeable with the texture. Still not sure how I feel about those!

So yeah, my order is in, and if you are interested, I'd definitely suggest sending an e-mail over. Scott is very enthusiastic and very open about his work, very refreshing to talk to after I've had some orders through other custom makers.

16 249
 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM
  • GMofmiami
User Info
I just received my Gustave 6/8 (listed on their site) this past Saturday as I anxiously wait for my Walnut scaled 8/8th custom Hydra to be completed this week ...The Gustave is a beautiful, simple yet incredibly functional. I bought it with the black acrylic scales and quite frankly looks stunning with the Ivory wedge and gold colored pins. I own several Hart Steel razors so I'm quite used to the weight and quarter hollow grind, so naturally the razors offered by Scott were right up my alley. I was pleasantly surprised how the weight of the blade was lighter than the Hart's, not much lighter but enough to notice a difference. The bevel on this puppy was perfect and uniform while the edge was wicked sharp...Naturally I couldn't wait till the morning so I did a night shave (didn't shave in the morning)....Lathered up HTGAM META NECTAR and the shave was an effortless, precise and oh so smoooooooth two pass shave (WTG & ATG). As I said, the edge is wonderfully sharp but by no means harsh, quite comfortable actually. It mowed my thick "barbed wire" one day growth with incredible ease. So far I'm quite impressed and pleased with Portland Razor Company, communication with Scott (owner) is quick, very pleasant to deal with, impeccable and personalized service. No doubt his razors will certainly earn a place in my rotation. Really looking forward to receive the 8/8 Custom Hydra....that's gonna be one beautiful chopper....Here are a couple of pics just received from Scott a few hours ago of this big, bad boy that should arrive this Friday.
[Image: j1f9rtJ.jpg]
[Image: ZZ5YKMA.jpg]

45 710
 11-05-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
beautiful razor congrats . I am waiting for my leviathan

2 40
 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM
  • GMofmiami
User Info
Congrats on the purchase of your Leviathan....I'm sure you're going to enjoy it....I've been getting some exceptional shaves with the Gustave. Can't wait to see how his big brother Hydra is going to perform Biggrin

45 710