10-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
This morning I was using an artisan soap. And the lather was nice, but the scent just didn't engage my nose.

And then it occurred to me, That's It! That's How I'll reduce my soap collection...scent... followed by performance.

So, if a soap doesn't readily make me say or feel, "Mmmmmm," then its not going to stay.

The standards for comparison will be Oxford & Cambridge and AoS Sandalwood. Both of those ALWAYS make me say or feel Mmmmm. And they both create a top shelf lather.

There are good soaps and great soaps. I've got to reduce the contents of my drawer to the great ones. I think this will help me get there.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach to you, fellow Nookers?

57 1,565
 10-20-2014, 09:53 AM
User Info
perhaps a good idea - although i would always rate performance higher than any scent Wink

7 1,624
 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
That's about how I do it. If it passes the first test it gets used in the morning, if it passes the second it stays for a week, if I still like it in a week it's in Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM
User Info
Yep, there are a lot of good performers, so I just as well enjoy the scent too!

31 1,800
 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM
User Info
Performance and Scent are huge factors. Performance is always #1 but if the scent doesn't make me say or feel "MMMMM" then it most likely goes. Soap makers always have more than one scent so I stick with the soaps that perform best and normally waste a ton of money finding the scent I love lol. So I basically do the same thing. I don't like having to much soap on hand either so even though I like most scents, I need to love them to keep them.

46 1,102
 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Performance and scent go hand in hand for me.
It could be the best performing soap on the planet but if it smells like dog sh!t then it's not going anywhere near my face!
On the other hand, if it smells amazing but can't build a lather then it's destined for hand-soap or the bin.
There's a balance, and there-in is the "YMMV" clause.

47 1,902
 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM
User Info
Max, if that works for you, then so be it.
Personally, if a soap smells good, but the performance is average, I won't usually keep it. It has to come close to my favourite soap AND smell nice.
I guess I am very fortunate that I only really use one principal soap and have done so for a few years, now! Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 09:50 AM)MaxP Wrote: This morning I was using an artisan soap. And the lather was nice, but the scent just didn't engage my nose.

And then it occurred to me, That's It! That's How I'll reduce my soap collection...scent... followed by performance.

So, if a soap doesn't readily make me say or feel, "Mmmmmm," then its not going to stay.

The standards for comparison will be Oxford & Cambridge and AoS Sandalwood. Both of those ALWAYS make me say or feel Mmmmm. And they both create a top shelf lather.

There are good soaps and great soaps. I've got to reduce the contents of my drawer to the great ones. I think this will help me get there.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach to you, fellow Nookers?

How about scentless. If I want a particular scent I add a few drops of it, usually from an aftershave lotion. The quantity I add depends upon the strength I want.
My favourite scent is Aqua Velva Musk.

There are several excellent creams and croaps made in Canada that can go up against the very best and beat their exorbitant prices by far.

For Example:
First Canadian Shave Company's extraordinary croap. brianhoffman333@gmail.com
Williams Beauty Products Inc., Toronto's R.P. Williams Shaving Cream.

Mickey

0 53
 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
You have set your standards very high, but that's the way it should be. I must have both excellent performance and an agreeable scent to keep a product. If a soap/cream works awesome but stinks (like Biotique Palmyra, which smelled like an Apple Jolly Rancher to me) it's out, if it doesn't lather as nicely as I like, its out. There is an exception and that is unscented products or vintage soaps that have lost their scent. In these cases I usually just spray my EdT once or place a few drops of my aftershave on top of the puck before lathering and then I get amazing lather matched with a scent I know I will REALLY like.

139 2,677
 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 12:08 PM)blzrfn Wrote: ...like Biotique Palmyra, which smelled like an Apple Jolly Rancher to me...

...but they do look yummy Biggrin

[Image: 2h3eBof.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-20-2014, 12:59 PM
User Info
What ever works for you is what you should do. I'll explain below.

Me? I want performance first and scent is secondary. I like a woman in negligee to give me the hint of what lies beneath. I like the same thing in scent. If scent assaults my nose I'm less inclined to like it; like a cheap woman who throws herself at me. Or like the woman who looks great but feels she needs to douse herself with a 55 gallon drum of perfume to be attractive. To me a classy soap has great performance and a mild scent. That's why I age the strong soaps I use that have great performance and a too strong scent. Too, I always separated performance from scent when I evaluated a soap; but that hasn't happened in years, or so it seems.

MDC is one that immediately comes to mind. The performance was absolutely top drawer, but the scent was far too strong. So like a fine wine I let it get some time on it and now it's just fine.

It might matter where and what ones nose normally encounters. Where I live there is very little air pollution and my nose isn't predisposed to require strong scent. Maybe if someone lives in a place with more and varied scents in the air one might like strong scent to overcome the ambient scent so as to register on the nose.

That brings me back to the first written statement. You need to do what works for you.

32 6,445
 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-20-2014, 12:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What ever works for you is what you should do. I'll explain below.

I like a woman in negligee to give me the hint of what lies beneath. I like the same thing in scent. If scent assaults my nose I'm less inclined to like it; like a cheap woman who throws herself at me. Or like the woman who looks great but feels she needs to douse herself with a 55 gallon drum of perfume to be attractive.

At my age, I'd like any woman to throw herself at me. Tongue

38 5,032
 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 01:08 PM)evnpar Wrote: At my age, I'd like any woman to throw herself at me. Tongue

Hahahaha! I don't think your spouse would approve, Richard! Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM
User Info
(10-20-2014, 01:14 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-20-2014, 01:08 PM)evnpar Wrote: At my age, I'd like any woman to throw herself at me. Tongue

Hahahaha! I don't think your spouse would approve, Richard! Biggrin

Maybe he's saying that he'd like it if his spouse threw herself at him!UndecidedBiggrin

2 1,394
 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
It looks like I should have stated that performance is a given.

If a soap doesn't perform for me, it was banished long ago. I'm now narrowing the keepers from the non-keepers based on scent.

All perform well to extremely well.

An example of sorting based on scent is XPEC. It performs divinely, but the scent reminds me of a horse barn! Its gone.

So, I continue to measure keepers against O&C and AoS Sandalwood. CRSW Select Lavender is a keeper. Anything rose...probably not.

Too many choices...sigh.Rolleyes

57 1,565
 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 09:59 AM)MaxP Wrote:
Too many choices...sigh.Rolleyes

Wayyy too many choices! haha.

46 1,102
 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Good to have choices, as for me I have to go with performance first because of something that happened while in the military I have only very limited smell sense left. And unfortunately it's mostly the smells that I don't like that come through in soaps for me :-(

28 1,433
 10-23-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
That's a good idea. I too prefer performance, but it does HAVE to have a nice smell.

1 1,975
 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
I've amassed so many creams & soaps that I decided to get rid of a bunch. My criteria for keeping them or not is simple and is similar to yours...do I get excited about using them? To give them a fair shake, and to make sure they really excite me, I'm using each one for a month before going on to the next one. In some cases (like KMF), I knew right way I wanted to get rid of them so I moved on to the next one. Sometimes it took a couple of weeks before I tired of them (like DVH). At the end of the month, if they're still around, they go back in my "Keep" box and I move on to the next one.

I've gotten rid of many, but still have many more to get rid of, and it will take a few years to get through them all. Currently using L'Occitane Cade SC, and it's definitely going to last the month. Next up is La Toja stick.

0 836
 10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
User Info
I usually like to finish a product I've started, but I have to say, as I've collected a bunch of different soap scents, I look forward to changing things up every day or two.

I hope this doesn't get out of hand too quickly.

0 1,055