05-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm from Georgia. When I was a kid no one ever said "Coca Cola", instead he said "CoCola". Also, when I would go into a store to buy a soft drink I would say "I want a cocola" and the response would be "What kind do you want?" and I'd reply "I want a 7 UP" or "I want an RC". "CoCola" was the generic word for "pop" or "soda". Anyone else remember this?

Coke was invented by a pharmacist in Atlanta and I've often wondered if GA was the only state where "cocola" meant "pop" in general.

0 396
 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Growing up in the big apple we always said "Coke"

100 12,440
 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-26-2012, 07:13 PM)slantman Wrote: Growing up in the big apple we always said "Coke"

Yes, but only if it was a Coke that one wanted. Sodas were usually asked for by their names (7-Up) or type (ginger ale) in NYC.

2 11,211
 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
Dave, up, here, in Canada, we said "pop", or "coke" for Coca Cola.

75 20,883
 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Growing up in Dallas we would call it my its name, Coke, 7-Up, RC, Dr. Pepper, etc. If we were just talking in general we would say soda pop.

I wish they still made the Coke you could get back in the 50's. There was nothing better than a fountain Cherry Coke at the little diner we use to go to.

Emmmmmmm Good.

173 23,508
 05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
User Info
Ahhhhh yes, the days of 12 ounce Are O See Colas with cane sugar and Moon Paas, I member 'em so clearly. They went scat a long ways back and they ain't coming back atall.

Translated from Southern English.

Yes the days of 12 ounce RC Colas with natural cane sugar and Moon Pies, I remember them so clearly. Those days disappeared a long time ago and they will not return again.

1 2,827
 05-26-2012, 08:42 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Dave - "Coke" and a number of other brand names were used by everyone around me to mean common products. "Kleenex" no matter the brand of tissue, "Xerox" for any paper copy, etc. Good times.

35 2,703
 05-26-2012, 10:26 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
That's an interesting bit of information, Dave. I've never heard "CoCola."

I'm from the Pacific Northwest (Washington, specifically), and the generic term for a carbonated soft drink here has always (all my life) been "pop," as in Celestino's case.

"Coca Cola" or "Coke" have always specifically meant Coca Cola in these parts.

I really haven't had reason to use these much, as Pepsi tastes so much better. Tongue

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-26-2012, 11:25 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:42 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Dave - "Coke" and a number of other brand names were used by everyone around me to mean common products. "Kleenex" no matter the brand of tissue, "Xerox" for any paper copy, etc. Good times.

Thank God I'm not nuts. You remember! We said "Coke" too but it was just as often "cocola". Older Georgians who have been there most of their life still say that. Younger ones, like my 2 nephews, say "soda". I've never called a cocola a "soda" in my life!

(05-26-2012, 10:26 PM)CMur12 Wrote: That's an interesting bit of information, Dave. I've never heard "CoCola."

I'm from the Pacific Northwest (Washington, specifically), and the generic term for a carbonated soft drink here has always (all my life) been "pop," as in Celestino's case.

"Coca Cola" or "Coke" have always specifically meant Coca Cola in these parts.

I really haven't had reason to use these much, as Pepsi tastes so much better. Tongue

- Murray

"Pop" is what Kentuckians call it. I had to get used to that when I moved here. Now in Georgia the younger folk call it "soda". Never used either term in my youth. It was "Co Cola" or "soft drink".

0 396
 05-27-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
I was born and raised in Atlanta. From '78 until 2006 it was my home. I do remember the days of saying "cocola" but for some reason my family mainly called it "Coke". It could be because my parents are from Ohio, but have lived in Atlanta since '62. When one was talking about soft drinks in general it was only referred to as Coke. Ive also been asked what to drink & when I said Come they then asked what kind of Coke. This doesn't happen much anymore. And Dave, the reason it's now being called soda is because, especially around Atlanta, Georgia isn't much of a southern state anymore.

My family that still lives in Ohio called everything "pop" & it drives me nuts!

31 7,912
 05-27-2012, 04:09 AM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 06:16 PM)uncledave Wrote: I'm from Georgia. When I was a kid no one ever said "Coca Cola", instead he said "CoCola". Also, when I would go into a store to buy a soft drink I would say "I want a cocola" and the response would be "What kind do you want?" and I'd reply "I want a 7 UP" or "I want an RC". "CoCola" was the generic word for "pop" or "soda". Anyone else remember this?

Coke was invented by a pharmacist in Atlanta and I've often wondered if GA was the only state where "cocola" meant "pop" in general.

Yes, I do remember it well. The name of I recall be used the most around our house and community was CoCola. My paternal grandparents kept RC and Coke in the fridge and as a child I new that I could ask for a cocola and choose between a RC and Coke unless it was the last Coke in the house as that was reserved for grandfather. My grandfather never drank coffee but had one Coke every morning with his first Pall Mall unfiltered cigarette of the day. He would only drink Coke from a 6 1/2 ounce glass bottle because all other containers did have or keep the proper level of flavor and carbonation - in his humble opinion. In those years, there were many people that believed the best Coke product came from the small bottle - an urban legend in our very rural area of north Georgia.

29 1,731
 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:30 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Yes the days of 12 ounce RC Colas with natural cane sugar and Moon Pies, I remember them so clearly. Those days disappeared a long time ago and they will not return again.

At least Coca Cola is still made with cane sugar in Mexico. All the local roach coaches (lunch trucks) and Mexican grocery stores sell Mexican Coke in the 12 oz. bottles. It tastes a lot different - and better - than the US garden variety Coke. A Bevmo near me sells it, too.

What, no more Moon Pies? Dang, those things were good.

0 303
 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
User Info
(05-27-2012, 05:23 PM)Tbone Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 08:30 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Yes the days of 12 ounce RC Colas with natural cane sugar and Moon Pies, I remember them so clearly. Those days disappeared a long time ago and they will not return again.

At least Coca Cola is still made with cane sugar in Mexico. All the local roach coaches (lunch trucks) and Mexican grocery stores sell Mexican Coke in the 12 oz. bottles. It tastes a lot different - and better - than the US garden variety Coke. A Bevmo near me sells it, too.

What, no more Moon Pies? Dang, those things were good.

They are still around but they have been sized down and you have to get the special upsized version to get what is close to the original size wise.

http://moonpie.com/original

1 2,827
 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Count me as another one who heard CoCola for a majority of their lives. There honestly was nothing better as a kid at a gas station than a Coke, a Bologna Sandwich with a piece of Bologna about 1/2 inch thick, mayonnaise, tomato, and cheese with some potato chips. If I was good, Dad always got me a big Chocolate moon pie as well. You hear a lot about RC's and Moon Pies, but I never really liked RC. I always went for a good cold "CoCola" My local Grocery store sells Mexican Coke. I got one the other day and it was very good. I also like the Mountain Dew and Pepsi Throwback that has cane sugar as well.

116 3,804
 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-27-2012, 05:42 PM)Dave Wrote: Count me as another one who heard CoCola for a majority of their lives. There honestly was nothing better as a kid at a gas station than a Coke, a Bologna Sandwich with a piece of Bologna about 1/2 inch thick, mayonnaise, tomato, and cheese with some potato chips. If I was good, Dad always got me a big Chocolate moon pie as well. You hear a lot about RC's and Moon Pies, but I never really liked RC. I always went for a good cold "CoCola" My local Grocery store sells Mexican Coke. I got one the other day and it was very good. I also like the Mountain Dew and Pepsi Throwback that has cane sugar as well.

Thank God someone else called them "CoColas" !

I loved RCs as well, and the vanilla moon pie. I never much cared for the chocolate ones. I'm not much of a chocolate person in general.

I loved bologna sandwiches when I was a kid. Not much of a favourite now though.

I don't know this for sure, but I've heard several times that the original recipe for CoCola used beet sugar, which of course has since been changed to cheaper sugars. Is this true?

0 396
 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've been Vegetarian for almost 4 years and there's a few things I still miss. I still miss Bologna, hot dogs at a baseball game, and pepperoni pizza. As for Cokes, I thought they'd always used Cane Sugar until HFCS came into place.

116 3,804
 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
(05-27-2012, 05:59 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 05:42 PM)Dave Wrote: Count me as another one who heard CoCola for a majority of their lives. There honestly was nothing better as a kid at a gas station than a Coke, a Bologna Sandwich with a piece of Bologna about 1/2 inch thick, mayonnaise, tomato, and cheese with some potato chips. If I was good, Dad always got me a big Chocolate moon pie as well. You hear a lot about RC's and Moon Pies, but I never really liked RC. I always went for a good cold "CoCola" My local Grocery store sells Mexican Coke. I got one the other day and it was very good. I also like the Mountain Dew and Pepsi Throwback that has cane sugar as well.

Thank God someone else called them "CoColas" !

I loved RCs as well, and the vanilla moon pie. I never much cared for the chocolate ones. I'm not much of a chocolate person in general.

I loved bologna sandwiches when I was a kid. Not much of a favourite now though.

I don't know this for sure, but I've heard several times that the original recipe for CoCola used beet sugar, which of course has since been changed to cheaper sugars. Is this true?

Most, not all, U.S. soda water products use Hi Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) or an artificial sweetner (for those who have issues with sugar / calories). It would be better if they went back because HFCS is more difficult for the human body to deal with. It is cheap so that is why it is used.

Here is an article on Kosher Coca Cola.

http://blog.chron.com/believeitornot/201...sher-coke/

As to sugar beets...

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsou..._Coke.html

1 2,827
 05-27-2012, 06:43 PM
User Info
And its all local water.

Water from the city the bottler is in and coke supplied syrup. Nothing more.

Most Mexican and Brazil products have real sugar as a means of growing their economy since their countries grow it so why import or make crappy hfcs.

5 273
 05-27-2012, 06:57 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-27-2012, 03:17 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I was born and raised in Atlanta. From '78 until 2006 it was my home. I do remember the days of saying "cocola" but for some reason my family mainly called it "Coke". It could be because my parents are from Ohio, but have lived in Atlanta since '62. When one was talking about soft drinks in general it was only referred to as Coke. Ive also been asked what to drink & when I said Come they then asked what kind of Coke. This doesn't happen much anymore. And Dave, the reason it's now being called soda is because, especially around Atlanta, Georgia isn't much of a southern state anymore.

My family that still lives in Ohio called everything "pop" & it drives me nuts!

Alas, you are right about Georgia. Now there's concrete where the cotton used to be. Angry

0 396
 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(05-26-2012, 07:28 PM)freddy Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 07:13 PM)slantman Wrote: Growing up in the big apple we always said "Coke"

Yes, but only if it was a Coke that one wanted. Sodas were usually asked for by their names (7-Up) or type (ginger ale) in NYC.

Wow Freddy I didn't know that.

100 12,440