10-21-2014, 05:12 AM
User Info
How do I clean a new shaving brush?

0 98
 10-21-2014, 06:15 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
What I have done in the past is do a couple of palm/test lathers with one of my soaps that is not on my "favorites" list. The level of new brush funk will determine how many lathers I do to clean it out. Some brushes needed only one test lather...others have needed much more.

Recently I bought a brush cleaning soap made by DaVinci. This will be what I'll be using going forward to clean my new and existing brushes.

34 1,628
 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
I've never cleaned or done palm lathers with any new brush. I just take a new brush and use it to shave. If I was going to clean a new brush, I would just use Ivory hand soap or any other mild soap. Also, The Superior Shave sells a German soap by VP Leonhardy which is made specifically for cleaning shaving brushes.

50 6,100
 10-21-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
Alex7 - are you asking how you get rid of the "funk" that many new brushes come with? Or are you asking how to clean a new brush? For the latter, I don't that's necessary since the brushes have been sterilized. But if you feel the need, I figure that any dish detergent would do the trick. Also, keep in mind that shaving creams and soaps will "clean" the brush as they have detergent (i.e. water-soluble cleaning agents) ingredients.

As for "defunking" a new brush (particularly prevalent with boars), this has probably been discussed many times. My advice is just to use it. Maybe like Giorgio writes, do a couple of "test" or palm lathers, but just using it will get out the funk.

Its funny because some brushes have next to no funk and others have tons. I always thought it came down to boar/badger, but Semogues (boars) in my opinion have very little and the Vie Long badgers I've gotten have been funk-bombs. I think the "funk" we normally talk about is actually the sterilizing agents and maybe Vie Long sterilizes their badgers as thoroughly as their horsehair (which makes sense with the historical anthrax concerns).

84 1,505
 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM
User Info
A few palm-lathers should do the trick. If it has quite a bit of smell, then more test lathers for a week or so, depending on how bad the smell is. Biggrin

83 21,078
 10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I've actually tried the vinegar cleaning (google it) and it really seemed to work.. the instructions in a nutshell was use was a dab of dawn and then lather with it, rinse, then 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water solution to soak it and then rinse it several times with fresh water. The vinegar smell was there for a few hours but dissipated, but the end result was that the hairs of the cheap brush I tested it on ended up straightening out and essentially did a factory reset (computer term lol).

I only did this once as I was curious but it did remove the soap buildup along the base of the plastic handle but that was a old AOS trial brush that I learned off of.

I test lather brushes now after a few new recent brushes I obtained didn't have any funk but when you squeeze the lather out of the brush the lather came out brown, and it didn't have a noticeable funk. So I test lather everything at least 1x before use, depending on what the lather shows me.. only a few brands I've experience can come out of the box and use immediately.

The cleaning soap sounds really intriguing to use. But there's home methods that work as well.

35 1,329
 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
(10-21-2014, 06:01 PM)refles Wrote: I've actually tried the vinegar cleaning (google it) and it really seemed to work.

I always soak my new brush in a White vinegar + hot water soluble
After drying it's time for palm or bowl lather with a regular soap and finally a some hours soaking with a strong smell soap or cream.
After drying the brushes goes for the first test,photos,comments etc.

0 353
 10-25-2014, 07:40 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
the vinegar bath worked well for me also. I actually have a couple brushes that could use it now for some soap scum removal

10 411
 10-27-2014, 02:12 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I'll cast another vote for the vinegar system, though I use Apple Cider Vinegar...

I use this on all of my brushes periodically.

33 914
 10-27-2014, 04:05 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I do a borax solution soak (weak solution, one teaspoon of borax to a large cup of hot water) rinse, and then a white vinegar solution, also weak, as above. Perfect really. Borax really softens things up and is great for cleaning soap build up in brushes too.

0 1,774
 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

On my case for long years what I been doing is the following:
I use just Human Hair Shampoo and Human Hair Conditioner and that's it.
My routine is the following:
1st I just soaked in water. Then I purr some shampoo in it them with the other hand I start play with the hairs in circular motion. After 5 to 7 minutes I eliminate the shampoo with water. After that I purr conditioner I make sure that the conditions is all spread in the hairs. I leave the brush with that conditions for about 5 to 9 minutes. After that I rise it for a long time in order to eliminate the residues of the conditioner.
And the most important part is to put it facing down in a open air in a stand. That's the most important part.

I hope this helps.
Ken

21 209
 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 10:12 AM)kiruiz Wrote: ...and the most important part is to put it facing down in a open air in a stand. That's the most important part.

...but what happens if i don't put it upside down in a stand? (i take it you mean foot up brush down)

7 1,624
 10-27-2014, 02:53 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Actually, the issue of how to stand a wet brush has come up many times in these forums ('fora'? Nah, sounds wrong). It seems to me that standing a brush upright works slightly better as the moisture sublimates off (or is that just 'evaporates?). It's not necessary to use a stand; some just like the aesthetics. I don't, personally. I like things the right way up.

0 1,774
 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM
User Info
I also agree with the vinegar. Just keep it around the 1:10 vinegar:water ratio. It cuts any soap residue as well as soften the hairs nicely.

If you use to much vinegar, it takes forever for the smell to disappear. Trust me, I know...

21 555
 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM
User Info
If its a new brush i just test lather it a few times, between 2 and 4 depending on the state its in. If you really want to get a deep cleaning of the brush i recommend MAC brush cleaner, because its safe for any kind of bristles and also has an alcohol content in it, get the brush clean and smelling nice.

0 237
 11-03-2014, 01:25 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 02:12 AM)MikekiM Wrote: I'll cast another vote for the vinegar system, though I use Apple Cider Vinegar...

How much is the alcohol points ?
6-7-8 ?

0 353
 11-03-2014, 05:43 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(11-02-2014, 07:17 PM)Kravocks Wrote: If its a new brush i just test lather it a few times, between 2 and 4 depending on the state its in. If you really want to get a deep cleaning of the brush i recommend MAC brush cleaner, because its safe for any kind of bristles and also has an alcohol content in it, get the brush clean and smelling nice.
The lady of the house is an artist and cares for a bunch of brushes that include sable and kolinski. She tried MAC brush cleaner and advised that it puffed up her brushes and changed how they behaved. She instead recommended a brush cleaning soap from art supply stores. I think the BP Leonardy soap is similar.

2 286
 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
I usually palm lather a new brush. Then just rinse it very well under luke warm water. shake it, and gently rub it against a towel then hang dry.

0 62
 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM
User Info
I've found that the CO Bigelow or Proraso knocks out the funk the fastest for me.

0 33
 11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
(11-03-2014, 01:25 AM)Doryferon Wrote: How much is the alcohol points ?
6-7-8 ?
Was your question about the MAC brush cleaner? If it was, the alcohol content is not indicated in any percentage. It is just stated in the packaging.

(11-03-2014, 05:43 AM)Karlo Wrote:
(11-02-2014, 07:17 PM)Kravocks Wrote: If its a new brush i just test lather it a few times, between 2 and 4 depending on the state its in. If you really want to get a deep cleaning of the brush i recommend MAC brush cleaner, because its safe for any kind of bristles and also has an alcohol content in it, get the brush clean and smelling nice.
The lady of the house is an artist and cares for a bunch of brushes that include sable and kolinski. She tried MAC brush cleaner and advised that it puffed up her brushes and changed how they behaved. She instead recommended a brush cleaning soap from art supply stores. I think the BP Leonardy soap is similar.
Thanks for the tip. I used the MAC because it was at close at hand, and after seeing that some makeup brushes are made with some exotic bristles it couldn't hurt my brushes, and in fact they are holding pretty good. But from what you say, i will be considering other options Wink

0 237