10-21-2014, 08:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Alright all you semi-bearded ones.

I've been clean shaven all my life but in my old age I have decided to grow a mustache and goatee.

The reason for this sudden urge is the fact I am going to my son's wedding in late February and everyone involved in his wedding have mustache and goatees and some of them have full beards. My family has never seen me with any kind if facial hair so this will be a surprise for them.

I am about a week into this so everything is at the itching stage. Here are a few questions for you facial hair experts.

1. What do you use to trim with? Scissors or Electric Trimmer
2. Do you put anything on to condition i.e., beard oil etc?
3. What do you use to groom with? Comb, brush, fingers, etc.

Fire away. Teach this old dog new tricks.

178 23,809
 10-21-2014, 08:07 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Cool!
Good luck with the new look, Johnny.
My wife won't allow me to sport a mustache ... Sad

102 18,652
 10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
User Info
Ravi - that's crazy, because mine won't let me shave off mine! Confused

Johnny, I have made my own "beard oil" for the itching stage. I usually keep a light beard, but every now and then, I'll need to start over and trim it really close to clean.

- Oil
Jojoba, Argan, Almond oils - these really help with itching and they don't leave any smell. There are "carrier" oils, meaning you can use these as a base or main oil, then, you can add some essential oils to these for a scent that's pleasing to you.

- Trim
I personally, use scissors for my beard, about 95% of the time, and have only been doing this for maybe 6 months. My technique is getting better. I also use some Andis Trimmers to "line up" my side cheeks to get a more fuller look.

- Comb
I use a really fine tooth comb, that's plastic, but I will be getting a wood comb soon. For my beard, I like to wash it once, maybe twice a week, put on some good leave in conditioner, add some oil and rub all over vigorously, then apply (if my beard is thicker), some beard balm. (The Mod Cabin has a great one) After that, I'll comb ATG then shape it WTG to get it looking full, a lil' shiny, and cleaned up. It comes out really good.

SIDE NOTE: Condition it every day or every two days. It helps to keep it really soft and you're wife will appreciate it!

1 1,975
 10-21-2014, 10:05 AM
User Info
1. I don't trim because I have a handlebar moustache. Trimming is a no-no for me.
2. I use Honest Amish beard balm in my facial hair. It works great.
3. After a shower, I use a blow dryer and comb. If I wax that day, I use the blue
dryer and comb to remove most of the wax.

Enjoy it!

6 229
 10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
User Info
I have no goatee currently, but do have a mustache. I keep it trimmed with Seki Edge Mustache Scissors, which do a great job at keeping it short enough that it doesn't tickle my wife's nose. I shampoo it with the same bar (Mike's or Cold River or Shannon's) that I use on my head.

207 12,266
 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM
User Info
In answer to your questions:

1) An electric trimmer. I usually trim it every 2 days just before a shave. I like to keep it quite short, just slightly longer than stubble.

2) Nothing special. Only what I rub into my face to moisturise.

3) It's too short to comb.

I have grown a beard a full beard a few times. In my experience the itching will reduce as your beard gets longer.

1 93
 10-21-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
I trim my stach & goat with both trimmers and scissors. I guess it all depends on how long you want the hair to be. I set my trimmers at 4 so mine is not long. No need for conditioners etc. I've never grown a full beard.

147 3,539
 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Johnny,

The best bet is beard oil and scissors...I use the beard oil from Penhaligon's which is very conditioning and sort he's the itching to a manageable level...avoid scratching...the follicle is developing and scratching can cause tears which itch more....I use Merkur / Divo scissors to trim and finish with my regular razor....

74 1,512
 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Johnny,

I use a Kent 81T mustache comb for day to day grooming. I have a beard brush that I use after trimming to get the loose ends out.

I use both scissors and an electric trimmer. The electric trimmer has a comb on it like a barbers hair clippers and gives a consistent length. The scissors are great for the stray hairs that just won't cooperate.

Of course I'm assuming you are looking for a well groomed look and not the unkempt look. Biggrin

Good luck with the mustache and goatee. Best wishes to your son and future daughter-n-law.

3 518
 10-25-2014, 12:41 PM
User Info
(10-25-2014, 10:03 AM)Crag Wrote: Johnny,

The best bet is beard oil and scissors...I use the beard oil from Penhaligon's which is very conditioning and sort he's the itching to a manageable level...avoid scratching...the follicle is developing and scratching can cause tears which itch more....I use Merkur / Divo scissors to trim and finish with my regular razor....

Matt, this is good info. Thank you. I'll be NOT scratching in the future, when I start over with my beard.

1 1,975
 10-25-2014, 01:11 PM
User Info
I trim with an electric clipper and use Honest Amish Beard balm. It's getting a tad too long though.

[Image: ACBE87CA-C132-4AED-9639-BC0024547C32.jpg]

3 218
 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
I carry a full beard and typically will trim it with a #1 attachment on the clippers every few weeks, or when I get my hair cut.

I just simply wash my face & beard with the same bar of soap that I use on the rest of my body each day. I've noticed that with my beard being kept short, it's a) less prone to being itchy, b) doesn't get curly and thus reduces knotting when I comb it and c) my facial hair doesn't get in the way of eating.

in the past, I'd let my beard go for months before trimming it and I would experience all 3 of the things I listed above.

40 5,830
 10-25-2014, 03:48 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Just let it grow. It's really not any more complicated than that. It's only been a week and a half so it's likely to be a bit itchy as the whiskers grow just long enough to curl over and contact the skin. Beards grow at different rates of course, but you should definitely feel an easing on the itch front in another week or so, once the whiskers are long enough to begin to "hang" more than just curling back onto your face.

I use a pair of regular barber's shears and a fine toothed tapered comb to trim, but I keep my goatee long and I've no moustache per se, just whiskers along the vertical sides and a taper inwards above the corners of my mouth. I'll trim the very ends of the goatee about every 6 months or so and that seems to keep the beard nice and full without things getting too pell-mell at the bottom. The sides and corners just take care of themselves and don't grow out much longer than an inch or so.

I've never used any sort of dedicated beard oil or wax, and I've had a beard of one ilk or another for the better part of 30 years now. Just keep it clean with clear water and the natural oils will take care of the rest just fine. My beard's about midway down my abdomen now and just a gentle run through with the wide spaced end of the same tapered comb keeps the whiskers straight & orderly without pulling them out.

Tie a bow on it and call it good...easy-peasy! Biggrin

0 567
 10-26-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
JP:
I have used both an electric trimmer and scissors to clean up the goatee. If you want the clean, neat look, stick with the electric. For some length, be patient and keep it trained with some quality mustache wax, with the scissors you can neaten up the wild hairs, but remember, every hair you trim, you'll have to keep trimmed.
Looking forward to some pictures.

39 3,919
 10-26-2014, 06:52 AM
User Info
I've been sporting a goatee and 'stach for a decade and a half now... I'm not sure if that makes me an expert, but my Better Half won't let me take it off so I gotten decent about taking care of the growth.

Usually my Better Half trims it with scissors at the same time she buzzes my head - ie; every other week. When I'm away from home I either use an electric trimmer, or simply lets it grow.

I don't use anything in particular to condition with unless I get flaky skin, but I do give it a good wash with Mike's Shampoo Bar every morning.

And I carry a comb, since it's good for both getting the beard straightened and getting the occasional crumb out of the tangled mass.

3 4,510
 10-26-2014, 07:40 AM
User Info
I have had a mustache and goatee (donut) for decades, i keep it short 1/4 to a inch at it's longest.

1. Electric Trimmer with a adjustable blade guard, easy to keep the hair under 3/4 inch long

2. it gets washed when washing face and during shaving, also 2-3 times a week i use a little shampoo when shampooing the head.

3. a Comb once a week when it's long (inch or so), not needed if short.

Also most men (taking a guess here) trim it down just a bit from the nose, if your hair rubs on the nose that can drive you crazy. A few times a month (2-4) i comb the mustache down over the top lip and trim it off the lip (basically to the line made from skin color to lip color) this keeps food and drink out of the mustache and makes kissing more enjoyable for the one your kissing, IMO.

0 29
 10-26-2014, 03:47 PM
User Info
When I had a moustache for 20+ years and goatee every winter I trimmed with electric, basically like Doug mentioned above... I haven't had a moustache for several years, but I think it's time I grow one back for movember.

31 1,800
 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-25-2014, 01:11 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: I trim with an electric clipper and use Honest Amish Beard balm. It's getting a tad too long though.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I am two weeks in to growing the stache and goatee for my son's wedding in late February. If it works out I will post a picture from the wedding.

I did get some beard oil and one of those cute little mustache combs.

178 23,809
 10-27-2014, 06:55 PM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 04:27 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(10-25-2014, 01:11 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: I trim with an electric clipper and use Honest Amish Beard balm. It's getting a tad too long though.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I am two weeks in to growing the stache and goatee for my son's wedding in late February. If it works out I will post a picture from the wedding.

I did get some beard oil and one of those cute little mustache combs.

I am glad you like it!! Sons of Anarchy also comes to mind.LOL You should have a very full VanDyke by February. I have been growing mine since late July. Be sure to show us some updates!!

3 218