10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Looks like I will be antiquing with the wife and daughter on Saturday. If I happen to run across any vintage safety razors what are the best choices for a newbie? Any to avoid?

0 15
 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For a newbie the first thing that comes to mind is a Gillette Tech. I can't can't think of what to avoid except be wary of overpriced items. Prices can quickly get out of hand when dealing with vintage items...

34 1,627
 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
Agree with the Tech as a perfect starter razor.

Others to look for would be a Schick Krona or a Gillette Superspeed.

2 1,547
 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
as a newbie i would have been attracted to anything that shaved Cool

look at all you can find and keep your $ below 20 Wink

7 1,624
 10-21-2014, 08:52 AM
User Info
I started with a Super Speed and got a Krona not too long after. In my opinion, both are suitable for a beginner. I have also seen the Tech mentioned frequently as a good newbie DE, though I've not tried one.

As far as what to avoid, I've read that slants aren't the best for beginners, though you're probably less likely to find a vintage slant in the US than in Europe, I think. I didn't find my first shave with a slant to be too much more difficult, but I had been shaving with a DE for a while by then.

0 1,097
 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
Any of the vintage Gillettes, really.

Avoid anything that seems overly priced.

Good luck.

83 21,109
 10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
(10-21-2014, 08:12 AM)jostalli Wrote: Looks like I will be antiquing with the wife and daughter on Saturday. If I happen to run across any vintage safety razors what are the best choices for a newbie? Any to avoid?

By any model you don't already own, so long as it was in decent shape (most can be cleaned) and didn't cost too much. Look at the classified ads on this forum for an idea of what different razors are worth. IN the end, it's the value you place on it that matters.

Make sure you check that things that turn, turn smoothly, things mean to be straight are not bent, and there are no broken parts. Also be careful of blades. Antique dealers like to keep things as they find them and they are often with blades, so those are left in.

Good luck on your hunt!

0 836
 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I'll chime in with Schick injectors and GEM blade SEs. The Schicks make for a very easy transition from cartridges. I find them very regularly in local shops for $5 - $15. GEM/EverReady/Treet 1912 style razors are excellent and affordable. Mind that you check that the combs are straight and the caps and close tightly. Also the GEM G-Bar, Featherweight and Contour razors are good starter razors which can be found inexpensively. Also familiarize yourself with the appearance of some of the more desirable razors (Streamlines, Damaskeenes, Slants, Gillete Adjustables, Toggles, Barbasols, etc) especially if a particular type strikes your fancy. Eveyone loves a story about "the amazing antique store find". Of course, report back with pictures.

4 194
 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
A '53 Super Speed was my first Vintage Razor. There are also a ton of Techs out there to be had, and occasionally you'll run across a Fatboy, but be weary, dealers like to price the Fatboy pretty high. I've also got a New Deluxe I grabbed at a local shop. It's one of my favorite shavers. I've also found a few E series injectors, and one G. Check the gaps on the injectors. My G series doesn't hold the blade properly and I've never gotten to try it yet. I don't think I've paid over 12 bucks for any of my shop finds..

Don't think you can go wrong with any vintage Gillette. Just give it a good look and make sure the doors open good if it's a TTO.

Happy Hunting...

18 1,186
 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM
User Info
(10-21-2014, 06:32 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Don't think you can go wrong with any vintage Gillette. Just give it a good look and make sure the doors open good if it's a TTO.

Ditto to all of these fine suggestions. And if you don't like it, you can always trade or sell it to a fellow shaver.

The Joy may be in The Hunt, but Happiness will be in The Shave!

Happy Hunting!

18 194
 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I'm not a fan of TTOs, so I usually keep an eye for three piece razors. The Gillette NEW is, IMHO, suitable for a newbie.

Besides its easy to clean and far less likely to have issues. No missing end caps, uneven doors, etc.

60 1,625
 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
If it helps, a TTO won't give you the ability to swap handles in case you find the stock one too short or too light.

And yes, three piece razors are so much easier to clean. (even though I still love my super speed.) Smile

My personal favorite vintage Gillette is the Fat Tech.

2 286
 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 10:41 AM)Karlo Wrote: If it helps, a TTO won't give you the ability to swap handles in case you find the stock one too short or top light.

This is a great luxury that we have now and I love it! Biggrin

83 21,109
 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We will let you know if I find anything interesting.

0 15
 10-24-2014, 07:23 PM
User Info
You can't go wrong with a Super Speed and they are lots of them around, probably one of the more available models. Slim Adjustables are also good for a start. Check blade gap and if the TTO works well. On open combs, teeth straight and in line. Good luck.

10 131
 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Well I came home empty handed. They had a couple DE with open comp and a SE - I almost bought a Gillette Regus Gold tone in great shape. It was only $16 bucks. Decided to pass for now.

I guess I have a lot to learn. A nice user over at The Shave Den forum let me know that regus just means it was registered in the US. 0h well, still have a lot to learn

0 15
 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Well after church today, the wife decided she did want an item from the Antique store. So I went ahead and bought the razor since it looks like it is in pretty decent shape. I am no expert but it appears that it is a Gillette Tech with the ball end handle. Based on another forum since it has on the base plate: "PAT.NOS.ON.PACKAGE" It was made between 1946 & 1949 - If anyone has any other details on the possible date, I would love to hear it. See the 3 pictures below

[Image: G-Tech-Ball-Handle-1.jpg]

[Image: G-Tech-Ball-Handle-2.jpg]

[Image: G-Tech-Ball-Handle-3.jpg]

0 15
 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
That razor looks like it's in very good shape, and it's a terrific razor to start with.

38 5,194
 10-26-2014, 05:58 PM
User Info
Pretty much an ideal razor for a newb, I think -- and really surprisingly great shape for the plating! Not just a newb, either, btw.

7 315
 01-13-2015, 10:09 AM
User Info
i got my first 2 at a antique store as well.i didn't know exactly what i had, i still shave with them. 8 bucks total.
the first was the Gillette TV Special it was mfg for a short time in 1955 or 56. now i can't remember.
the second was a Gillette Super speed mfg in '63. I think. both are still in rotation and both still give great shaves!Cool

0 189