10-22-2014, 07:14 AM
User Info
If you are can you compare it to the, as far as my wife and I are concerned, much hated Win8? (Not disliked nor despised, pure hatred; the only good thing good about it is when the screen goes dark. ) My wife won't even surf the web with it. She just uses it for games. She uses the very old and slow XP laptop I got for her MANY years ago. The thing takes 10 minutes to boot up, and that is superior to her Win8 computer as far as usability. That's what she thinks of Win8.

It seems MS has lost sight of what the graphic interface as designed by PARC was supposed to be. I'm looking for a return to user interface sanity. Is Win10 it?

Anything you can tell me would be great.

TIA

32 6,470
 10-22-2014, 08:24 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I've been playing with it in a VM.
It's Windows 8.2 as far as I'm concerned.
They added the Start MENU back (not just the Start button).
There's some other changes, but nothing major. So yes, it looks like Win7 with some eye-candy and under the hood improvements.

47 1,948
 10-22-2014, 08:29 AM
User Info
Windows 10 won't be released for a long time, but the very early previews looks decent enough.. for now, it looks like they have gotten rid of or at least scaled back some of the horrors of Win8. My Better Half wondered about getting in on the beta program though, and if she does I can keep you updated. We got an old, yet usable, desktop we consider using.

You probably already seen it, but there is some good pointers over on the official website.

I'm on Win7, and plan to stay here for a very, very long time... then again, I used WinXP for more than a decade.

3 4,666
 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 08:29 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Windows 10 won't be released for a long time, but the very early previews looks decent enough.. for now, it looks like they have gotten rid of or at least scaled back some of the horrors of Win8. My Better Half wondered about getting in on the beta program though, and if she does I can keep you updated. We got an old, yet usable, desktop we consider using.

You probably already seen it, but there is some good pointers over on the official website.

I'm on Win7, and plan to stay here for a very, very long time... then again, I used WinXP for more than a decade.

Hans, you sound like myself. I used XP for at least that long as well and if they'd kept supporting it I'd have been happy for life. On Win7 now myself as well.

I'll check out the official site, but I have little confidence in anything MS says anymore. They authored Win8 after all. I think they're doing dope over there (in the clouds).

Please keep me posted my friend.

32 6,470
 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
I'm sure they though Win8 was a great idea. The thing to keep in mind though is that every other version of Windows has been a dud...

Win8 stinks
Win7 is great
Win Vista was a pile of poo
WinXP became the industry standard
WinMe... lets not talk about it
Win98 rocked
Win95 tried to hard
Win3.1 was solid workhorse
Win3.0 crashed if you looked hard at it

3 4,666
 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
i must say i'm a bit surprised here. if windows is so filled with problems - why not try another operative system? Confused

7 1,624
 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
Windows 8 isn't filled with problems. The majority who hate it do so because of the stupid touch-friendly interface. I'm with them on that, and will upgrade to 10 when it's released.

9 112
 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
it doesn't seem you are in majority here - according to several of the posters in this thread...

7 1,624
 10-22-2014, 02:12 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(10-22-2014, 01:15 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I'm sure they though Win8 was a great idea. The thing to keep in mind though is that every other version of Windows has been a dud...

Win8 stinks
Win7 is great
Win Vista was a pile of poo
WinXP became the industry standard
WinMe... lets not talk about it
Win98 rocked
Win95 tried to hard
Win3.1 was solid workhorse
Win3.0 crashed if you looked hard at it

This is so accurate it should be a standard description in Windows World Whistory Biggrin

That said, I've been playing with 10 for a while and it really has improved in comparison to 8. Not surprising at all though, Microsoft is good at testing stuff on people and then releasing the "real" OS.

88 4,233
 10-22-2014, 02:12 PM
User Info
The only reason I hate windows 8 is because of the interface.

11 230
 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 02:06 PM)tonsorius Wrote: it doesn't seem you are in majority here - according to several of the posters in this thread...

My beef with Win8 - and one echoed by several of my friends and co-workers whom have tried it - is that a reasonable solid platform is broken by giving it the same interface as MS freaking phone... and that works badly on a big screen with mouse and keyboard.

3 4,666
 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
I dislike the GUI in Win8 as well; it seems to run fine though, the little we run it. Did I say dislike? What I meant was a far deeper and intense negative feeling for it.

Marius, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat, but there is nothing else (other than a Mac) that is really useable enough. Heck, I actually liked DOS. But it's been so long since I programmed (DOS allowed simple programming) anything and now I don't have the time or desire to relearn.

OK, test question... I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what the following GUI was called. Before Windows there was an IBM/MS collaboration that resulted in a pre-Windows product. It ran in B&W and was actually pretty good for a first try. What was it called? Heck, I ran it on an IBM PS2 model 30 with 64k of user RAM and 2mb of paged memory. That was a very long time ago. Soon after the release of that GUI IBM and MS has a tiff and MS went it alone with Windows.

Yes, Windows 3 crashed quite often. I remember that distinctly.

32 6,470
 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Are you talking about Xenix, Brian? It wasn't really a GUI kind of OS, just a Unix operating system by MS, before it all started with windows.

88 4,233
 10-23-2014, 02:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-22-2014, 01:48 PM)DesertJake Wrote: Windows 8 isn't filled with problems. The majority who hate it do so because of the stupid touch-friendly interface. I'm with them on that, and will upgrade to 10 when it's released.

I am on Win7 and don't mind it but would still be on XP if it was supported. My wife got a new laptop that came with Win8 which she has learned to use but we both hate the asinine touch screen interface. Another solution to a non existent problem.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-23-2014, 04:57 AM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 10:00 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: OK, test question... I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what the following GUI was called. Before Windows there was an IBM/MS collaboration that resulted in a pre-Windows product. It ran in B&W and was actually pretty good for a first try. What was it called?

I suspect you're thinking of OS/2 - if you had a PS/2, the OS/2 was made for it. You can see screenshot here and see if it's the right one.

3 4,666
 10-23-2014, 06:27 AM
User Info
You can avoid the majority of the touchscreen nonsense in 8.1 by setting it up right. You can avoid all of it with some free or cheap add-on programs.

I remember OS/2... just barely though! Heck, I remember playing with some machine we had with a rudimentary graphical interface and those monster 8" floppy drives. Maybe it was that Xerox Star from that list. And GEM on my Atari ST. That's a good nostalgia site.

9 112
 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
User Info
I am one of the (apparently few) people who didn't mind Win8. I did get it with a tablet, so that may be why.

Anyway, I am now using Win10 as my 'daily driver' and have had few issues. It's a lot more like Win7 than Win8 (on my non-touch laptop). It's also pretty smooth for early beta software. They have been releasing updates regularly, and that seems to help.

Would I recommend it as a primary OS? That depends on your willingness to deal with minor hiccups (I haven't had nay since the first week, but it did hit the BSOD a few times).

If you really hate Win8 so much, then you should consider the upgrade - it should help.

37 1,743
 10-23-2014, 09:31 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Guys, I prefer, and use, Mac's OS but I have used Windows in the past. I genuinely liked XP. Whenever I would visit my sister and brother-in-law, my b-i-l always graciously let me use his computer, which ran Vista. I loathed that version of Windows. My last experience with Windows was a laptop I purchased with Windows 7 on it. I found it pretty close to XP as far as my being able to adjust to it and I also found it pretty much bug free out of the box.

While I admit to never using Windows 8 I remember thinking, when it was announced, that the idea of a touch screen seemed pretty silly for a desktop or laptop machine. Based on some of the comments here, I guess others feel the same.

Once Windows 10 gets established, it will be interesting to see what users think of it.

2 11,211
 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
Wow! Good thing I am using Ubuntu Linux! Biggrin

83 21,109
 10-23-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
ubuntu and mint are making the change to linux a much easier process for the average user.

myself, I run linux on servers, but keep windows (currently windows 7) as my default operating system since almost all businesses run windows and I need to stay proficient with it due to my profession.

40 5,830