10-22-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
I have some vintage Houbigant Fougère Royale splash aftershave that I like and which will need to be replaced eventually, perhaps by something a touch less expensive. What are your favorite fougère aftershaves, and why do you like them? Please, no cologne or EdT discussion - my skin does not tolerate them. Thanks.

207 12,257
 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
I would love to find a nice Fougere splash. Right now I have the Queen Charlotte Soap Fougere AS Balm. Great feel & performance from the balm and it's one of my favorite Fougere scents. It's just a deeper, warmer scent than others. I open the soap sometimes just to take a sniff as I go by lol.

147 3,534
 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
B&M will be releasing a Fougère splash next month. If it smells anything like the soaps, it should be a very nice addition for those who enjoy a good Fougère...

34 1,628
 10-22-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 09:36 AM)Giorgio Wrote: B&M will be releasing a Fougère splash next month. If it smells anything like the soaps, it should be a very nice addition for those who enjoy a good Fougère...

According to Will, he was able to get a sample of the vintage Houbigant Fougère Royale (maybe the stuff that churchilllafemme has been using?) and has done his best to recreate it. I'm pretty excited about it.

84 1,505
 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
User Info
Hey, that sounds like a good one. I may have to give it a try.

207 12,257
 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
Another vote for QC aftershave

3 254
 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM
User Info
I have QCS Fougere shaving soap, and it smells like Brut. Would Brut aftershave splash be something to look into?

3 543
 10-24-2014, 02:37 AM
User Info
(10-23-2014, 06:49 PM)john parker Wrote: I have QCS Fougere shaving soap, and it smells like Brut. Would Brut aftershave splash be something to look into?
That is a definite YMMV! I get Brut in no way at all. If you enjoy the scent then why not give the AS a try?

147 3,534
 10-24-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Any fougere AS that smell like MDC fougere? Or similar?

11 230
 10-27-2014, 08:00 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(10-22-2014, 09:55 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(10-22-2014, 09:36 AM)Giorgio Wrote: B&M will be releasing a Fougère splash next month. If it smells anything like the soaps, it should be a very nice addition for those who enjoy a good Fougère...

According to Will, he was able to get a sample of the vintage Houbigant Fougère Royale (maybe the stuff that churchilllafemme has been using?) and has done his best to recreate it. I'm pretty excited about it.

I managed to get my hands on a sample of Will's Fougère Classique, and it is absolutely wonderful.

Full disclosure: I've never worn a Fougère Aftershave before so as far as all the technical details go (true fougère, etc), I can't say. However I feel that that Will has never given us any reason to doubt his ability at mixing wonderful scents (perfumery?). It is clearly his passion, and clearly one that he strives to be the best at.

What I can say is that this is a wonderful scent. A scent I could see myself wearing each and every day. A classic, masculine scent, that isn't overpowering, but is there. I'm going on about 3 hours now and I can't tell that I've had much, if any, fading of the scent strength at all. I will continue to wear this scent all week, but man I'm really loving this scent. Hoping that some others have had an opportunity to give this one a shot and can chime in as well, with better detail and correct terminology then I have at my disposal...

I would highly recommend this After Shave to anyone who asks. I am seriously hoping that this product becomes part of his permanent stock...

18 1,186
 10-27-2014, 08:08 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
That's very interesting, Clinton! Have you tried either of Will's Fougère soaps, Aromatique or Imperiale? Does the AS bare any resemblance to either?

26 4,927
 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(10-27-2014, 08:08 AM)TheMonk Wrote: That's very interesting, Clinton! Have you tried either of Will's Fougère soaps, Aromatique or Imperiale? Does the AS bare any resemblance to either?

Unfortunately I have not. This is a problem that will be remedied Saturday however. It is my understanding though that he mixed this based on a sample that he had, and not to match one of the scents of the soaps.

18 1,186
 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent news, Clinton! Great to hear your thoughts on it...it would be great to get a nice Fougere AS in my den as I seem to have a growing number of Fougere soaps.

Unfortunately it appears I will be traveling at the time of release so I may actually miss this one Sad...I hope there will still be some left by the time I am able to get internet access.

34 1,628
 10-27-2014, 11:03 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-27-2014, 08:14 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 08:08 AM)TheMonk Wrote: That's very interesting, Clinton! Have you tried either of Will's Fougère soaps, Aromatique or Imperiale? Does the AS bare any resemblance to either?

Unfortunately I have not. This is a problem that will be remedied Saturday however. It is my understanding though that he mixed this based on a sample that he had, and not to match one of the scents of the soaps.

You are correct, but I still wanted to heed an opinion from someone who had tried all 3 products. Oh well, I guess I'll have to risk it and order either way! Biggrin

26 4,927
 10-27-2014, 11:12 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(10-27-2014, 11:03 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 08:14 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:

You are correct, but I still wanted to heed an opinion from someone who had tried all 3 products. Oh well, I guess I'll have to risk it and order either way! Biggrin

That's kind of what I'm hoping for too, but at any rate I will buy the Fougère Classique and/or Fougère Imperiale the come Saturday. It would be nice to see how they complement each other from someone first hand. I know Will has been wearing it for quite sometime so perhaps he will chime in on how they differ from each other...

I can also add that now, 6 hours after application, I still get a whiff of it although the initial strength has subsided quite a bit. Still at lunch (1 hour ago) I was getting plenty of it. Truly a wonderful scent, and I continue to remain hopeful that it will become a permanent stock item.

18 1,186
 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 11:12 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 11:03 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 08:14 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: Unfortunately I have not. This is a problem that will be remedied Saturday however. It is my understanding though that he mixed this based on a sample that he had, and not to match one of the scents of the soaps.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for too, but at any rate I will buy the Fougère Classique and/or Fougère Imperiale the come Saturday. It would be nice to see how they complement each other from someone first hand. I know Will has been wearing it for quite sometime so perhaps he will chime in on how they differ from each other...

I can also add that now, 6 hours after application, I still get a whiff of it although the initial strength has subsided quite a bit. Still at lunch (1 hour ago) I was getting plenty of it. Truly a wonderful scent, and I continue to remain hopeful that it will become a permanent stock item.

It will indeed be a permanent stock item, though initial batches might be a bit sporadic because it takes a full 6 weeks to age the fragrance concentrate properly. Smile

Fougère Classique was meant to compliment both of the fougère soaps. The soaps are darker, earthier fragrances than the aftershave, but still very much true fougères. The aftershave itself is indeed based on Fougère Royale, though the concentration is low enough that my version has lost a bit of the civet character present in the original (though, given the current unpopularity of civet, this may be a good thing). Regardless, I find it very smooth, with a pronounced but not overpowering geranium note (I chose Rose Geranium for this purpose, while the soaps use South African Geranium, which has a slightly richer, earthier character). It contains real vetiver, rose, jasmine, and sandalwood, but I didn't use real civet because 1) it costs a fortune and 2) people would freak. Biggrin

5 407
 10-28-2014, 06:46 PM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 05:53 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: 2) people would freak. Biggrin

+1 Facepalm

46 1,102
 10-29-2014, 01:38 AM
User Info
After reading all this, i think I'll have to try the new B&M Fougere ASL.

I also would like to know your opinion about

B&M AfterShave Kyovu: Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage

13 1,313
 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM
User Info
(10-29-2014, 01:38 AM)Rui Marques Wrote: After reading all this, i think I'll have to try the new B&M Fougere ASL.

I also would like to know your opinion about

B&M AfterShave Kyovu: Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage

My opinion, or someone else's?

5 407
 10-29-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
Yours, and someone else

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

13 1,313