10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have six razors but only one Merkur, a Progress. I like it a lot and lately, I've been able to crank it up to 3 with either a GSB or Polsilver and have no irritation whatsoever.

I've been wanting to try a Merkur Classic head but have stayed on the fence, since I don't quite know how aggressive it is. I know it is highly regarded (especially in HD form) but I've never used the Classic design before.

Anyone who can offer their experience with the Classic vs Progress heads in terms of feel and aggressiveness? I believe shaving angles will be different but I'm trying to get even a vague idea of how it'll behave vs something I'm more familiar with.

Thanks!

2 286
 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM
User Info
Karlo, you are going to find all of the Merkur heads a bit 'mild', in my opinion, as they all share the same heads. There may be slight variations on individual heads due to the manufacturing, but they aren't 'aggressive'.
I doubt you will get a better shave compared to your Progress, but the 34C is a very nice razor. Smile

83 21,115
 10-22-2014, 10:52 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Hi Celestino!

Would that be along the lines of 89 mild? I'm thinking it won't go as far as Tech mild.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 42c. I have a few handles coming soon and a 3 piece lets me get the most out of these. Smile

2 286
 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM
User Info
Karlo, for me, the Merkurs are just as 'mild' as the EJ89 series. There is nothing wrong with that, but they aren't going to be as aggressive as your Progress since it is an adjustable.
The Merkur 42 is a lovely razor, but, personally, I would bother with it as it won't give you a better shave than your Progress.
Which other razors do you have since you could always consider getting an all-stainless steel one to add to the collection. Biggrin

83 21,115
 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Celestino,

What I've kept are a Fat Tech, an R89, a TV Special Super Speed, the Progress and a Feather AS-D2. Smile

I don't mind mild. I actually agree with the 89 level of aggressiveness. I wasn't really after something as aggressive as the Progress, but rather wanting to avoid anything more aggressive than that. For now, at least.

2 286
 10-24-2014, 08:35 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I went ahead and ordered the closed comb 1904. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can PIF it to a friend this Christmas. Hahahaha.

What we do to justify our purchases...

2 286