10-22-2014, 04:19 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
A tub of Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes cream was a gift from a good friend who brought it back from London for me. It is said: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"...which I hope I am not doing...BUT...

T&H lathers very well indeed. Packaging is superb. Classy even, and I use that particular word very sparingly indeed. I may have overdone it, though, the first time, as you need very little to end up looking like Father Xmas...

The scent disappointed me, however. I was expecting a vibrant lift, crisp refreshing notes, and the feeling of a citrussy summer in the Carribean. What I got, though, was a kind of muddy 'lime' disappointment with overtones of plasticine and weird undertones of chemical toilet block. It's just off the mark. I wonder if I am alone in my assessment?

Will it grow on me? It's possible, but not probable.

0 1,847
 10-22-2014, 06:18 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
T&H cream is fantastic! I loved the lime cream sample that came with their brushes. Certainly give it a little while unless you have more than enough supplies to get you through. I regret passing off the T&H Sandalwood cream that my friend bought me while on her vacation to London.

10 759
 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
Wow, Shaun! Your description of that cream doesn't sound very enticing! Biggrin
Best of luck with it.

83 21,115
 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 07:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Shaun! Your description of that cream doesn't sound very enticing! Biggrin
Best of luck with it.

+1!

46 1,102
 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Oh I'll keep going, but I have to say that I was expecting something a little 'brighter' on the palate.

0 1,847
 10-24-2014, 12:23 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
I've only tried the T&H No10, which is their cheapest cream, but that is superb.

Scent sometimes fades after a while, so come back to it later and it might be more tolerable.

Sent from my Moto G

0 20
 10-24-2014, 03:26 AM
User Info
I'm a complete fragrance head, owning 400+ full bottles of frag.

I agree with you on the scent - it's a very artificial, generic and un-natural smelling lime.

I had the same issue with the reformulated TF&H Sandalwood, which to smells like an ven more medicinal scented version of the TOBS Sandalwood.

The original TF&H Sandalwood smelled more like real sandalwood - I really got the wood scent from that. Not existing in the new TF&H Sandalwood to my nose.

My favorite sandalwood is still AOS Sandalwood. Very calming natural smelling sandalwood. Not generic like the TF&H.

If you want a better more natural scented lime cream, yet still a little bit generic, buy yourself a pot of the Castle Forbes Lime shaving croap (called a cream, but more like a croap)

By the way - the TF&H No.10 and TF&H Ultimate shaving cream are my favorite creams from TF&H followed closely by their lavender and Grafton & Trafalgar.

24 6,021
 10-24-2014, 05:03 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-24-2014, 03:26 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm a complete fragrance head, owning 400+ full bottles of frag.

I agree with you on the scent - it's a very artificial, generic and un-natural smelling lime.

I had the same issue with the reformulated TF&H Sandalwood, which to smells like an ven more medicinal scented version of the TOBS Sandalwood.

The original TF&H Sandalwood smelled more like real sandalwood - I really got the wood scent from that. Not existing in the new TF&H Sandalwood to my nose.

My favorite sandalwood is still AOS Sandalwood. Very calming natural smelling sandalwood. Not generic like the TF&H.

If you want a better more natural scented lime cream, yet still a little bit generic, buy yourself a pot of the Castle Forbes Lime shaving croap (called a cream, but more like a croap)

By the way - the TF&H No.10 and TF&H Ultimate shaving cream are my favorite creams from TF&H followed closely by their lavender and Grafton & Trafalgar.

Interesting to get your feedback. My wife will be in London soon; I'll put in a request for a couple of No. 10s. I have only read good reviews.

0 1,847
 10-29-2014, 10:28 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

In my case I do use since long time know TFH creams and their soap. I like them very much they are real nice products. I will be buying more if they could get a better price.
But at the end of the day they are real nice products.

Thanks
Ken

22 209
 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I checked again this morning to see if it was me or the T&H. Not my nose. The other ingredient I forget to mention was house paint. Lime house paint.

0 1,847
 11-06-2014, 01:14 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I found the WILimes cream to have an odd, off, mildewed scent. I dont like it at all. My first high end shave product was Trafalgar cream that a girlfriend gave me in 2003. It was amazing- I bought a new tub last year and it has changed unfortunately. Consistency is more fluff, its less rich and slick, the color has changed from a light honey camel to white with a blue tint.... And the scent while still similar has lost its depth richness and intensity. I still like it but she aint what she used to be.

7 325
 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
User Info
I got a half used jar of the 1805 Limes. I was under the impression it was a hard soap but learned quickly it was a soft cream. I left the lid off for a few weeks and it firmed up nicely. Performance was good but I didnt like the scent. In fact, I would load my brush, then mug lather on top of a Best Shave Lime glycerine soap. That helped tone down the funky lime scent. I used it for head shaving to help use it up faster.

8 169
 11-12-2014, 05:06 AM
User Info
(10-22-2014, 04:19 PM)Shaun Wrote: I wonder if I am alone in my assessment?

No, thats my take on it, too.
I found the scent to be identical to the base notes in the T&H WIL cologne.

0 57