10-24-2014, 07:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
People hear this word and either cringe or eagerly wait to try a new rendering.I actually like the stuff. My mom makes her version and one is immediately consumed, a few gifted and a few more soaked in brandy and put up to age. I even pack it as my main 'survival food' on extended outdoor adventures; laughing at people trying to cook MREs on a stick over fire or those wretched power bars.
But, there is a new ritual these last few years. It's simply assembling some of the ingredients. My mom uses CITRON, those candied little squares of coloured fruit. You ask a clerk ( Paper or plastic, ; have a good one, as they check their texts for the 50th time) and 9 out of 10 gives a blank look. 'Uh, you want GUMMY BEARS?'
we are lucky, in having a place called THE NUT HOUSE in nearby Somis CA. They sell every imaginable nut, dried fruit, local honey, heirloom beans and fancy candies and jam.
Another new tradition; taking out a small LOAN to pay for this stuff! I've even added a frog gig to my recyclable stick and look like some primal hunter with multiple spears. Around November I begin seeing commercial Fruitcakes tossed out by their recipients. This, along with a disheartening quantity of water bottles - UNOPENED by people who move out. I scored 23, still in a bulk box yesterday AND two Peregrino glass bottles.WE ARE IN A DROUGHT PEOPLE.
If we ever have 'the Big One' along the San Andreas, I'll be ready; fruitcake and designer waterBiggrin

2 3,171
 10-24-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
fruitcake & nutcase Biggrin

by fruicake - you mean something like this?

http://www.figgys.co.uk

7 1,624
 10-24-2014, 09:39 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Yes, that's one variation of hundreds. Think longterm preserved food like all that Viking stuff you eat. It's the vegetarian equal to lutefische Biggrin

2 3,171
 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM
User Info
lutefisk is really nothing for me. equals to jellyfish in my opinion.

on the other hand - rakfisk is delicious.

[Image: uzBK2WC.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-24-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
Fruitcake is fantastic stuff! I don't know why it's so scorned. Yes indeed great survival rations. I wouldn't want only fruitcake, but for a short time it would work as 100% rations.

I suppose I'd try the lutefisk or rakfisk if I ever saw it for sale. I think lutefisk is made in the upper Midwest here in the USA.

32 6,459
 10-27-2014, 04:38 PM
User Info
I ate fruit cake for the first time at my moms house in the mid 1990's. It was the one that comes in the tin. It was actually very good and great with a cup of coffee.

0 1,007
 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
I have never enjoyed it. We used to have it at Christmas when I was younger as a tradition and the only good thing about it was finding the gold-plated piece of jewellery that was hidden inside which was supposed to bring you great luck and you were the important person for that day! It hurt quite a bit those times when you forgot about the jewellery hidden in the cake. Biggrin

83 21,077
 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Fruitcake reminds me of Arko, as it polarizes people. Fruitcake doesn't really taste like cake, and it doesn't really taste like fruit, but some candied, artificial, "MacDonald's" version of fruit, and cake. I almost don't even like the thought of fruitcake, as it means someone spent hours of their time preparing their seasonal masterpiece, and were so kind as to bring it over to share it with us. I then have to at least sample it, and with a smile on my face, tell them how wonderful it is. I much prefer the neighbor who brings over a platter of those wonderful Christmas cookies, the ones that nearly melt in your mouth, or even better, the neighbor who shares a bottle of good scotch during the holidays. Fruitcake, it's too much like the 20 year-old canned rations I had to eat in Vietnam.

38 5,108
 10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I enjoy fruitcake with some nice strong black coffee.

17 439