10-25-2014, 05:49 AM
User Info
How do you take care of a safety razor after a shave?

0 98
 10-25-2014, 05:54 AM
User Info
I have all vintage Gillettes with the original finishes. I usually just wipe them down with a microfiber towel between uses. When I change the blade, I'll use some liquid hand soap and an old tooth brush. Every once in a while, I'll use a liquid metal polish, that states its for nickel, on the nickel razors to remove some tarnish. I NEVER use it on the gold razors, that would be bad news.

21 555
 10-25-2014, 06:07 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-25-2014, 05:49 AM)Alex7 Wrote: How do you take care of a safety razor after a shave?

I completely disassemble the razor (mine is a Standard Razors razor) after every shave; I rinse all four (including the blade) pieces in running hot water; then I wipe the three permanent pieces, and blot the blade, with a terrycloth towel. Between shaves. I store the blade atop an inverted plastic dose cup that originally came on a bottle of Vick's cough syrup; that allows air to circulate around most of the surface of the blade to evaporate any residual moisture left behind when I blotted the blade.

1 1,089
 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM
User Info
Rinse it in very hot water, shake and put aside to dry. I'm I'm not going to use it for a while, I take the blade out and give the razor a wipe down.

Every once in a while I run the razor through the ultrasonic cleaner after giving it a scrub with an old toothbrush and some dish washing liquid.

3 4,510
 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
I rinse it well in hot water and set it in a vintage shaving mug to dry. If there is any residual product left on the head I carefully wipe it down with a soft towel. I use Dawn dish soap with a soft toothbrush when needed.

0 4
 10-25-2014, 06:58 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
3/1 ratio of distilled water ( heated) and white vinegar if razor builds up deposits from hard water. A dab of petroleum jelly on the threads once a month and a wipe down with a silicon cloth ( found at sporting goods stores)when I remember to do it.
Oh, and I keep it aligned with Stonehenge on Salisbury U.K.

2 3,171
 10-25-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy:
quick rinse in hot water followed by cold - then shake and let it dry by itself with blade inside. looks like this after continuous use for 72 shaves (only twice did i wash it in liquid soap and only thrice did i polish it lightly with a paper towel):

[Image: pQfoAUd.jpg]

ps: how do you do it yourself alex?

7 1,624
 10-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I just rinse and wipe down but I do remove blade before hand and put it back before putting away. With my Stainless Steel (Pils, Feather D2) they get once a month placed in the dishwasher unassembled and go through a wash with dishes to look like new.

2 479
 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM
User Info
Rinse everything in hot water, dry, and store blade separately in its paper. I have never had any issues and it only takes 30 seconds or so. Biggrin

83 21,078
 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Way too fast...my way is so much longer....rinse..scub with old toothbrush...dry with towel and then a hair dryer...lightl oil all parts and the q-tip every exposed surface with the q-tip lightly coated in oil...assemble..admire for 1/2 hour and then completely rearrange shave cave to feature the newest acquisition...check on the nook to see if you did everything correctly and then before you know it you can shave again because most of the day will be used for making notes and fact checking on line....works for meBiggrinTongue

6 2,028
 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
Rinse in hot water, then cold. Shake to remove water. Occasional cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner and scrub down with toothbrush.

0 1,072
 10-25-2014, 05:13 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Dissassemble, clean and dry blade and put back in original paper. Rinse all parts of razor under hot running water, dry with towel, assemble lightly and store.

2 1,683
 10-25-2014, 07:12 PM
User Info
(10-25-2014, 06:07 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-25-2014, 05:49 AM)Alex7 Wrote: How do you take care of a safety razor after a shave?

I completely disassemble the razor (mine is a Standard Razors razor) after every shave; I rinse all four (including the blade) pieces in running hot water; then I wipe the three permanent pieces, and blot the blade, with a terrycloth towel.

Although many people say not to do this, I also clean my razor and blade after every single shave

11 489
 10-25-2014, 11:07 PM
User Info
I don't do anything. Maybe once or twice a year I clean the razor with some Scrubbing Bubbles but most of the time I don't.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 10-25-2014, 11:16 PM
User Info
I do as Josh does, except it sounds as though he cleans his far more frequently. That coating of soap scum is there to protect the razor. If I need to take a picture I'll clean what I need to. If I had hard water or chlorinated water (I don't) I'd probably need to do more.

OK, now the Rolls, that I dab some Renaissance Wax onto the blade, especially the just stropped edge; to prevent rust. I need to hone it, and before that I'll wipe the blade down with mineral spirits or Acetone to remove the hard wax buildup before honing.

32 6,459
 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I take the blade out, give the razor a light scrub under running water with an old soft toothbrush and some Dawn (apart if I'm using a three piece) rinse the blade, dry the razor with a towel then put the blade back in and that's it.If you shave under running water you don't need to do as much, the running water removes most of the soap scum. I fill the sink with water to shave therefore the razor is a little dirtier after the shave but it's harder to hear the news with the faucet running.

7 2,328
 10-27-2014, 11:05 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I just rinse and let dry. When a white film starts to build, I'll scrub with a toothbrush and some dish soap. Rinse. TTOs usually get lubed every few months. A couple of times a year, I'll also run the TTOs through an ultrasonic just to keep the crud in check.

2 286
 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM
User Info
After my shave I dis-assemble the razor (three piece) and wipe the handle with my towel. Then I rinse separately the two pieces of the head and the blade itself under hot water. I dry the razor head pieces with my towel and blot the blade dry — then re-insert the blade and re-assemble. I do all this after applying my block of alum to my just rinsed face, and then, after drying the razor, I rinse the alum off my face and move on to the aftershave or whatever.
I find that about once every month or two, there is enough soap scum or other schmutz that I will use a toothbrush and perhaps a vinegar solution (one third vinegar) to deep clean, but this is just a preference — I very much doubt that it would affect my shaves adversely unless the buildup was extreme.
I think that the greatest vulnerability of any razor with a plated zamak head is dropping it. Certainly the mounting screw could snap, or the comb could become bent, (as with any razor) but a more insidious possibility is that if the plating on the head is damaged, the metal that this overlay protects can be reached and corroded by water — basically a death sentence for a zamak razor.
Euro

5 395
 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
User Info
(11-23-2014, 10:19 PM)opsimath Wrote: After my shave I dis-assemble the razor (three piece) and wipe the handle with my towel. Then I rinse separately the two pieces of the head and the blade itself under hot water. I dry the razor head pieces with my towel and blot the blade dry — then re-insert the blade and re-assemble. I do all this after applying my block of alum to my just rinsed face, and then, after drying the razor, I rinse the alum off my face and move on to the aftershave or whatever.
I find that about once every month or two, there is enough soap scum or other schmutz that I will use a toothbrush and perhaps a vinegar solution (one third vinegar) to deep clean, but this is just a preference — I very much doubt that it would affect my shaves adversely unless the buildup was extreme.
I think that the greatest vulnerability of any razor with a plated zamak head is dropping it. Certainly the mounting screw could snap, or the comb could become bent, (as with any razor) but a more insidious possibility is that if the plating on the head is damaged, the metal that this overlay protects can be reached and corroded by water — basically a death sentence for a zamak razor.
Euro
This is exactly what I do after every shave with every razor. I haven't had to deep clean other than my original cleaning. ..but my rotation is big enough I rarely use a razor 2 times a month. ..other than my stealth, I can't help reaching for it a a couple extra tones a month

11 61
 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM
User Info
(11-23-2014, 10:19 PM)opsimath Wrote: I think that the greatest vulnerability of any razor with a plated zamak head is dropping it. Certainly the mounting screw could snap, or the comb could become bent, (as with any razor) but a more insidious possibility is that if the plating on the head is damaged, the metal that this overlay protects can be reached and corroded by water — basically a death sentence for a zamak razor.
Euro

so called zamak is not just one and the same thing - it is most certainly different qualities of zamak/alloys. some brands may deteriorate rather quickly, while others will stand the test of time very well. plating in former times could also be quite thin, often with a few small bubbles under the plating or with sharp angles and corners prone to loose a tiny flake. still many of these continue to be excellent shavers, even with the alloy exposed for decades.

further, it is not totally impossible to replate a zamak razor.

7 1,624