10-25-2014, 03:12 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
So, I ended up purchasing the 4 EJ cream scents in tubs, which I knew, from my reading forums, are the same formulations and scents as the Mühle shave creams (as well as their respective shave soaps).

Over the past week, I have done 3 shaves with an EJ cream (all but the Menthol so far), and I have had exceptional shaves from them and the lather has been extremely protective, slick, and moisturizing. What a great combo, huh?

And I got to thinking: these EJ creams remind me of Speick cream, in terms of physical lather and shave performance qualities, and even just the feeling of the straight cream in my fingers. And since Mühle is German, and Speick is German... and since Mühle and EJ are the same formula… maybe the same place who makes the Mühle/EJ creams also makes the Speick cream…….

Check this out:

SPEICK

Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sodium Myristate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Potassium Laurate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Cl 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Limonene, Linalool

Edwin Jagger Formulations:
Cooling Menthol
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Citral, Limonene, Linalool.

Limes & Pomegranate
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Parfum (Fragrance), Punica Granatum Seed Extract, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Limonene, Linalool.

Sandalwood
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Potassium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Hexyl Cinnamal

Aloe Vera
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Parfum (Fragrance), Potassium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool

I put Aloe Vera last because the "aloe" (the defining component) is in a different order than in the others, but you can see the base cream for Speick and EJ/Mühle is the same.
Anything not in bold is either an oil or a scent component… or "aloe" or "menthol". (Also, Speick has a color additive.)

57 2,552
 10-26-2014, 04:43 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
You could very well be on to something, as I don't think Muhle/EJ makes their own creams or soaps.

26 4,895
 10-27-2014, 01:17 AM
User Info
Very strong similarities, it really looks like they are form the same source.
EJ/Mühle don't make their soaps or creams, that's for certain...

2 5,545
 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
You're on to something, Sherlock :-)
Just funny Speick gets all the praise while EJ/Mühle creams gets bashed a lot in here as being mediocre. I bought the Mühle soap in the White sugar porcelain bowls in sandalwood and sea buckthorn. They are nice but not great

24 5,843
 10-29-2014, 04:47 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I agree the soaps are just average veggie soaps, in my limited experience with them so far.
But The creams I get much better results from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,552
 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Now, do you think Muhle or Speick would admit to this? I do know this, what ever Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract is, it is a very healing product both in their shave sticks, cream, and after shave lotion.

175 23,752
 10-31-2014, 08:52 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I do love Speick too, such a fantastic line of products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,552
 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Ah, but are we SURE that Speick actually makes their own product? Perhaps it is another entity entirely that manufactures those creams...

71 1,468
 10-31-2014, 11:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-31-2014, 10:21 AM)Crag Wrote: Ah, but are we SURE that Speick actually makes their own product? Perhaps it is another entity entirely that manufactures those creams...

Go back to sleep Crag, you're mudding the water. Biggrin

175 23,752
 10-31-2014, 11:18 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(10-31-2014, 11:07 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 10:21 AM)Crag Wrote: Ah, but are we SURE that Speick actually makes their own product? Perhaps it is another entity entirely that manufactures those creams...

Go back to sleep Crag, you're mudding the water.
Haha...I know how you love your Speick!

71 1,468
 11-01-2014, 09:50 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-31-2014, 11:07 AM)Johnny Wrote:

Go back to sleep Crag, you're mudding the water. Biggrin

Haha, yeah!! No one said Speick made their own stuff… it was kinda implied in my OP that they do not Biggrin

57 2,552